Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    With Quinn sidelined until at least mid-Sept, he may not be back in game shape by the Blue-White game.

That would leave Duke with only 4 gfuys to share the PG/SG slots Seth, Austin, Dre and Tyler.

So they will likely be split up somehow rather than going with Seth-Austin-Dre- Ryan- Mason starting 5 versus the rest. With Quinn, that would have been possible.

Then Alex Murphy and Mike Gbinije pair off, Ryan and Josh/Miles and Mason vs. Miles/Marshall.

The alternative would be Thornton - Gbinije, Murphy, Hairston and Miles.

So with Todd Z, Duke is very deep among the bigs.

Get well soon Quinn, but don't rush it this time.

Hi all,

Can someone please provide me with a summary of Quinn's history of knee issues? I know that he tore something between his junior and senior year and possibly again before the end of the year, but what is the full history? Sorry if this was covered elsewhere. Thanks in advanced!

-FDD
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Hi all,

Can someone please provide me with a summary of Quinn's history of knee issues? I know that he tore something between his junior and senior year and possibly again before the end of the year, but what is the full history? Sorry if this was covered elsewhere. Thanks in advanced!

-FDD
    See the below thread for discussion on the injury inclusive of links to articles.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...mits-to-Duke!!

Edit: Link corrected now
    Last edited by Newton_14; 08-10-2011 at 10:40 PM.

Rest up, Quinn. Plenty of games ahead of you!!

We look forward to seeing your talents, in the fullness of time.

-- OPK

Is anyone else worried that this is going to be an ongoing issue?

Quote Originally Posted by stillcrazie View Post
    While always possible, I'm not worried.

Undergoing knee surgeries, the muscles around the area (quad, hamstring, calf, hip, etc) can really atrophy after surgery/non-use. That's why rehab is so important to strengthen those muscles back to full capacity.

If I remember correctly, Quinn had a partial ACL tear (or was it a torn meniscus? or both?). The point is (and emphasized for a D1 athlete)...those muscles have to get back to full strength. From what it sounds like according to the articles/interviews posted in this thread, this is a muscle strength issue and not a knee issue. That distinction is quite significant, IMO, and not cause for long-term concern.

Until I read or hear otherwise, I personally remain very optimistic about Quinn's health and future as a Duke Blue Devil.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by stillcrazie View Post
    Do you have a basis for believing it might be an ongoing issue?

Tweet says Quinn Cook back to 100% by mid-Sept

@JayJayESPN
    Jason Jordan My man Quinn Cook (@QCook323) tells me he's "finally 100 percent after a year." In for a big year in Durham! #Duke

So sounds like the mid-Sept prognosis was correct.

With the top 6 probably averaging abour 25 minutes each, seems like Quinn and Tyler compete for about 25 total minutes at combo.

Alex/Mike compete for another 25 at SF/WF2, leaving only about 10 for Josh and Marshall to compete for with MP1-MP2-Ryan garnering 70-75 MPG total at PF/C.

Hope so

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    @JayJayESPN
    Jason Jordan My man Quinn Cook (@QCook323) tells me he's "finally 100 percent after a year." In for a big year in Durham! #Duke

With the top 6 probably averaging abour 25 minutes each, seems like Quinn and Tyler compete for about 25 total minutes at combo.

Alex/Mike compete for another 25 at SF/WF2, leaving only about 10 for Josh and Marshall to compete for with MP1-MP2-Ryan garnering 70-75 MPG total at PF/C.
    Good luck to this young man. I have not seen him play but speculate that he is a critical component, perhaps the wild card, for this year's team. If he is as good as billed, he can really help this team, especially on offense.

I'm ready for the season to start.

@JayJayESPN

No way Seth Curry (who Coach K said could be one of the elite point guards in the country) plays on 15 minutes there. I think only Thornton or Cook breaks the rotation and gets 10 minutes max.

Holy Kabongo Batman!

Sounds like really good news. I also like that QC will have another month before practice officially starts to get back in the swing of playing pick-up ball and mixing in with his teammates.

I look at Quinn as primarily a backup/insurance policy at PG this season, but he could play his way into a bigger role.
    Delighted that he'll have that chance.

Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    No way Seth Curry (who Coach K said could be one of the elite point guards in the country) plays on 15 minutes there. I think only Thornton or Cook breaks the rotation and gets 10 minutes max.
    You are assuming Quinn and Tyler would only play PG while I said combo, not necessarily PG.

I see seven primary Duke lineups, among the almost infinite possibilities.

For sake of disciussion I will use the name Alex where it could be Alex or Mike as the SF bigger than Dre.

Three that feature Seth, Ryan and 1 Plumlee:
    1. the starting lineup in China/Dubai while Mason rests.
    2. with Austin and Alex in high risk high reward and also a third big set when Dre and Miles rests..
    3. with Quinn and Dre in a tradiitional 3 guard shooters paradise when Austin and 1 Plumlee rests.

Ditto with two sets in a 2 Plums and Dre.Seth set:
    4. Again Austin paired with Alex while Ryan and Seth/Dre gets a rest in 3 big set.
    5. Both Dre/Seth and Tyler to shake things up while Austin and Ryan rest.

6, Stall ball/victory formation with Ryan in post, Alex @ WF2, and three of [Austin/Seth/Quinn/Dre] assuming Alex will be a more reliable FT shooter than either Plumlee, and that Austin can hit his fair share of FTs too, which was not the case for most of Duke in China/Dubai.

7. When Duke has a big lead: Marshall if he does not redshirt, Josh, Mike, Tyler and Quinn

One reply was that the top 6 play closer to 30 MPG than 25.

That would leave only 20 MPG to split across: Alex, Quinn, Tyler, Mike, Josh and possibly Marshall. Though on a less deep team they could each play 30 MPG, I assumed 25 max or more likely a total of 140-145 MPG for these 6 with 55-60 MPG shared by other 5 or 6:

25 MPG each - Austin, Seth and Ryan (75)

20-25 each - Miles, Mason and Dre (140-145)

split 25 MPG - Alex/Mike and Quinn/Tyler (190-195)

5+ - Josh (195-200)
    5- Marshall (200)

Josh may be more capable than the 5-10 MPG he played last year (assuming more of Singler's PF minutes) but faces great competition form the 2 Plums and the much improved Ryan Kelly. Mike and Alex are both very promising as are Quinn and Tyler for different reasons, but only so many minutes to go around.

So yes, Seth will play as many minutes as anybody. Whether you consider Seth the PG or the SG in each of these pairings is up to you.

In any event, welcome back Quinn who will have some very positive impact this year and even more in future years.

You are assuming Quinn and Tyler would only play PG while I said combo, not necessarily PG.

I see seven primary Duke lineups, among the almost infinite possibilities.

For sake of disciussion I will use the name Alex where it could be Alex or Mike as the SF bigger than Dre.

Three that feature Seth, Ryan and 1 Plumlee:
    1. the starting lineup in China/Dubai while Mason rests.
    2. with Austin and Alex in high risk high reward and also a third big set when Dre and Miles rests..
    3. with Quinn and Dre in a tradiitional 3 guard shooters paradise when Austin and 1 Plumlee rests.

Ditto with two sets in a 2 Plums and Dre.Seth set:
    4. Again Austin paired with Alex while Ryan and Seth/Dre gets a rest in 3 big set.
    5. Both Dre/Seth and Tyler to shake things up while Austin and Ryan rest.

6, Stall ball/victory formation with Ryan in post, Alex @ WF2, and three of [Austin/Seth/Quinn/Dre] assuming Alex will be a more reliable FT shooter than either Plumlee, and that Austin can hit his fair share of FTs too, which was not the case for most of Duke in China/Dubai.

7. When Duke has a big lead: Marshall if he does not redshirt, Josh, Mike, Tyler and Quinn

That would leave only 20 MPG to split across: Alex, Quinn, Tyler, Mike, Josh and possibly Marshall. Though on a less deep team they could each play 30 MPG, I assumed 25 max or more likely a total of 140-145 MPG for these 6 with 55-60 MPG shared by other 5 or 6:

5+ - Josh (195-200)
    5- Marshall (200)

Josh may be more capable than the 5-10 MPG he played last year (assuming more of Singler's PF minutes) but faces great competition form the 2 Plums and the much improved Ryan Kelly. Mike and Alex are both very promising as are Quinn and Tyler for different reasons, but only so many minutes to go around.

So yes, Seth will play as many minutes as anybody. Whether you consider Seth the PG or the SG in each of these pairings is up to you.

In any event, welcome back Quinn who will have some very positive impact this year and even more in future years.
    Some good points here; however I take issue with the idea of Seth only playing 25 MPG. Perhaps your minutes predictions will be true for the 4 games in December... I have been following Duke basketball since 1983 and can not remember a time when our best guard played less than 30 MPG in all that time. Coach has said he is our point guard, so I believe he will play about 33 MPG. Also, you have Ryan at 25 but Miles and Mason at 20-25. Unless foul problems severely limit them I see them at 25 MPG each. I don't see Josh or Marshall playing much, sorry to say.
    The Gordog

5+ - Josh (195-200)
    5- Marshall (200)

I think you are probably overestimating the minutes those guys will get, it's probably safer to say that between the 4 of them they'll get 25mpg for all games played.
    I also think Seth will play more than 30 minutes, and 25 mpg is probably the low end for MP I@II.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gordog View Post
    Some good points here; however I take issue with the idea of Seth only playing 25 MPG. Perhaps your minutes predictions will be true for the 4 games in December... I have been following Duke basketball since 1983 and can not remember a time when our best guard played less than 30 MPG in all that time. Coach has said he is our point guard, so I believe he will play about 33 MPG. Also, you have Ryan at 25 but Miles and Mason at 20-25. Unless foul problems severely limit them I see them at 25 MPG each. I don't see Josh or Marshall playing much, sorry to say.
    I couldn't agree more. I would also add that unless AR proves that he can play consistent, better team defense, make the hustle plays that don't show up in the stats and not take plays off when something doesn't go his way...then he will not be averaging the predicted 25 MPG...it could be a lot closer to 15.

Quote Originally Posted by duke blue brewcrew View Post
    I couldn't agree more. I would also add that unless AR proves that he can play consistent, better team defense, make the hustle plays that don't show up in the stats and not take plays off when something doesn't go his way...then he will not be averaging the predicted 25 MPG...it could be a lot closer to 15.
    I believe that I have about as good a chance at averaging 15 mpg at Duke this year as Austin has of averaging as little as 15 mpg. I agree that he will improve his team defense and perhaps his body language, but I doubt very much that Austin will average fewer than 25 minutes per game.

5+ - Josh (195-200)
    5- Marshall (200)
    I hate to quibble over a preseason estimate of mpg (okay, I love doing it), but I disagree here. I think you're about 10 mpg low on the Rivers/Curry/Kelly combo, and I think those 10 will come from Rivers and Curry. I think Curry will average 30+ mpg, and I wouldn't be surprised if Rivers did as well. And I'd expect 25+ mpg from Dawkins. So I think we'll be at about 150-160 mpg for the top six guys, not 140-145.

That leaves only 40-50 mpg for the reserves. I don't see both Hairston and Marshall averaging 5 mpg. I'd expect to see Hairston get 5-10 mpg and Marshall to play very sparingly (~2-3mpg). That leaves about 30-40 mpg for the quartet of Cook, Gbinije, Murphy, and Thornton.

And Who Else Says Quin is Ready?

@JayJayESPN

I am happy to hear that Quin MIGHT be ready to play, but this is a pretty slender piece of intelligence on which to launch a festival of euphoria. Do we have other confirming evidence. Maybe something from the coaching staff?

sagegrouse

Though on a less deep team they could each play 30 MPG, I assumed 25 max or more likely a total of 140-145 MPG for these 6 with 55-60 MPG shared by other 5 or 6...
    I understand this is a very deep team, but I think your 25 max assumption is unrealistic, given Coach K's history.

Here is a table showing how many Duke players averaged 30 or more minutes and 28 or more minutes (rounding to the nearest minute, e.g., 29.7 = 30) during Coach K's tenure at Duke:

Code:
    Year     # of players 30 or more mpg        # of players 28 or more mpg
    ----     ---------------------------        ---------------------------
    2011                 2                                    2
    2010                 3                                    3
    2009                 3                                    3
    2008                 1                                    4
    2007                 4                                    4
    2006                 4                                    4
    2005                 3                                    3
    2004                 4                                    4
    2003                 3                                    4
    2002                 3                                    5
    2001                 2                                    5
    2000                 3                                    4
    1999                 2                                    4
    1998                 0                                    1
    1997                 2                                    2
    1996                 4                                    4
    1995                 2                                    3
    1994                 4                                    4
    1993                 3                                    4
    1992                 5                                    5
    1991                 2                                    2
    1990                 3                                    3
    1989                 3                                    3
    1988                 2                                    4
    1987                 2                                    3
    1986                 3                                    4
    1985                 3                                    3
    1984                 3                                    4
    1983                 1                                    2
    1982                 3                                    3
    1981                 4                                    4
    So, in all but three of Coach K's 31 seasons, we have had 2 or more players who played 30 or more minutes. In all but five seasons we have had 3 or more players who played 28 or more minutes. But not even on the deepest team in Coach K's Duke career (1997-98) did the top minute-getter max out at 25 mpg (top minute-getter in 1997-98 played 29 mpg).

Historically speaking, the odds are overwhelming that two players this season will play at least 30 mpg and that a third player will play 28 mpg or more. You might as well work that in to your otherwise reasonable and well-thought out analysis.