The Court & Fan Seating

I was watching the game and noticed that in the end zones, only the lower half of the letters D U K E was visible due to the media sitting there. But then I realized it's not their fault, it's because they've been pushed forward as a result of all the floor seating added in both end zones.

I have to say, I'm not a fan. D U K E should be able to be clearly seen in full in the end zones.

I understand the fine line between revenue & special guests vs available space (believe me, I definitely get it), but the line has to be drawn somewhere, and literally it was drawn through the middle of the letters D U K E (via tape for media spacing). Would it be so horrible to lose one row of seating at each end and back everyone up behind the letters? It just doesn't look good. It's not right.

Ok, off my soapbox now. Just wondering what others may think.

(Side note: I made this a separate post because it's a trend that seems to have been coming for some time now- not exclusive to the Princeton game.)

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    I was watching the game and noticed that in the end zones, only the lower half of the letters D U K E was visible due to the media sitting there. But then I realized it's not their fault, it's because they've been pushed forward as a result of all the floor seating added in both end zones.

I have to say, I'm not a fan. D U K E should be able to be clearly seen in full in the end zones.

I understand the fine line between revenue & special guests vs available space (believe me, I definitely get it), but the line has to be drawn somewhere, and literally it was drawn through the middle of the letters D U K E (via tape for media spacing). Would it be so horrible to lose one row of seating at each end and back everyone up behind the letters? It just doesn't look good. It's not right.

(Side note: I made this a separate post because it's a trend that seems to have been coming for some time now- not exclusive to the Princeton game.)
    I've always noticed that and was thinking that today. I wish they would make the entire "DUKE" visible.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post

http://www.myteamprints.com/popup_im...Picture&area=C

here's a shot from 4 years ago...no different...the first people off the court are the photographers...and they're going to get as close to the court as allowed per NCAA rules (assuming they exist...) regardless of whether there are seats right behind them or not
    1200. DDMF.

It's been that way for the better part of a decade, even for the 4 years I was in school. It's going to be like that for decades to come. People want to be closer to the action, and that includes the photographers. The photographers would probably put on a jersey and run the court if they could!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Obvious... or ignorant on my part? What about reducing the height of the letters so the fit up to that "line", and also stretching the letters out to keep some "bigness" to it. I realize it would deviate from the "normal" DUKE logo "dimensions", but at least it wouldn't be covered up like it is. I'm even for keeping the "dimensions" even if it results in a smaller DUKE.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    Obvious... or ignorant on my part? What about reducing the height of the letters so the fit up to that "line", and also stretching the letters out to keep some "bigness" to it. I realize it would deviate from the "normal" DUKE logo "dimensions", but at least it wouldn't be covered up like it is. I'm even for keeping the "dimensions" even if it results in a smaller DUKE.
    i think you underestimate the task of just changing the logo on the end of floor
    1200. DDMF.

Well this shows that the older I get, either I'm more ignorant or less tolerant. Either way, I still don't like that only half of DUKE shows.

I have noticed that some schools will write something in the top half of the area (the half where guests/media are sitting), and then have the schools name/nickname in the lower half (below the line, where no one is allowed to be). That way, the school's name can clearly be seen. That seems to remedy the situation, but then again, not a lot of schools have gone that route.

I mean really, with lenses on cameras these days, does the media still need to encroach the court? (said half tongue in cheek)