Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by billy View Post
    Question: Before you go, can you just address where Harrison's at (if you don't mind)?

Roy: In the locker room
    not gonna lie...that's pretty funny
    April 1

Harrison Barnes deserves all the ridicule and criticism he gets.

Generally as decent human beings we want everyone to do well. It's the whole 'do well' part that needs some review. From a purely sports perspective, I want Harrison to not only fail, but FAIL MISERABLY. I'm not wishing ill health upon him and I don't care if he ends up a multi-millionaire... however, by putting on that UNC jersey, I wish him 0-for-14 performances every night, crying on the sidelines, and analysts talking about him going down as one of the biggest overly-hyped busts of all time. Yes, I wish him to do that poorly.

Don't let the better half of you feel bad for this kid. It was clear to everyone that before he played a second of college basketball that his ego was the size of Canada. I don't think there has ever been a freshman basketball player in the history of the NCAA that has given themselves a nick-name and has tried to perpetuate said nickname by wearing a heavy chain around campus (for those who don't know, the nickname is 'Black Falcon,' and that medallion dangles from Harrison's neck). Name me a freshman player who before playing a single college game, walked around campus wearing an 'I'm that Dude' t-shirt. Think about how his team-mates felt about that, after coming off one of the worst seasons in UNC's history. Remember skype-fest? This kid deserves all the ridicule he's getting... and as Duke fans, we have a duty to layer it on thick.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorns View Post

Generally as decent human beings we want everyone to do well. It's the whole 'do well' part that needs some review. From a purely sports perspective, I want Harrison to not only fail, but FAIL MISERABLY. I'm not wishing ill health upon him and I don't care if he ends up a multi-millionaire... however, by putting on that UNC jersey, I wish him 0-for-14 performances every night, crying on the sidelines, and analysts talking about him going down as one of the biggest overly-hyped busts of all time. Yes, I wish him to do that poorly.

Don't let the better half of you feel bad for this kid. It was clear to everyone that before he played a second of college basketball that his ego was the size of Canada. I don't think there has ever been a freshman basketball player in the history of the NCAA that has given themselves a nick-name and has tried to perpetuate said nickname by wearing a heavy chain around campus (for those who don't know, the nickname is 'Black Falcon,' and that medallion dangles from Harrison's neck). Name me a freshman player who before playing a single college game, walked around campus wearing an 'I'm that Dude' t-shirt. Think about how his team-mates felt about that, after coming off one of the worst seasons in UNC's history. Remember skype-fest? This kid deserves all the ridicule he's getting... and as Duke fans, we have a duty to layer it on thick.
    Well said.

Look there's no one else who thought that he completely manipulated and played the Duke coaching staff more than me. I also agree that his ego is the size of Canada. (Don't forget how he constantly compares himself to Kobe)

At the same, we have to remember he's an 18-year-old kid with a lot of maturing to do. I don't wish him to play well, but I do hope he figures life out. He's not the next Durant or Kobe; he just doesn't have the tenacity or killer instinct. At this point, he looks like the next Marvin Williams (highly regarded for potential but average NBA player).

Interesting take...

... but even if I make that awkward leap and conclude Mr. Barnes "deserves" pain, I'm thankful I can still choose to allow one's comeuppance to flow from one's failures rather than anointing myself the rapier-tongued castigator of youthful egoism.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTeuf View Post
    ... but even if I make that awkward leap and conclude Mr. Barnes "deserves" pain, I'm thankful I can still choose to allow one's comeuppance to flow from one's failures rather than anointing myself the rapier-tongued castigator of youthful egoism.
    I'm not anointing myself anything. And I don't think Barnes 'deserves' pain. I simply want him to fail in all aspects on the basketball court during his UNC years (if he becomes a starter in the pros, good for him). There is no need to be gushy/feel bad for any player on our arch-rival simply because they're having a rough stretch in the early season. His inflated ego does make it easier though Question: Why do some Duke fans 'feel bad' for Harrison, but don't have the same thoughts and feelings for Larry Drew? If anything Larry Drew has had to deal with more criticism from his own fan-base and coach more than anyone in recent years.
    Last edited by DevilHorns; 11-29-2010 at 08:30 PM.

I don't think there has ever been a freshman basketball player in the history of the NCAA that has given themselves a nick-name and has tried to perpetuate said nickname by wearing a heavy chain around campus (for those who don't know, the nickname is 'Black Falcon,' and that medallion dangles from Harrison's neck).
    The Black Falcon thing is over the top, and does invite ridicule, which invitation I will for now decline, in favor of returning to the Heels' upcoming schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Nov. 30, 2010 at Illinois
    Dec. 4, 2010 Kentucky
    Dec. 8, 2010 at Evansville
    Dec. 11, 2010 Long Beach St.
    Dec. 18, 2010 Texas
    Dec. 21, 2010 William & Mary
    Dec. 28, 2010 at Rutgers

Are there 3 losses (or more) in this stretch of games for the Heels? Could be.
    The Heels have an interesting December [starting in November]. They need 5 wins coming up. Four might do, but 3 wouldn't. They're a little fragile just now - as is the fanbase, whose woofing about last night's win is whistling past the graveyard.

The Heels gotta win some games against solid competition.

The comment wasn't that bad - here's a transcript:

Question: Before you go, can you just address where Harrison's at (if you don't mind)?

Roy: In the locker room

Question: As a player, on the court

Roy: He's a wonderful young man, who, if he were to be stressing or pressing, he wouldn't tell you if it killed him, so, freshmen sometimes have to learn... (goes on to talk about Phil Ford, Lawson, other freshmen)...Harrison's a very intelligent young man, he'll figure it out
    I had the same reaction to the video. Roy provides plenty of fodder for his critics, but you really have to stretch this one to find something inappropriate. In context it's clear he's using the phrase "if it killed him" as a common expression of speech. Relative to what he usually has to say about his players, this qualifies as effusive praise; the sort of praise you'd expect for a preseason AA.

Black Falcon? HA! Are you serious? Wow he wants to be Kobe so badly he even anointed himself a similar nickname. Crazies take note here, now THERE is something to work with. Perhaps a list of suggestions for other nicknames best suited for Mr Falcon ahem... I mean Barnes?
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

...Harrison's a very intelligent young man, he'll figure it out
    I can throw out some big words in my interviews too...then ppl will think im smart. Barnes is no more or less intelligent than your average kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockabeau View Post
    I can throw out some big words in my interviews too...then ppl will think im smart. Barnes is no more or less intelligent than your average kid.
    I think he's more intelligent than the average college student-athlete (I'm guessing that was your comparison). His academic record in high school was littered with AP courses. Most college student-athletes did not take AP courses in high school.

I for one don't think HB is that smart. He chose a lesser academic institution to attend, he offended the best and probably the most repected coach in America, he wore a tee that asked everyones attention this summer and he compares himself to somebody little kids pretend they are when the play hoops in their driveways. Talking the talk but not walking the walk that's that dude.

Quote Originally Posted by BattierBattalion View Post
    Look there's no one else who thought that he completely manipulated and played the Duke coaching staff more than me.
    that's not entirely accurate....

i've said it from the start that i think HWNSNBM set K and Duke up from the gitgo...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

If Harry is going to have an action figure and use this nickname he may have to fight Marvel Comics....

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Black Falcon? HA! Are you serious?
    Indeed.... I had no idea either. Will the real Black Falcon please rise...

or

or

Last edited by wilko; 11-29-2010 at 10:51 PM. Reason: make images work...

Quote Originally Posted by Cockabeau View Post
    Do you have any basis whatsoever for this statement? Have you ever met him? Do you know anything about his academic record?

I'm not anointing myself anything. And I don't think Barnes 'deserves' pain. I simply want him to fail in all aspects on the basketball court during his UNC years (if he becomes a starter in the pros, good for him). There is no need to be gushy/feel bad for any player on our arch-rival simply because they're having a rough stretch in the early season. His inflated ego does make it easier though Question: Why do some Duke fans 'feel bad' for Harrison, but don't have the same thoughts and feelings for Larry Drew? If anything Larry Drew has had to deal with more criticism from his own fan-base and coach more than anyone in recent years.
    I actually do feel kind of bad for Drew, and I don't particularly feel bad for Barnes. And I can hold those opinions without wishing either of them well on the basketball court. I want their team to lose, but I don't spend a lot of effort wishing them to poor individual performances. The bottom line is, except when they play Duke, I don't really care about either of these guys one way or the other.

My issue is I don't understand all the vitriol. HB decided to attend UNC rather than Duke. He hammed it up in a silly, childlike way. Well, he was still in high school, so I'm not sure why that surprised anyone. Or bothered anyone. Why do you care so much?

Speaking only for myself, I'm tired of all the Roy-bashing and I'm tired of all the HB-bashing. I'm enjoying UNC's struggles, no question, but I don't have to be petty and childish myself in order to enjoy it properly, do I?

I honestly don't think that he is that intelligent. Don't get me wrong, he is not dumb, but most of what he comes off as is simply well coached.

The "bashing" is simply fun. The reason that it is so fun is that they both have this disconnected reality that they never step out of. UNC fans kept them protected in a bubble while they UNC was winning, but it is simply nice to be able to laugh at the blunders of a man who was proclaimed to have overtaken K (the greatest coach in the game). Some of their behavior comes off as almost intentionally comedic. It is like the late Leslie Nielsen (RIP, that guy was amazing). Both of these guys say absurd things with a straight face, and it creates a surreal spectacle that gives you two choices, laugh at them or feel disgusted with the reality that they mean what they just said.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Speaking only for myself, I'm tired of all the Roy-bashing and I'm tired of all the HB-bashing. I'm enjoying UNC's struggles, no question, but I don't have to be petty and childish myself in order to enjoy it properly, do I?
    You're not speaking only for yourself. Far too many of the posts in this thread make me groan.

Roy is one of the top coaches in college basketball right now, who happens to be in a what they call a down-swing. I've heard that even coach K had a couple of those. Barnes, for his part, has had a simply okay start to what will probably become a stellar collegiate career. Anyone who says otherwise is speaking in absurd hyperbole.

(Whew... I feel like I haven't posted in a while. Hope I shook off all the rust.)
    Last edited by Jderf; 11-29-2010 at 11:42 PM. Reason: ... most definitely did not shake off the rust.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Black Falcon? HA! Are you serious? Wow he wants to be Kobe so badly he even anointed himself a similar nickname. Crazies take note here, now THERE is something to work with. Perhaps a list of suggestions for other nicknames best suited for Mr Falcon ahem... I mean Barnes?
    Here's something that can help:
    http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/58683421

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    ... Speaking only for myself, I'm tired of all the Roy-bashing and I'm tired of all the HB-bashing. I'm enjoying UNC's struggles, no question, but I don't have to be petty and childish myself in order to enjoy it properly, do I?
    You don't have to be petty and childish to enjoy it, but it would apparently help

Actually, your post is accusing others of being petty and childish. Feel free to rise above those of us willing to play in the mud, but try not to step on us when making your accent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    ... Roy is one of the top coaches in college basketball right now, who happens to be in a what they call a down-swing. ...
    Could compare this to a golfer who loses his swing. Some NEVER get it back. It has happened to coaches as well.

Speaking (briefly) without hyperbole, it can be said that ol' roy is a bit on edge, and has exhibited some VERY poor choices in dealing with his "student-athletes" and their families. At his age, with his list of accomplishments, and his admitted enjoyment of free time (and golf requires a LOT of free time) - perhaps he is wondering if this continual battle with Coach K and Coach K's legacy is worth it? The year everything was SUPPOSED to be going his way (defending champions, #1 recruit newly signed), everything went to hell (unc sucks, Duke wins NC, Singler stays, Duke gets Rivers, Wears bolt). Things don't seem to be turning around for him, has his fire died out?