Thread: JWill

JWill

I saw JWill last night at a bar in Durham as well as Alison Bales and some other Duke women's b-ball alumnae. Anybody know what JWill is up to these days? I thought he used to do some commentary on TNT, but I haven't seen him lately...seeing him just made me curious. He looked pretty sharp though!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I saw JWill last night at a bar in Durham as well as Alison Bales and some other Duke women's b-ball alumnae. Anybody know what JWill is up to these days? I thought he used to do some commentary on TNT, but I haven't seen him lately...seeing him just made me curious. He looked pretty sharp though!
    Word was from one of the players that he is an agent! My source is about 99% reliable, so I have to believe it. However, I can't find anything on the Internet to support that.

Might be a really good interim position for him!
    DukeDevilDeb

Quote Originally Posted by jacone21 View Post
    Hmmm. I wonder where Jason got this philosophy from? I believe it was from Coach K!

Serving as Ceruzzi's Vice President, Mr. Williams translates his firsthand knowledge of the selection process into effective action plans for clients. He believes in providing clients with a strategic structure to maximize their leadership potential - not just in basketball but, more importantly, in the game of life.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I hope he does well. John Lucas also works there? Interesting. Any hints as to who some of their clients might be?

Good luck J!

What bar was this? Is this a frequent for some of the old players? Jwill is in my 5 (in Charles Barkley's voice)

Quote Originally Posted by dukebballcamper90-91 View Post
    What bar was this? Is this a frequent for some of the old players? Jwill is in my 5 (in Charles Barkley's voice)
    It was at Shooters II...a budget western style saloon that all current Dukies know very well. I don't think I'd call it a b-ball hangout, but some nights a huge percentage of the student body is there so you do see current b-ball players occasionally (off season) since that's where all the action is at. It's not a very classy joint, though, to be honest, so I don't think former players frequent it. It has a mechanical bull and an elevated cage to dance in, what more can you ask for?

JWill was the "first athlete at Duke to earn his degree in just three years"? Hard to believe, but I guess it could be true...If it said "first men's basketball player," that'd make more sense to me.

thanks for the info

JWill is my #1. I never enjoyed watching a player tear defenses apart more than I did that guy. I own two Duke jerseys to this day, one a 33 Hill jersey from camp (bought it the year we were there camper) and the other is JWill's #22 in black, my favorite player to ever come through the program. (My viewing started in '85 at age 8 with my dad)

I agree, J-Will will always hold a special place for me. It started when I played pickup soccer against him freshman year, I didn't know a lot about basketball or our players, but it was a rough game and I actually slidetackled him, not knowing who he was. I figured something was up when everyone on the field gasped and stopped moving. He was fine obviously and laughed and said he was glad someone was actually playing seriously with him. I had no idea how close I had come to earning a scholarship to Carolina till after the fact when someone explained who he was to the foreign kid on the field (me).

During spring break, the only people left on campus seemingly were the basketball players and me (I didn't have the money for any good trips). So I basically hung around with them and shot pool...a lot. I discovered that J has an unfair skill in pretty much everything he's ever done. I'm a pretty good pool player and he absolutely schooled me. I mean embarassed me out there. I think I took a total of 4 shots in 3 games. In addition he was really good at the previously mentioned soccer, easily could have been on Duke's D1 squad. Plus a host of other sports and such.

That summer, I was an RA for the TIP program, and I had a bunch of kids come out of a martial arts show. J said he wanted to come out afterwards to meet the kids (since a few were huge basketball fans) but I didn't hold my breath, thinking he had a lot better things to do. After the show, we held a self defense training seminar on the quad and, true to his word, he and Nick Horvath snuck into the circle and joined in the lesson. People quickly realized who he was and chaos broke out. It was a total blast and to this day one of my residents still writes me about it.

Like I said, he's always going to have a special place for me, I just wish I got to watch him in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    ... you do see current b-ball players occasionally (off season) ...
    Off season, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    Off season, huh?
    What I meant to say was that b-ball players are much more likely to go out to bars/clubs when they are not in the middle of the ACC schedule, have more time, and can drink without heavy training the next day. Do you disagree? I'd always see b-ball players out in April after the season was over and early in the year. From Jan - March wouldn't see them as much - but occasionally if they had a long break in between games. This is a major digression from the point of the thread...sorry.