Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: UNC-Chapel Hill 88, Duke 70, Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here. And remember to avoid bashing or venting.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Seth Davis does it again.

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Put your post-game thoughts here. And remember to avoid bashing or venting.
    BASHHHH!!!!

VENT!!!!

amazing what carolina did when they decided to play defense...

we had a monster half on the offensive side in the second half...46 points...that's huge

but we gave up 48 and 40....same story as all year...defense, and rebounding
    1200. DDMF.

NIGHTMARE 1st half was too much to overcome.

Off shooting night (variance) and -20 on the boards.

We simply have to figure out a way for our shooting to not affect the performance on the other end. It seems if we are off shooting our Defensive intensity/focus/effort/etc... all takes a hit as well.

It's hard to come back from the lowest-scoring first half of the year. Solid second half. Regular season ACC championship doesn't mean anything. On to the ACC Tournament.

Just glad that is over with. Gotta give credit to UNC.

Plumlees should gain confidence on offensive end from this game. Especially Mason. IF they do then that could be huge going forward into the tournaments. I think we will be fine around the perimeter

I don't buy the "there is a lot to learn from this game" angle. What I learned is what everyone knows. If you can't shoot and can't stop the other team from scoring/rebounding, you lose. The guys played hard for the full 40, just started off so bad

ouch

Too deep a hole to dig out of. Some good offensive play by Miles and Mason in the 2nd half. Wished Seth had made that 3 to cut the lead to single digits...

That really hurt

That really, really hurt. Maybe next time... yeow!!

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    It's hard to come back from the lowest-scoring first half of the year. Great second half. Regular season ACC championship doesn't mean anything. On to the ACC Tournament.
    Correct me if I am wrong but if I am not mistaken there is no such thing as an ACC Regular Season championship. I thought the ACC adopted a rule in like the 60s saying it crowned only one champion (the winner of the ACC tourny).

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    NIGHTMARE 1st half was too much to overcome.

Off shooting night (variance) and -20 on the boards.

We simply have to figure out a way for our shooting to not affect the performance on the other end. It seems if we are off shooting our Defensive intensity/focus/effort/etc... all takes a hit as well.
    I disagree about its affect on our defense. We had a monster second half on offense...and still gave up 40 points despite the fact that they were playing stall from 10 minutes out. They're just a really friggin good team, and once we couldn't hit a shot, we couldn't stop them consistently enough to come back
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    BASHHHH!!!!

VENT!!!!

amazing what carolina did when they decided to play defense...

we had a monster half on the offensive side in the second half...46 points...that's huge

but we gave up 48 and 40....same story as all year...defense, and rebounding
    Think the second half defense was a lot better - in the first half UNC was getting the shots they wanted and hitting them; in the second half they were getting shots they didn't want and hitting them. Not much to be done about that except not getting into a 26-point hole to start with.

28% from 3...not going to work against Carolina. No matter how much Hubert Davis wants to say that Carolina turned us into a 2 pt shooting team we had good looks, just didn't knock them down. Here's hoping we get a rematch in Atlanta. That is if Roy decides he gives a s*** about the ACC tournament.

What the hell does that mean?

Doug Gottlieb: "Duke is not as good as their record is." Huh?!?!?!? We played the 4th best schedule of the year and were No 2 in the RPI, and we're not as good as our record?

I buy that UNC is better than their record (when they decide to play), but I don't get that comment at all.

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    It's hard to come back from the lowest-scoring first half of the year. Solid second half. Regular season ACC championship doesn't mean anything. On to the ACC Tournament.
    Wrong. It means plenty. Every championship means something. If they don't mean anything then why does K put banners in the rafters for them?

Coming into this year, if you told me, we'd be #3 ranked team, with the chance at home to win ACC against UNC, I'd take that. This is supposed to be their year yet we were ranked ahead of them. I can't complain too much. We never seemed to play well at Cameron and luckily that is our last game there. K and this team always rebounds from bad losses and if we don't spot them a 20 point lead, we played even with them. Overall, apart from losing to UNC, we did split with them so far and I'd have to think if we see them next weekend, we'll have more motivation. But I do think we can use this as a learning tool, our defense still is lacking, perhaps we can learn in the first two rounds but going into the NCAA tourney, I am more confident than when I started the year.

To paraphrase Herm Edwards "To win the game, you must make shots".

In the first half, we simply just missed a ton of wide open shots. Despite what Dickie V was saying...this was two evenly matched teams (both good at offense, both not so good at defense). They had John Henson hitting 17 foot jumpers...we had missed layups. Sigh.

The Dukies will come back from this.
    Windy City Devil

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I disagree about its affect on our defense. We had a monster second half on offense...and still gave up 40 points despite the fact that they were playing stall from 10 minutes out. They're just a really friggin good team, and once we couldn't hit a shot, we couldn't stop them consistently enough to come back
    I'm not saying we are a "good" defensive team when we hit shots (clearly we are not). However, we are a really bad defensive team when we do not hit shots and just an average defense when we do. I think K has said several times this year that our offense affects our D.

Quote Originally Posted by barjwr View Post
    Doug Gottlieb: "Duke is not as good as their record is." Huh?!?!?!? We played the 4th best schedule of the year and were No 2 in the RPI, and we're not as good as our record?

I buy that UNC is better than their record (when they decide to play), but I don't get that comment at all.
    Having a difficult schedule does not mean that one can not be as good as their record.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by barjwr View Post

Gottlieb hates Duke, plain and simple. Can't say I completely disagree with him but he is always negative towards Duke

I actually think this is good for going into the ACC tournament. Hope to light a fire and all.