Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    All I can say is that along the range of all cases of classless sportsmanship with Chaney using a goon to hurt someone in a game at the higher end of classless things I've seen, that dunk was at the lower end.

"K is not exactly the model of class if the use of foul and abusive language is classless."

wooden was the worst, and it WAS directed at the opposing players.

Quote Originally Posted by grossbus View Post
    "K is not exactly the model of class if the use of foul and abusive language is classless."

wooden was the worst, and it WAS directed at the opposing players.
    Interesting. Irrelevant, but interesting.

I didn't see the play, and basing this on the posts.

Was Lawson ever mentioned as going to the NBA next year? If so, maybe he was padding his NBA resume...

Thumbs down Speaking of no class....

You should see what the State fans are saying about Lawson. It starts with "I would seriously take a baseball bat to Lawson's face right now" and just gets a whole lot worse from there.

Internet fan boards (with DBR being an exception) never cease to amaze me with the depths to which they sink.

That's a highly student-driven board. Most of their boards aren't like that.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    That's a highly student-driven board. Most of their boards aren't like that.
    Fair point... I meant to say some State fans, not all State fans. All the same, it's pretty bad stuff, and I'm not sure whether the fact that those comments are mostly coming from NCSU students makes it better or worse.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

student board? are you sure it's not a KKK hangout?

About Lawson

We're talking about a freshman player who put an exclamation on his team's first conference championship since 98. Was it unnecessary? Sure but not really classless. I believe he got caught up in the excitement and joy of winning, if NC State were in the same situation, and say Costner or MaCauley hits a dunk to seal an emotional win, this wouldn't be an issue. Lets put away the soapboxes, it wasn't that bad.

Don't you folks realize that Coach Lowe has a design for a 7 point - 1 second left play?

Angry

TH is a college student, a kid, an exciteable basketball player.
    Ty Lawson is a college student, a kid, an exciteable basketball player.

TH went up for a dunk over a walk-on after a game had already been decided. Ty Lawson makes a showy dunk after the game has already been decided. I have no problem with either of them. They're kids.

Roy on the other hand is not a kid. He is an experienced and respected coach. What is he teaching these guys? I can remember being at a Duke game with my son. Duke had 99 points, and the ball, with about 15 seconds left. Sam was excited because he thought they would score 100. I told him, "no way will they score 100. They will pull the ball out and run out the clock". Of course, they did just that.

If it doesn't come in the natural course of a game, and the game has already been decided, it is just being showy. Th and TY may not know better. Roy does. I think it is the Bojangles biscuit mentality. Score 100 points get gree biscuits. Free biscuits have taken the place of sportsmanship. I hope that when other coaches decide to sell out they gets a better price than a free sausage biscuit.

Funny you should ask....

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    I didn't see the play, and basing this on the posts.

Was Lawson ever mentioned as going to the NBA next year? If so, maybe he was padding his NBA resume...
    I was actually told last week from a pretty reliable souce that both Brandon Wright and Ty Lawson stopped going to classes weeks ago. I anticipated that Wright was 1 and done, but I am surprised by Lawson.

Anyone else heard this as well ?

ARo24

Man, that State board is close to ESPN board territory, worse actually. Wow just wow at some of those comments. I am so relieved that at least DBR is more civilized even when we disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by aro24 View Post
    I was actually told last week from a pretty reliable souce that both Brandon Wright and Ty Lawson stopped going to classes weeks ago. I anticipated that Wright was 1 and done, but I am surprised by Lawson.

Anyone else heard this as well ?

ARo24
    Supposedly Lawson said from the get go the only reason he was at UNC was due to the 1 year rule. Not surprising he would leave.

There's no written rule that says you need to run the clock out when the game is decided. There are a LOT of players and a lot of teams that would handle thigns the same way TH and TL did. To expect everyone to handle end of decided game situations the way Duke does is a bit unreasonable. Afterall, these are some of the many things that make us Duke. They are also the sorts of things that make us loathe UNC, but is it really anything new?

Don't Really Care....

but it may have bothered me more if it had been against Duke, I don't know. But what I do know is that it may not be a written rule to run the clock out and not rub it in, but I play in a church basketball league and even a bunch of old guys who are not really basketball players know not to try and run the score up. I totally agree with what someone said earlier in this thread. He was just trying to prove that he is a little guy who can dunk and you need to save that for some charity game and not in the ACC tournament. Did I lose any sleep worrying about it - NO. Did I think it was totally classless and typical from everything I hear about Lawson - YES.

Quote Originally Posted by jhmd2000 View Post
    Things I learn from the Doookbasketballreport.com message board.

Meh, I'm a Duke fan and I didn't think the play was that bad. I'll reserve that if a UNC player (or any other player) does some low class taunting after a dunk that would make TO proud.

I wasn't particularly happy that Lawson decided to dunk the ball. But are we really still arguing this?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/playby...62599&period=2
    ESPN.com - NCB - Play-By-Play - Duke at St. John's
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/playby...40251&period=2
    ESPN.com - NCB - Play-By-Play - Duke at Texas
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/playby...60259&period=2
    ESPN.com - NCB - Play-By-Play - Duke at Virginia Tech

I can't imagine too many people enjoyed watching Dahntay do his pushups either.
    Last edited by Twigmas; 03-12-2007 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    Meh, I'm a Duke fan and I didn't think the play was that bad. I'll reserve that if a UNC player (or any other player) does some low class taunting after a dunk that would make TO proud.
    Like, say, screaming "F*** YEAH!!" at the top of his lungs at the crowd and camera right after said dunk?

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by jhmd2000 View Post
    Things I learn from the Doookbasketballreport.com message board.
    Wow-- I can just FEEL the class.

I thought it was pretty unsportsmanlike, but certainly nothing I'd put in the classless hall of fame or anything.