Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Offseason Coaching Carousel

First up is reports that Donovan is leaving Florida to Kentucky

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news...an_leaving_UCF

Oh boy...

Kenny Boynton COULD still be in play... never say never (though stay pessimistic because the basketball gods aren't high on us right now)
    Last edited by BlueintheFace; 03-27-2009 at 03:53 PM.

Kentucky - New Coach

I have a very good word (but, not defiinite) that Billy Donovan is the new Kentucky coach. Possible announcement as early as today.

Take it for what it's worth, but I am not kidding.

Can SEC kids transfer in confeence w/o penalty?

Some conferences have rules that make it so a kid like Boynton can't transfer to another SEC school w/o suffering some major stab wound.

I just wish we'd somehow get Darrius Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by novablue4 View Post
    Some conferences have rules that make it so a kid like Boynton can't transfer to another SEC school w/o suffering some major stab wound.

I just wish we'd somehow get Darrius Smith.
    Boynton isn't a Florida student yet. He's graduating high school this year. So, as long as Florida lets him get out of his letter of intent (I don't think they're obligated to do that, right?), it is my understanding that he can go wherever he wants, just like Miles Plumlee did for us last year after getting the go ahead from Stanford.

Maybe the basketball Gods are still with us.

But what would that do with other offered scholarships.

INTERESTING TWIST: ESPNews reports that Donovan has put out a statement reaffirming his commitment to the university and to the program.

Why

Wouldn't Boynton just got to UK with Donovan. It is not like Kentucky is that much farther away than NC, from Florida. Now I obviously do not know the Scholarship situation at UK right now, does anybody have any perspective on that?

CBS Sports and Gary Parrish have confirmed. Billy Donovan isn't going anywhere. Looks like a certain Orlando Tv station just lost some credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    CBS Sports and Gary Parrish have confirmed. Billy Donovan isn't going anywhere. Looks like a certain Orlando Tv station just lost some credibility.
    I'm glad I almost got my hopes up for them to be crushed for a second day in a row

It's pretty hard to lose credibility when you don't have any to start with .

I live in Orlando and can assure you that no one in Florida outside of Gainesville gives 2 hoots about college hoops and Gator fans only really care about the games where Tim Tebow comes to the game to announce that he is coming back for another year at halftime.

The whole Donovan to UK thing struck me as a wet dream of some Kentucky booster and I am not shocked at all that the Orlando media got it all wrong.

Just so you guys know

Bob Knight is officially taking the Job at Kentucky according to my sources. They are very good sources, look where I live... Las Vegas and you know who is in Vegas chilling at the Wynn right now...

Airforce "Bob Knight is my source, I swear he is" Dukie

I am not sure if this is a kentucky only thread but word from espn is Anthony Grant of VCU has accepted the job at Alabama. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4022289

Grant did accept the 'Bama job, VCU will sorely miss him.

VCU

All of a sudden VCU has become a hotbed of young coaches. How did that happen?
    Last edited by miramar; 03-28-2009 at 10:53 AM. Reason: sp.

I have heard that Rick Pitino may be coming to Arizona

How weird is it that the Arizona and Kentucky jobs are open and that the Arizona job is actually more desirable to prospective coaches.

Two coaches to watch for the Arizona Job; Pitino and Izzo. Both are about to finish a peak in the 2-4 year ebb and flow that occurs with top tier schools and neither has a big-time recruiting class coming in that would really make them want to stay too badly.

How weird is it that the Arizona and Kentucky jobs are open and that the Arizona job is actually more desirable to prospective coaches.

Two coaches to watch for the Arizona Job; Pitino and Izzo. Both are about to finish a peak in the 2-4 year ebb and flow that occurs with top tier schools and neither has a big-time recruiting class coming in that would really make them want to stay too badly.
    While I am not one of the Spartans who think Izzo will never leave, I don't see him leaving this year. However, I agree that Arizona is a more likely move than UK. Izzo is a bad fit at UK. He thinks that MSU fans have high expectations. He would have major problems with the UK fanbase. Throw in the fact that one of his best friends happens to be Tubby, and he plays a similar styles, it just is not a good fit. They could pay him a ton, though.

Arizona makes a bit more sense, but throw in the factors that they are likely headed for probation and that they can't match his compensation package (outside of his salary and Nike stuff, he gets $4 million if he's in East Lansing in April 2010), and it's still not a likely move. He also has a pretty good team coming back next year and his family is extremely comfy in EL.

Izzo will eventually go, but it will be to the NBA in my opinion.

dukemsu

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    It's pretty hard to lose credibility when you don't have any to start with .

I live in Orlando and can assure you that no one in Florida outside of Gainesville gives 2 hoots about college hoops and Gator fans only really care about the games where Tim Tebow comes to the game to announce that he is coming back for another year at halftime.

The whole Donovan to UK thing struck me as a wet dream of some Kentucky booster and I am not shocked at all that the Orlando media got it all wrong.
    Seriously, living in Tampa, I've never gotten the impression that anyone in Gainesville gave 2 hoots about college hoops either....
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Looks like UK has a potential prospect.

Wouldn't that be so nice.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    Looks like UK has a potential prospect.

Wouldn't that be so nice.
    I guess UK would have to switch its official package delivery service from Emery Air Freight to FedEx. A big step.