Page 101 of 156 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 3105
    Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    We now have time to make this the longest recruiting thread ever on DBR.

I wouldn't get too worked up over this...
    It's nothing to get worked up over either way I agree. But taking more time is never a good thing for the presumed leader. If you're the leader, you want the decision made sooner. A longer process means more time for other teams to dig their teeth in.

That doesn't mean that he won't still ultimately commit to Duke. It's just that if we all think he's a heavy Duke lean (and that seems to be the consensus) then a quicker decision gives a better probability for Duke.

At the same time, good for him for taking the time that he feels he needs to make an informed decision.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    At the same time, good for him for taking the time that he feels he needs to make an informed decision.
    I agree. Plus, who wouldn't want to take some free trips around the country... At least it won't look like Duke talked him into decommitting from Florida, right?

I agree. Plus, who wouldn't want to take some free trips around the country... At least it won't look like Duke talked him into decommitting from Florida, right?
    And if there really is a violent gerbil, then all this is moot anyway, right?

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    does this mean the 'pessimists' are vindicated?
    uh . . . no

And if there really is a violent gerbil, then all this is moot anyway, right?
    Someone told me once that a verbal commitment is not worth the paper it's written on. I agree with this. Things can change in recruiting. And quickly. Austin has given dates and said he would be at places that he hasn't stuck to in the past. That has not changed. My belief that it is a when, not if thing with Austin has not changed either.

We'll know a lot more by the end of the beginning of Austin's Senior Year imo.

"Someone told me once that a verbal commitment is not worth the paper it's written on"

How many basketball recruits have made public, verbal committments to play basketball at Duke and ended up at another college?

I can think of Bill Bradley and Kris Humphries. Am I missing anyone? The other umpteen gazillion have honored their verbals.

BTW, if it isn't public, then it itsn't a verbal committment. IMO.

When is that? Before the start of his basketball season?

Someone told me once that a verbal commitment is not worth the paper it's written on. I agree with this. Things can change in recruiting. And quickly. Austin has given dates and said he would be at places that he hasn't stuck to in the past. That has not changed. My belief that it is a when, not if thing with Austin has not changed either.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic. Sorry if the attempt at humor failed (either due to my bad humor or the difficulty of interpreting context over the internet).

He won't know much more about the players that he will be playing with in December than he will in August.
    Which makes me wonder if he'll really announce in December.

If you're gonna wait til December, might as well wait til April or whenever and see who sticks around...
    Last edited by SilkyJ; 07-09-2010 at 03:01 PM. Reason: oops

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Which makes me wonder if he'll really announce in August.

If you're gonna wait til December, might as well wait til April or whenever and see who sticks around...
    He's not deciding in August. We can pretty much forget about that.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    "Someone told me once that a verbal commitment is not worth the paper it's written on"

How many basketball recruits have made public, verbal committments to play basketball at Duke and ended up at another college?

I can think of Bill Bradley and Kris Humphries. Am I missing anyone? The other umpteen gazillion have honored their verbals.

BTW, if it isn't public, then it itsn't a verbal committment. IMO.
    We're on the same page Jim. I took the violent gerbil thing into a verbal commitment thing. My language wasn't exactly clear.

Please forgive me though, I believe I'm still on island time and saturated with Belikin Beer.

ETA: I'm not big on comparing recruits to other recruits. Austin has certainly gone about things differently than almost any other Duke recruit. Has Coach K ever landed a player who decommitted from another school? I honestly don't remember...

Quote Originally Posted by MisterRoddy View Post
    Things can change. I certainly wouldn't rule it out...

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    any day now we'll know.
    So it doesn't look like it'll be any day now...
    DT- care to say anything here??

Very true, but seeing how things have gone, I highly doubt it.

typo. meant december.

Very true, but seeing how things have gone, I highly doubt it.
    Like Austin changing his timeline?

At this point I don't think we can rule anything out.

He's clearly wrestling with the decision and thinking about it a lot (or something very strange is going on behind the scenes, which I doubt), which is fine, but to expect anything is at this point would seem silly since it seems Austin himself doesn't really know what to do.

Like Austin changing his timeline?
    Touche, but more along the lines of putting things off (visits to UNC, deadline for decision) and the fact that Doc Rivers will now have a bigger influence on and when he makes his decision, and we all know Doc wants Austin to decide on the Spring.

Also, to your earlier post, we certainly cannot rule anything out for the simple fact that nothing AR says is ever set in stone.

We're on the same page Jim. I took the violent gerbil thing into a verbal commitment thing. My language wasn't exactly clear.

Please forgive me though, I believe I'm still on island time and saturated with Belikin Beer.

ETA: I'm not big on comparing recruits to other recruits. Austin has certainly gone about things differently than almost any other Duke recruit. Has Coach K ever landed a player who decommitted from another school? I honestly don't remember...
    Miles asked out of his letter of intent to Stanford when their coach, Trent Johnson, left.

I'm looking at this (through the eyes of an optimist maybe) as him just deciding to play his cards a little bit closer to the vest. Possibly because of advise from his dad... To me in his dairy its saying (without really saying) I still really like Duke but they arent a shoe-in to get me. Kinda like John Wall (hate to compare the two). But did anyone really believe he was going anywhere but wherever Cal was coaching? He said plenty of things like "I dont have a leader." or "Everyone has a shot." But he knew where he was going... I think this is Austin just pulling back the reigns a little with all the love he has been showing Duke lately because its starting to get out into places like SI and not just little blog sites.