Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

You can land ONE recruit- Which one do you take?

Right now Duke has an awful lot of scholarship offers out--

For '09--
    Kenny Boynton

For '10--
    Brandon Knight
    Harrison Barnes
    Josh Smith
    Josh Hairston
    Tyler Thornton

If you had to pick just ONE player that you think is the most important to land, which would it be and what is your reasoning? What I mean by that is... You get to choose ONE player that has been offered and once you choose him, he is guaranteed to come to Duke. Which do you choose?

Do you go with Boynton to have a solid '09 class?
    Do you go with the top 5 point guard or the top 10 big man?

Take into account who will still be around when that player comes in...

My choice is actually Harrison Barnes. I figure, we have two good point guards offered, so it is not that important to necessarily get one over the other. I think Josh Smith would only be around for a year or two and at that point we will have both Plumlee brothers along with Olek down low anyways. We should be pretty set on guards for a few years to come with Nolan rising and Elliot joining him (plus Andre already committed). The one thing that will be hard to replace is the small forward position... the best Duke teams have always seemed to have that Grant Hill type athlete who can't be mistaken for a handling guard or a big man. Barnes seems to match this mold at 6'6" 190. He is the #1 SF in his class (Scout.com) and my choice for the one recruit offered I would take if I was guaranteed just one.

Like a mother of six being asked to choose her favorite child---hard to do!

I'd take Josh Hairston as #1 choice; I see him as a very mobile inside player whom we will need in match-ups against UNC.

I would also take Joshua Hairston, even over KB or Big Josh. I think he is sort of a combo of a Shane Battier w/o the great defense and someone like Aala a. when he played his absolute best, with a touch of Dunleavy thrown in. I may be wrong, good golly I have misjudged players at times (such as Ferry and McCaffrey, who I did not think were that good), but I will stick with Joshua Hairston as my choice. Please come to Durham.

Ohh this is a hard one.

I'm gonna have to say KB. He is a heck of a player!

Kenny B. for me!

I have to go with Kenny Boynton in choosing one "for certain" player I'd want. Not b/c he is more skilled, necessarily, though he IS very talented and can play the 1 or the 2. But getting another premier player like that in 09 will, in and of itself, help us to close those other guys you list for '10. Starting with his HS teammate, PG Knight. Of course the bigs will always want to play where they know they've got a top flight distributor and outside shooter - inevitably opening things up for them underneath, to say nothing of the on-the-ball pressure KB and Knight would bring, helping their inside workload on D.

Go with Kenny B., and see what other dominoes fall in 2010...

-BDBD
    Last edited by -bdbd; 07-29-2008 at 04:19 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Starting with his HS teammate, PG Knight.
    Just a quick correction: Boynton and Knight are AAU teammates but not HS teammates. Boynton attends American Heritage while Knight attends Pinecrest.

However, and more important, I agree with your main point in that signing Boynton will lead to signing players from the 2010 class. Boynton is the one!
    Bob Green

Josh Smith would solve our front-court issues once-and-for-all, but I have to go with Kenny B.

He has superstar written all over him and will be so much fun to watch light it up offensively. Plus, I don't think he starts as a freshmen if Henderson comes back for his senior season. Which means we could see at least 2 years of Kenny B at Duke. Also, as others have mentioned, landing Kenny would help us tremendously with Brandon Knight and the other recruits.

Boynton

Quote Originally Posted by houstondukie View Post
    Plus, I don't think he starts as a freshmen if Henderson comes back for his senior season. Which means we could see at least 2 years of Kenny B at Duke.
    In one of the linked stories, didn't KB say that he wanted to start as a freshman? Seems like that might just influence his choice.

Kenny Boynton is going to start wherever he goes. Plus, "hiding" him by not starting him would not fool NBA scouts if he had lottery talent after his first year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius07 View Post
    Kenny Boynton is going to start wherever he goes. Plus, "hiding" him by not starting him would not fool NBA scouts if he had lottery talent after his first year.
    The only way Kenny B starts his freshmen year is if Henderson goes pro...or he grows 6 inches and develops some post moves.

Who does he start over?
    PG Nolan Smith - Jr.
    SG Jon Scheyer - Sr.
    SF G. Henderson - Sr.
    PF K. Singler - Jr.
    C B. Zoubek - Sr.

KB said he wants to play, nothing about starting, as a freshman.

Nothing wrong with coming off the bench. Look what Scheyer did this year. I think he got more praise for his play off the bench then he would have had he started. I think if college gave out a 6th man award Scheyer would have got it. Coming off the bench might mean more PT.

Henderson is leaving...so KB would take his spot.

Even if Henderson didn't leave, KB would start. The only way he doesn't start is if he seriously underperforms expectations. He'd probably start over Smith at the point but also play minutes at SG.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronCrazy'11 View Post
    Even if Henderson didn't leave, KB would start. The only way he doesn't start is if he seriously underperforms expectations. He'd probably start over Smith at the point but also play minutes at SG.
    I'll just go ahead and be the first one to tell you that such a statement is crazy. Kenny Boynton starting over a fairly well seasoned junior Nolan Smith... absolutely ridiculous.

But don't listen to me, listen to the subsequent posts here that will surely confirm my view point!!

The only way Kenny B starts his freshmen year is if Henderson goes pro...or he grows 6 inches and develops some post moves.

Who does he start over?
    PG Nolan Smith - Jr.
    SG Jon Scheyer - Sr.
    SF G. Henderson - Sr.
    PF K. Singler - Jr.
    C B. Zoubek - Sr.
    considering all of the uncertainties of the future.... if those five mentioned above were Duke's starters, at this time, I would rather see Zoubek pulled from the starting line up and be replaced by KB for a four guard line up. Undersized, but scary fast and talented!!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    I'll just go ahead and be the first one to tell you that such a statement is crazy. Kenny Boynton starting over a fairly well seasoned junior Nolan Smith... absolutely ridiculous.

But don't listen to me, listen to the subsequent posts here that will surely confirm my view point!!
    I agree... I think Nolan will be a key player for Duke for the next three years, and will be the starting PG after Paulus graduates.

I need one question answered first.

Which one out of that list most wants to come to Duke and is looking forward to experiencing 3-4 years of that total experience. I want that one.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Based on what I know about the players offered, I would take KB because he is the biggest impact player in the group IMO. A flat out scoring machine who will be very hard to defend.

As for Henderson, I for one am not convinced he is a lock to skip his senior season. He seems to enjoy college and still has growing to do. I think it's certainly possible he goes, but I don't see it as a done deal...

My philosophy has always been "take the money and run." In other words, since I was retired, I took SS at 62 instead of waiting until 65 1/2. Therefore I would take the best player available in 09 (which is Kenny Boynton), and worry about 2010 later. And, given the real world, taking KB in 09 may well lead to getting better recruits in 2010.

Who does he start over?
    PG Nolan Smith - Jr.
    SG Jon Scheyer - Sr.
    SF G. Henderson - Sr.
    PF K. Singler - Jr.
    C B. Zoubek - Sr.
    I expect Henderson to go pro. I don't think it's anywhere close to a lock, but I don't think it's anywhere close to a lock that Boynton chooses Duke either. IMO Singler is a lesser but also possible threat to go pro after this year, especially if we showcase him more as I expect us to.

If neither goes pro, I still think there's a decent chance Boynton would start, and this is coming from a huge Nolan Smith fan. It really depends how Nolan can develop his PG skills between March 07 and November 09 (ie will he always be a 2-guard?). As someone else mentioned, it's also possible we could see a 4-guard line-up sometimes. With that amount of backcourt talent it would be foolish not to play it as much as possible.