Page 34 of 48 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    Shabazz just tweeted out that it's decision making time, with a picture of the Duke, UK, and UCLA National Letter of Intents on a table... The Duke one was on top. I know, I'm reaching.
    Now we need to follow him on Instagram too?

http://instagr.am/p/JObpdsyBGC/
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    The funny thing about all of this is that I can't find ONE picture of Shabazz in Adidas...

Starter, I don't disagree with your logic there. I don't think I should get any further into it, given that I don't have absolute knowledge of the situation and don't want to suggest anything negative about a kid who, by all account, is a great kid, and I'd love to have at Duke. I'm pretty confident it's not a non-factor, though.

3. Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Didn't see this posted anywhere. For what it's worth, Matt Jones and Sheed think Shabazz is coming to Duke...

http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/...d-noel-will-go
    Only the Duke guys think Bazz is coming to Duke. Most have him pegged as Kentucky with the rest as UCLA.

Doesn't necessarily mean anything, but not a good indication.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    Only the Duke guys think Bazz is coming to Duke. Most have him pegged as Kentucky with the rest as UCLA.

Doesn't necessarily mean anything, but not a good indication.

The good thing is that Shabazz and his camp has done a pretty good job of keeping his intentions close. Everyone's belief on where he is going is all just based on speculation and hearsay. I don't even know if he has a leader right now. If I would have to guess, I would probably say UCLA because it is close to home and he can basically be a saving grace to not only the program, but the Pac-10 as a whole. They are in need of star power. I do like the Coach K got in the last word. Tha always helps

Just thinking here

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post

Starter, I don't disagree with your logic there. I don't think I should get any further into it, given that I don't have absolute knowledge of the situation and don't want to suggest anything negative about a kid who, by all account, is a great kid, and I'd love to have at Duke. I'm pretty confident it's not a non-factor, though.
    With all the connections and money chaning hands with adidas, do any of yall think if he chooses ucla that an ncaa investigation should be immediately underway?

This kind of thing could get out of hand if the shoe companies start shelling out cash. Its probly already being done but this is the first time ive ever heard of a kid picking a school because his family is on the shoe companies payroll.

TV Secrecy?

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    The good thing is that Shabazz and his camp has done a pretty good job of keeping his intentions close. Everyone's belief on where he is going is all just based on speculation and hearsay. I don't even know if he has a leader right now. If I would have to guess, I would probably say UCLA because it is close to home and he can basically be a saving grace to not only the program, but the Pac-10 as a whole. They are in need of star power. I do like the Coach K got in the last word. Tha always helps
    I mean, the context now is the "Survivor" TV series. Each contestant in the prerecorded series knows who won but is pledged to keep it secret until the episode airs. No way Shabazz spoils his surprise moment on ESPNU.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballboy88 View Post
    With all the connections and money chaning hands with adidas, do any of yall think if he chooses ucla that an ncaa investigation should be immediately underway?

This kind of thing could get out of hand if the shoe companies start shelling out cash. Its probly already being done but this is the first time ive ever heard of a kid picking a school because his family is on the shoe companies payroll.
    I believe an investigation was already started back in early February, though I haven't heard anything come of it yet. I just remember the NCAA notifying all the schools recruiting Bazz about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    I believe an investigation was already started back in early February, though I haven't heard anything come of it yet. I just remember the NCAA notifying all the schools recruiting Bazz about it.
    IIRC, that didn't have anything to do with Adidas--it had to do with some family friends who were financial advisors, one of whom funded an early college visit for Shabazz and one of whom gave some support to his AAU team. The family and friends say the events were within the rules and were appropriately disclosed to the NCAA.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    IIRC, that didn't have anything to do with Adidas--it had to do with some family friends who were financial advisors, one of whom funded an early college visit for Shabazz and one of whom gave some support to his AAU team. The family and friends say the events were within the rules and were appropriately disclosed to the NCAA.
    Ah, my mistake. The article I read on it discussed both situations that's why I wasn't sure.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Not only was the money disclosed to the NCAA, it was disclosed before the college trips even occurred. Despite the Adidas connections, Shabazz and his family have never given anyone any indication to believe that the employer of some of his family members and it's connections to a school he is interested in is anything more than a coincidence.

Man I know our team is full right now but it would be great to add Shabazz as the final piece. Get ready for another Kentucky super team people.

There's a new ESPN insider article where 7 'experts' predict where everyone is going. For Shabazz 4 experts picked UCLA, the other 3 picked UK.

However 5 experts picked Amile to come to Duke, 2 picked State.

I think Noel, Muhammad and Oriahki all 3 sign with Kentucky. Calipari has his revolving door business of running a college basketball program running at the highest level. And I think all 3 of these guys know that and know they can do what Kentucky just did this past season. You (myself included) may not like it but that is the state of college basketball because of the rules. The elite players (most) choose where is best for 1 year and that is it. I hope I am wrong about Shabazz, Oriahki would be a nice get but with MP2 coming back, I don't see it happening

I don't know if Shabazz sees it this way but he is the perfect fit for Duke next season.
    Imagine:

Mason Plumlee (Marshall back up)
    Ryan Kelly (Hairston and Alex back up)
    Shabazz Muhammad (Silent G or Alex backup)
    Seth Curry (Switches out with Andre and Dawkins)
    Quinn Cook (Switches out with Tyler and Seth)

On paper this team could dominate.

Quote Originally Posted by wgl1228 View Post
    Man I know our team is full right now but it would be great to add Shabazz as the final piece. Get ready for another Kentucky super team people.
    Unless someone blows a toe or a wrist. I am still not convinced he can do this every year- we shall see.

I don't know if Shabazz sees it this way but he is the perfect fit for Duke next season.
    Imagine:

Bazz is an upgrade and can dominate his position but Cook and Curry dont scare anyone.

Imagine:
    .. especially if Andre and Dawkins play at the same time

I think you meant Rasheed, correct?

Personally, I don't know that the lineup you mention is all that impressive.
    Mason/Marshall - Pretty good starter, but unproven rookie at backup. Big drop off if Mason gets into foul trouble
    Kelly/Hairston/Gbinje - Nice matchup 4, but you lose a lot of rebounding. Hairston/Gbinje very much unproven.
    Muhammad/Gbinje/Alex - A top talent for sure, but downside is you have 3 freshman at that position.
    Curry/Suliamon/Dawkins - Deepest spot on the floor, although Curry and Dawkins have defensive liabilities
    Cook/Thornton/Curry - Decent rotation if Cook is healthy. If not, we're pretty thin.

So essentially, you have this year's team, but you trade Rivers/Miles for Suliamon/Muhammad. That's an upgrade, and everyone else has another year of experience. However, even with Shabazz I don't think this team is as loaded as UNC or Kentucky was this year. One thing that scares me is that with or without Shabazz, we lose 4 rotation guys at the end of the season. That's a lot of holes to fill, and losing another one-and-done could mean replacing our entire starting 5.

I'd really like to get another stud in this year's class, be it Shabazz, Parker, or Amile. If Shabazz is a true one-and-done, not sure if I'd rather have Amile or Parker for the longer term.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chill View Post
    Bazz is an upgrade and can dominate his position but Cook and Curry dont scare anyone.
    I don't know if Scheyer scared anyone either, but he was pretty darn effective. I don't expect Cook and Curry to play as well as Jon did his final year, but I do expect Cook and Curry to be very effective for Duke, as well as the other perimeter players, scary or not.

Imagine:

On paper, that team can't guard a folding chair (yet).

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    .. especially if Andre and Dawkins play at the same time

I think you meant Rasheed, correct?

Personally, I don't know that the lineup you mention is all that impressive.
    Mason/Marshall - Pretty good starter, but unproven rookie at backup. Big drop off if Mason gets into foul trouble
    Kelly/Hairston/Gbinje - Nice matchup 4, but you lose a lot of rebounding. Hairston/Gbinje very much unproven.
    Muhammad/Gbinje/Alex - A top talent for sure, but downside is you have 3 freshman at that position.
    Curry/Suliamon/Dawkins - Deepest spot on the floor, although Curry and Dawkins have defensive liabilities
    Cook/Thornton/Curry - Decent rotation if Cook is healthy. If not, we're pretty thin.

So essentially, you have this year's team, but you trade Rivers/Miles for Suliamon/Muhammad. That's an upgrade, and everyone else has another year of experience. However, even with Shabazz I don't think this team is as loaded as UNC or Kentucky was this year. One thing that scares me is that with or without Shabazz, we lose 4 rotation guys at the end of the season. That's a lot of holes to fill, and losing another one-and-done could mean replacing our entire starting 5.

I'd really like to get another stud in this year's class, be it Shabazz, Parker, or Amile. If Shabazz is a true one-and-done, not sure if I'd rather have Amile or Parker for the longer term.
    I agree mostly with what you have here but I'm not sure how you say we would have three freshman at the SF position. We would have a sophmore, a redshirt freshman, and arguably the most talented freshman in the country. Not a whole lot of downside there. I would also argue Murphy is more of a backup at the 4 than Gbinije is.