Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Duke checking out an interesting local prospect

http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/17833289/article-PREP-NOTEBOOK--Is-Outlaw-the-most-overlooked-player-in-the-state-

http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/18021621/article-PREP-NOTEBOOK--Duke-looking-at-Outlaw--Ingram-commits

Keep an eye on this one. Tyrone Outlaw, Jr. (Class o 2013) is a 6-6 wing forward from Person High School in Roxboro, NC (just north of Durham). As a junior, he averaged 22 ppg, 14 rpg, 5 bpg, and 4 apg at the 4-A level which is the highest in NC...and on top of that, he shoots the three well. This kid was arguably the best high school player in the Triangle during this past season. He has flown under the recruiting radar for most of his high school career. To illustrate that point: ESPN had him ranked as the #9 junior in NC prior to his breakout season, yet up until recently Murray State seemed to be the only school in close contact. If you're in the Durham area, you should check this kid out next season. He's the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by langdonfan View Post
    http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/17833289/article-PREP-NOTEBOOK--Is-Outlaw-the-most-overlooked-player-in-the-state-

http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_s...Ingram-commits

Keep an eye on this one. Tyrone Outlaw, Jr. (Class o 2013) is a 6-6 wing forward from Person High School in Roxboro, NC (just north of Durham). As a junior, he averaged 22 ppg, 14 rpg, 5 bpg, and 4 apg at the 4-A level which is the highest in NC...and on top of that, he shoots the three well. This kid was arguably the best high school player in the Triangle during this past season. He has flown under the recruiting radar for most of his high school career. To illustrate that point: ESPN had him ranked as the #9 junior in NC prior to his breakout season, yet up until recently Murray State seemed to be the only school in close contact. If you're in the Durham area, you should check this kid out next season. He's the real deal.
    Like the idea of getting more athletes at the SF position. Certainly wouldn't mind adding a guy like that. With the Zeigler visit and this "feeler call" it definitely seems like the staff is trying to address the lack of size and physicality on the perimeter. I don't know how good Outlaw is, but a player with his size and those type of high school numbers would seem like a reasonable target.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Like the idea of getting more athletes at the SF position. Certainly wouldn't mind adding a guy like that. With the Zeigler visit and this "feeler call" it definitely seems like the staff is trying to address the lack of size and physicality on the perimeter. I don't know how good Outlaw is, but a player with his size and those type of high school numbers would seem like a reasonable target.
    I think I remember Tyrone Outlaw Senior. He used to get quite a lot of local basketball press in the 90's and it was a big deal when a kid from my high school dunked on him during a game. I was trying to figure out if it was the same family when I stumbled on this article. http://www.personcountylife.com/news...tml?mode=image

Seems like the dad fell into the trappings of being a small town sports star with nothing to show for it.

This doesn't effect my opinion on whether or not we should get the kid. I don't know anything about the son or his relationship with his father.

Quote Originally Posted by magjayran View Post
    I think I remember Tyrone Outlaw Senior. He used to get quite a lot of local basketball press in the 90's and it was a big deal when a kid from my high school dunked on him during a game. I was trying to figure out if it was the same family when I stumbled on this article. http://www.personcountylife.com/news...tml?mode=image

Seems like the dad fell into the trappings of being a small town sports star with nothing to show for it.

This doesn't effect my opinion on whether or not we should get the kid. I don't know anything about the son or his relationship with his father.
    Yeah, dad was a big time recruit who chose NC State. At the time, some recruiting gurus ranked him as the best in the state, over Antawn Jamison and Courtney Alexander. Definitely a high school legend in these parts. He failed to gualify at State, ending up going JUCO and got into drugs. He's in prison now. But as you said, that's certainly no reflection on his son, but part of what made this story stand out to me.

That is a great name! He looks pretty darned fantabulous.

I will be sure to check him out this coming season. I didn't realize we had that kind of talent here or I would have watched him some this past season. I know he had a good year and the team did well in the post season just from what I have seen in the newspaper.

Here is scouting video of Outlaw.

http://vimeo.com/36410125

Quote Originally Posted by langdonfan View Post
    Here is scouting video of Outlaw.

http://vimeo.com/36410125
    Maybe its just me but he didn't look that quick or explosive in that video.

Quote Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post
    Maybe its just me but he didn't look that quick or explosive in that video.
    I guess there's a difference between "highlight video" and "scouting video." I don't think I've ever seen a missed free throw in a highlight video

Outlaw

Ok, not a Duke fan myself, but I thought I'd comment on a few things discussed here.

Tyrone Outlaw is indeed the son of the previous player of the same name from Person High. The father was probably a more polished player and had more of an inside presence though he was very skilled with his shot and ball-handling as well. He was probably the best player ever signed by Les Robinson at State (as mentioned considered a better prospect than Antawn Jamison in the same class), but his SAT scores weren't good enough to get him into State. He went to a couple of JUCOs, getting in trouble at one of them, and ended up at one of HBC schools in Raleigh (I think St. Aug's but may have been Shaw). Sadly, he basically became a rec basketball star and ended up in trouble for dealing drugs. A sad story.

Tyrone Outlaw the son appears to be headed to a much different ending. I have a friend who teaches at Person and know guys that work on the Person radio broadcasts. Everyone I talk to tells me that Outlaw is very intelligent and makes good grades. He's more likely going to be a wing forward unless he grows some more as I've heard his 6'6" listed height is a bit fudged and he's actually either 6'4" or 6'5" depending on who you talk to. Outlaw recently went with the Garner Road team out to Las Vegas and averaged around 16 and 6, so don't be surprised to see his name start to rise on the Class of 2013 charts. If Duke gets him (and I'd rather he go to my team of course), they'd be getting a quality young man who is very athletic and will hopefully grow into the type of player his dad could have been.

Oh, and Nocilla if you want to go watch some games next year, hit me up on Facebook.

-Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by KDub View Post
    Ok, not a Duke fan myself, but I thought I'd comment on a few things discussed here.

Tyrone Outlaw is indeed the son of the previous player of the same name from Person High. The father was probably a more polished player and had more of an inside presence though he was very skilled with his shot and ball-handling as well. He was probably the best player ever signed by Les Robinson at State (as mentioned considered a better prospect than Antawn Jamison in the same class), but his SAT scores weren't good enough to get him into State. He went to a couple of JUCOs, getting in trouble at one of them, and ended up at one of HBC schools in Raleigh (I think St. Aug's but may have been Shaw). Sadly, he basically became a rec basketball star and ended up in trouble for dealing drugs. A sad story.

Tyrone Outlaw the son appears to be headed to a much different ending. I have a friend who teaches at Person and know guys that work on the Person radio broadcasts. Everyone I talk to tells me that Outlaw is very intelligent and makes good grades. He's more likely going to be a wing forward unless he grows some more as I've heard his 6'6" listed height is a bit fudged and he's actually either 6'4" or 6'5" depending on who you talk to. Outlaw recently went with the Garner Road team out to Las Vegas and averaged around 16 and 6, so don't be surprised to see his name start to rise on the Class of 2013 charts. If Duke gets him (and I'd rather he go to my team of course), they'd be getting a quality young man who is very athletic and will hopefully grow into the type of player his dad could have been.

Oh, and Nocilla if you want to go watch some games next year, hit me up on Facebook.

-Kenny

Great player and great kid. My son, who played for Northern Durham High School played against him five times in the last two years. He is too strong for most high school guards/small forwards to defned and too quick for most high school bigs to defend. The Roxboro community has rallied around him and he seems to be an incredibly level-headed kid who avoids the fates that befell his father. As with any high school plahyer the fact that he dominated against the competition doesn'e mean he will do so onthe nexxt level - he has spent two years playing against only a very few kids who are headed for D-1 schools; he may not look so dominating when he is up against equal competition. But he is only a junior - he has another year to grow an inch or two, gain a few pounds, and mature a bit.

As for his current size - my son is a solid 6' 4" and he gives up a good inch or two to Outlaw so I'd say he is easily 6' 5" if not taller.

-Kenny
    Will do KDub.

Interesting prospect, but God this makes me feel old. I was playing JV bball @ Riverside HS when his dad was a junior/senior at Person High. His dad was one of the best HS ballers I've ever seen, pure athlete, catching alley oops way above the rim. When Ty Outlaw played at opposing gyms, they were always packed, especially when he went head to head with Courtney Alexander @ Jordan HS. When I saw this thread it hit me: What happened to Tyrone Outlaw?? Now I see that very unfortunately, the talent was wasted. And I say very unfortunate because this guy had NBA talent, no doubt. If junior is half as good as dad, I'd love to see him in Duke blue so that maybe the Great K can lead him in a more positive direction.

... Tyrone Outlaw ... was probably the best player ever signed by Les Robinson at State ... but his SAT scores weren't good enough to get him into State. ...
    State is the school that admitted the "amphibious" Charles Shackleford, right?

The father was probably a more polished player and had more of an inside presence though he was very skilled with his shot and ball-handling as well. He was probably the best player ever signed by Les Robinson at State (as mentioned considered a better prospect than Antawn Jamison in the same class), but his SAT scores weren't good enough to get him into State.

Man, I'm getting old. I went to Jordan High in Durham and remember Tyrone Outlaw Sr. Hell of a basketball player. Not as great in the classroom. I remember taking the SATs at Jordan and him walking in to the room. Instead of bringing a photo id he brought a photo of him on the front of the Herald Sun sports page.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    When Ty Outlaw played at opposing gyms, they were always packed, especially when he went head to head with Courtney Alexander @ Jordan HS.
    Alexander was another great talent to watch. Played for VA before transferring to Fresno State. Then on to the NBA for several years where he did quite well. Didn't have the best head on his shoulders back then, though.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    State is the school that admitted the "amphibious" Charles Shackleford, right?
    Yes! The joke never dies!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Amphibious

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Yes! Yes! The joke never dies!
    It isn't a joke. That is what he said. " I can shoot with either hand . I am amphibious"

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Yes! The joke never dies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    It isn't a joke. That is what he said. " I can shoot with either hand . I am amphibious"
    Steve Buckhantz, doing the Wizards telecast versus the Heat, made reference to a player "who shoots with either hand -- he's amphibious -- like Charles Shackleford." Getting some legs. Maybe it'll go international soon.

sage