Things are good in Blue Devil Nation

I realize that this board is primarily devoted to men's basketball. And that we are all "bummed" that the season ended other than what we wished.

In an effort to help get over our malaise, take a look at the overall sport's program this past weekend. Our lady's basketball team won, both men and women's tennis teams won as did both lacrosse teams. Both golf teams held their own in miserable weather. Several track and field athletes set new Duke and personal records. Beca Ward won another NCAA championship. Over the last week, swimmers and divers either placed in the top ten or won their individual championships. Baseball lost a close one, but is having a good season. And it sounded as if the Spring Practice football game went well.

Bottom line, I feel good about our various programs and am very proud of all our athletes and coaches.

GO DUKE!!!!!!!

Looking forward to shocking UConn in a few days.

The basketball season isn't over for me. UConn had a tough game vs. Georgetown and showed that they definitely aren't invincible.
    I firmly believe we are a better team than G-town.

Come on Blue Devils!!
    Last edited by duke4ever19; 03-27-2011 at 10:30 PM.

Good luck to the woman's team!

Quote Originally Posted by fitimi1 View Post
    I realize that this board is primarily devoted to men's basketball. And that we are all "bummed" that the season ended other than what we wished.

In an effort to help get over our malaise, take a look at the overall sport's program this past weekend. Our lady's basketball team won, both men and women's tennis teams won as did both lacrosse teams. Both golf teams held their own in miserable weather. Several track and field athletes set new Duke and personal records. Beca Ward won another NCAA championship. Over the last week, swimmers and divers either placed in the top ten or won their individual championships. Baseball lost a close one, but is having a good season. And it sounded as if the Spring Practice football game went well.

Bottom line, I feel good about our various programs and am very proud of all our athletes and coaches.

GO DUKE!!!!!!!
    Great post. I lament the myopia in our fanbase, a singular focus on one sex of one sport. Things like this are a welcome corrective.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

It's extra hard for me . . .

It sucks to live in Lexington, KY (not my choice) when you are a Duke fan . . its even worse right now

I'm definitely gonna follow the lady devils though . . GO DUKE

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Great post. I lament the myopia in our fanbase, a singular focus on one sex of one sport. Things like this are a welcome corrective.
    Your point is well taken but it should be pointed out that the Duke women's team enjoys more support than most of the women's teams in the ACC. UNC particuarly should be embarrassed for its paltry average of about 1500 fans per home game. Duke's average home attendance was above 5K this season if I've heard correctly. Unfortunately the attendance at each of the regional finals was shockingly sparse if TV tells the full story. Women's basketball as well doesn't generate the all-consuming passion that supports much of a BBS sub-culture. In any event, Duke has a chance to truly shock the world Tuesday. It would be nice to see more enthusiasm from the fanbase. If Duke is successful it would be a bench-burning worthy accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by licc85 View Post
    It sucks to live in Lexington, KY (not my choice) when you are a Duke fan . . its even worse right now

Do you live in Lexington or Nashville (as your location in the upper right indicates)? If you're in Lexington you're not the only Duke fan/DBR reader in the "land of the missing D and E" and I can get you in touch with them.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by licc85 View Post
    Wow! I thought I had it bad in DC surrounded by Terps and Hokies. THAT must be a real challenge! So, is wearing Duke stuff in public considered a misdemeanor or a felony? Or just plain taking your life into your hands???

As for the women, they are clearly doing us proud. They played a great game today - watched it on ESPN. It isn't like U-Con is invincible, as they demonstrated by having to come back vs the lower-seeded Georgetown team today. This has the feel of the Miracle of Ice Gold Medal US hockey team 30 years ago... losing badly (by 7 I think) to the Russians in a "friendly" a few days before the Olympics began, then coming back to make the "Miracle on Ice" and win the Gold.

Take it to 'em ladies!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Do you live in Lexington or Nashville (as your location in the upper right indicates)? If you're in Lexington you're not the only Duke fan/DBR reader in the "land of the missing D and E" and I can get you in touch with them.
    oops, thanks . . i went to college at Vandy and registered on this board at that time

so . . . im really not the only sane person in this state?

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Wow! I thought I had it bad in DC surrounded by Terps and Hokies. THAT must be a real challenge! So, is wearing Duke stuff in public considered a misdemeanor or a felony? Or just plain taking your life into your hands???

As for the women, they are clearly doing us proud. They played a great game today - watched it on ESPN. It isn't like U-Con is invincible, as they demonstrated by having to come back vs the lower-seeded Georgetown team today. This has the feel of the Miracle of Ice Gold Medal US hockey team 30 years ago... losing badly (by 7 I think) to the Russians in a "friendly" a few days before the Olympics began, then coming back to make the "Miracle on Ice" and win the Gold.

Take it to 'em ladies!!!
    The women's team is definitely a better team now than they were when UConn hammered them earlier this year--the freshmen have developed very nicely, with Chelsea Gray and Haley Peters especially making big contributions--and Karima Christmas, as she often seems to, has shifted into another gear for the post season. Jasmine Thomas remains Jasmine Thomas, and that's always a good thing.

But they can still be offensively challenged at times, and UConn, while not as dominant as last year, is a very strong and very well coached team. The Lady Blue Devils have their work cut out for them.

I hope they have a great game and win--but there will be no shame in not winning this one as long as they go down swinging.