Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 79, Wake Forest 71 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Great game by miles and Kelly. I thought K made some mistakes tonight with his lineup at times.

We were sloppy down the stretch but the guys hung on to finish 8-0 in ACC road games. That is an awesome accomplishment. Congratulations to the players!!!
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Put your post-game thoughts here.
    Ummm, glad we won. Nice starting 10 minutes of the 2nd half - locked in, playing well. Then our guys fell asleep. I actually thought I saw a couple of them wearing jammies on court. I'm sure Coach K will use the last 10 minutes to teach/motivate. As a fan, I'm going to politely ignore it and look forward to Saturday.

Wake Forest is bad. Ryan, Miles and Seth were good tonight. Mason bounced back with a solid game. Andre played his worst game of the year by far. Hope he brings his 3 pt stroke and brain to Cameron on Saturday. Wish we would not have set the cruise control on 8mph for the last 10 minutes. That was sickening to watch. Got the win, all that matters at this point. Focus on Saturday

Amazing

Amazing what this team has accomplished with all of the perceived faults and weaknesses it has. They've been alot of fun to watch and taken us for a heck of a ride.

And yes it looks like Tony swung at Mason in that video. Frustration I'd guess, but still no excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by gcashwell View Post
    Great game by miles and Kelly. I thought K made some mistakes tonight with his lineup at times.
    I questioned the Thornton and Cook lineup together (not the end game lineup but earlier in the half). My only thought is he was thinking he trust the team to handle Wake and not let off the gas, maybe get some guys some rest. Even Coach K is still learning at his age

good enough to win. not sure that's a good thing.

Miles continues to rebound at an awesome rate. And Mason is way above 50% FTs for the year!!! Another disappearing act from Dawkins, but very solid contributions from everybody else.

Andre?

Did I miss something? Andre barely saw the court in the second half, even when the personnel on the court were generating no offense and letting Wake go on a huge run. Granted, Andre did not do anything outstanding when he was in the game, but I didn't see him make major mistakes, either. He seems to be back on Coach K's quick hook. Given it was only 2 games ago he scored 22 points and was crucial in the FSU game (before riding the pine in much of the second half of that one, as well), what has he done to see his role so diminished?

How we got the W left quite a few things to be desired. But we go the W and that's the important thing. 8-0 on the road in the ACC with this crew is quite an accomplishment. Though it is essentially meaningless, if K doesn't get ACC coach of the year for this team's accomplishments then it will be a real head-scratcher.

I thought we were very fortunate on the block call that gave Mason an and-1 in those closing minutes to end Wake's spurt. I totally thought he charged in that one, and if the charge was called we could very well be looking at a different result.

Our offense was really bad those final 10 minutes. We seemed mentally checked out of the game. Nobody valued the ball, I think we had 3 or 4 straight possessions with turnovers. The defense was ok overall, on some sequences we looked impressive, on others we looked same 'ol - same 'ol for this season.

Our big guys got excellent looks underneath but once again, Mason specifically, had trouble finishing around the basket. This again creates the illusion that we rely on the perimeter too heavily. It almost looks like Mason's hurt because it doesn't even appear to be getting any lift. Whatever it is, it needs to be gone by Saturday.

Curry looked great tonight, especially driving the ball. Kelly was terrific on offense, I love those curls on the elbow. Miles' defense was terrific. If we advance deep in March, it's probably going to be because of him.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Randolph View Post
    I questioned the Thornton and Cook lineup together (not the end game lineup but earlier in the half). My only thought is he was thinking he trust the team to handle Wake and not let off the gas, maybe get some guys some rest. Even Coach K is still learning at his age
    Didn't the Thornton/Cook lineup come after Curry had the knee bump injury? Could K have been trying to rest and protect him from further injury (and fouls)? We'll certainly need him against unc.

Congrats to the team for going undefeated on the road in the ACC!

Congrats to Mason for 8-9 from the free throw line!

Congrats to Ryan!!!

GTHC GTH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Did I miss something? Andre barely saw the court in the second half, even when the personnel on the court were generating no offense and letting Wake go on a huge run. Granted, Andre did not do anything outstanding when he was in the game, but I didn't see him make major mistakes, either. He seems to be back on Coach K's quick hook. Given it was only 2 games ago he scored 22 points and was crucial in the FSU game (before riding the pine in much of the second half of that one, as well), what has he done to see his role so diminished?
    This has concerned me the whole season. Is there something wrong with Andre's play? attitude? consistency? on defense? I really like him, and really want him to succeed. But, as you say, in some games, he disappears...

I was probably most impressed with Kelly taking the ball inside. We need more of that.

Good game for Seth, Miles and Ryan. I love Miles' intensity. He got two big rebounds late in the game. Seth got us going with 3 big 3s and Ryan led us in scoring. Some things for Coach K to get upset with so the guys do get complacent. GoDuke!

Each time he got put in the game in the 2nd half he did one of 3 things (sometimes all 3 during one stint on the court): get beat off the dribble for a layup, miss an open shot, turn it over. He is a shooter so when he misses OPEN looks and doesn't play much defense, he is a liability

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    good enough to win. not sure that's a good thing.

Miles continues to rebound at an awesome rate. And Mason is way above 50% FTs for the year!!! Another disappearing act from Dawkins, but very solid contributions from everybody else.
    Well, it's pretty hard not to disappear when you aren't on the court. He hit one of three shots in 11 minutes and seemed to be moving on offense. He had two rebounds. He seemed to be working hard, if not always effectively, on defense. He had a few fouls, though at least one seemed like a pretty ticky tack call to me. Maybe we can't call this a stellar performance, but I don't see how he can be expected to make an impact, or criticized for "disappearing," when he has so little opportunity to get into a rhythm.

I think Coach K has decided Andre is either on or off. He's either into the game, playing hard and making shots or his not crisp and mistake prone. You can usually tell if he's got it or not and his minutes are earned accordingly.

From my seat in the living room I saw Andre get his shot blocked. Then he proceeded to let his man beat him off the dribble two times and then drop kick the ball over to Wake. I don't know if he was in foul trouble, but he sure got the hook pretty quicky not to return. GoDuke!

You are Just Noticing this?

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    This has concerned me the whole season. Is there something wrong with Andre's play? attitude? consistency? on defense? I really like him, and really want him to succeed. But, as you say, in some games, he disappears...
    Seriously, this has been happening for three years now and you are suddenly made aware...

I wouldn't make much of the Wake comeback, they hit shots that they normally don't hit. Besides the bone head Kelly shot after Miles got the offensive rebound, I felt like we still played smart and well. I'm not going to argue with 8-0 on the road in the ACC having had to go to UNC, MD, Clemson, Va Tech, FSU, Ga Tech...Not bad at all. there aren't many teams in any conference that could pull this off.