Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Statements

I know I'm biased, but I found Barnes's press statement to be much more stilted and pretentious than those of Henson and Marshall. In fact, it read a lot like his statement two years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    I don't see a lot of size there...

McAdoo, Hubert, the freshman James and potentially Oriahki is plenty of size at the 4-5 spots. Especially compared to what everyone else in the ACC (other than State, maybe) is going to have inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    McAdoo, Hubert, the freshman James and potentially Oriahki is plenty of size at the 4-5 spots. Especially compared to what everyone else in the ACC (other than State, maybe) is going to have inside.
    Agree it's plenty of size, but just doesn't seem as formidable as years past.

Quote Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
    Agree it's plenty of size, but just doesn't seem as formidable as years past.
    Well, they would be going from multiple lottery-type players to just one. But still, size up front won't be UNC's problem unless McAdoo leaves and Oriakhi goes elsewhere.

Yea I'd imagine him going to UK over UNC, simply because of the success Anthony Davis had, who is similar in style (however, Davis is worlds better).
    I'm not so sure about that. Everything I have read and seen says that Noel is a stud. He probably is not quite as developed offensively but I've heard he is the best defensive center to come along in a long time. And remember as good as Davis is he's only averaging 14 ppg which is very good for a freshman but not other worldly like say Durant, Beasly or really even Hansolo.

The info that was put out on the David Glenn show today, was that McAdoo had gone home to discuss his status with his family.

Now I'm shocked that no one has been able to come up with a nice photo shop picture of the pigeon flying the coop.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    Let me amend.

SKILLED size.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I know I'm biased, but I found Barnes's press statement to be much more stilted and pretentious than those of Henson and Marshall. In fact, it read a lot like his statement two years ago.
    "I'm honored and blessed to have the opportunity to compete in the NBA," Barnes said in a statement. "The love and respect I have for basketball fuel the drive toward my ultimate goal - to experience an illustrious career in the NBA."

What a douche!

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post

Now I'm shocked that no one has been able to come up with a nice photo shop picture of the pigeon flying the coop.
    Ask, and you shall receive (kinda).

fly away hb.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "even if Orakhi shows up"?

There are still a LOT of imponderables left. Just looking at the three Triangle schools...

Until we know the answer to ... questions, I don't see how we can rank the three Triangle schools -- much less project where they fit in the ACC and nation. Depending on the variety of answers, you could have any order for the three.
    What I meant was, if McAdoo leaves, but Heels add Oriakhi, I do not believe they'd be preseason consensus top 10. To me, McAdoo is clearly the key to Heels' fortunes next season.

You're surely right about all the imponderables, but you must not poop overmuch on the speculation-party, which is a normal, if/and deliriously happy, Duke-fanatic response to the news out of CH.

I forgive you, both because you are right, and because I'm so very happy - for Kendall, John, and particularly Harrison, you understand - just now.

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    Ask, and you shall receive (kinda).

fly away hb.jpeg
    I think this is more like what they were thinking...

pigeon.jpg

pigeon.jpg
    Now that's perfect.

Not your bias. It does remind us of the announcement. The key, stilted, phrases are: "fuel the drive," "illustrious career" [that one's just too easy, because too much], and "next course of my journey."

It's actually possible that Barnes was encouraged to write like this in high school. I have seen plenty of good students whose writing was made worse by bad advice from high school teachers [surely not UNC profs] who were themselves, uh, misguided. Either that or, as I wondered in another thread, some of his teachers noticed this tendency toward purple prose in service of self-importance, but couldn't or wouldn't attempt to help him. Easy to imagine that they sort of let it slide because it paled in comparison to - I mean this - his admirable qualities.

I suspect it was a bit of both. At some point, Barnes crossed an invisible line, and was transformed, in the eyes of a growing circle of star-struck admirers, from a multi-talented young person to an untouchable. It would be interesting to trace his maturing from this point forward.

pigeon.jpg
    bravo! I have no photoshop experience. Perhaps I should take course. You could have made his head much bigger (would fit his ego).

Strunck and White

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Not your bias. It does remind us of the announcement. The key, stilted, phrases are: "fuel the drive," "illustrious career" [that one's just too easy, because too much], and "next course of my journey."

It's actually possible that Barnes was encouraged to write like this in high school. I have seen plenty of good students whose writing was made worse by bad advice from high school teachers [surely not UNC profs] who were themselves, uh, misguided. Either that or, as I wondered in another thread, some of his teachers noticed this tendency toward purple prose in service of self-importance, but couldn't or wouldn't attempt to help him. Easy to imagine that they sort of let it slide because it paled in comparison to - I mean this - his admirable qualities.

I suspect it was a bit of both. At some point, Barnes crossed an invisible line, and was transformed, in the eyes of a growing circle of star-struck admirers, from a multi-talented young person to an untouchable. It would be interesting to trace his maturing from this point forward.
    A good editor would have simplified "to experience an illustrious career in the NBA" as "an NBA career".

At least we know Barnes writes his own material.

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    bravo! I have no photoshop experience. Perhaps I should take course. You could have made his head oversized (would fit his ego).
    Good call. Round 2 coming up!

This time, with ego-appropriate proportions!

pigeon.jpg

A good editor would have simplified "to experience an illustrious career in the NBA" as "an NBA career".

At least we know Barnes writes his own material.
    As does Henson, in light of his recent statement that Marshall was an "intricate" part of the team.

I thought they were supposed to have a good journalism school over there.

This time, with ego-appropriate proportions!

pigeon.jpg
    Heh. It's screaming for the ball but has no chance of ever doing anything with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    As does Henson, in light of his recent statement that Marshall was an "intricate" part of the team.

I thought they were supposed to have a good journalism school over there.
    Maybe he meant "the scaphoid is an intricate bone."