Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Potter book spoilers (no spoilers in this post)

I just want to go on the record RIGHT NOW saying that anyone who posts spoilers from book 7 without both hiding them (change your text color to white) and clearly labelling their post as one containing spoilers will suffer!!

I am going to be reading the book out-loud to my 2 sons. This is how we have each read all 6 of the previous books and even though we know this process will make the story unfold much slower for us than it would for all the rest of you we are committed to doing it this way. It will probably take us several weeks to get the book done and even though I think it will be impossible to avoid, I am going to try not to have the ending spoiled for me.

--Jason "Thanks in advance..." Evans

I think it's great that your are reading it aloud to your son...that's very cool! I will be reading mine with my daughter breathing down my neck (I always go first because I read much faster that she does and I won't wait for her to finish). I will be done with it (barring unforseen interuptions) late on Saturday. I solemnly swear to reveal nothing!!
    Windsor (aka Loni)

a wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age

In another thread, Stray says--

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Incidentally, despite Jason's admonition about posting spoilers, I suspect that anyone who lines up at a bookstore to buy the final volume this weekend will know the ending--or at least whether Harry lives or dies--before they exit the store, because it's a virtual certainty that someone who buys the book will turn immediately to the last page and, either verbally or emotionally, will "give away" the ending.
    I already thought of this and that is why I plan to send my wife to pick up the book for me and my kids. We are not going to be able to do the bookstore party thing because we are travelling that evening. We'll get our copy Saturday morning.

-Jason "I suspect bookstores will warn people picking it up not to give it away-- an ill timed 'Harry dies?!?!?!' from someone at the front of the line could result in a riot" Evans

If you order from Amazon the will guarantee delivery on Saturday - I think the order deadline is today.

I responded to Stray's post on the other thread and I agree...anyone verbally giving away the ending will probably not make it out of the store alive...I certainly would be referring to the 'My Neighbor Must Die' thread looking for an appropriate punishment.
    Windsor (aka Loni)

Two threads for DH

I was thinking that we should have two threads for the book - one that involves spoilers and discussions with a clear warning on the title, and one that is just for "I got it!" and "I finished it!" because I know I will want to share both of those moments with the boards.

Jason, can you rope one of the other mods in to watch for out of place spoilers in order to protect you from the unwanted information?

Exiled

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I suspect bookstores will warn people picking it up not to give it away-- an ill timed 'Harry dies?!?!?!' from someone at the front of the line could result in a riot
    I am definitely wearing headphones, keeping my head down, and not talking to anyone while in line at midnight. I also plan to cut myself off from the internet earlier that evening and I won't rejoin the real world till I finished reading - probably around 11 AM or so.

snowden's "I hate spoilers so much I don't even watch the 'Next week on [fill in TV show] ads" cold

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    I am definitely wearing headphones, keeping my head down, and not talking to anyone while in line at midnight. I also plan to cut myself off from the internet earlier that evening and I won't rejoin the real world till I finished reading - probably around 11 AM or so.

snowden's "I hate spoilers so much I don't even watch the 'Next week on [fill in TV show] ads" cold
    On the few occassions when I have succumbed to reading spoilers I have been deeply disappointed because it sucked all the fun out of the book/movie/tv show - not unlike the year in my childhood when I found every single one of my Christmas presents...boy Xmas morning was a let down that year.

I'll do everything humanly possible not to find out anything about DH in advance. I wonder if it's to late to get a dementor costume to wear Friday night...
    Windsor (aka Loni)

Haha, your post reminded me of an episode of "How I Met Your Mother" where Ted doesn't want to find out the Super Bowl Score and rigs up the "Sense Blocker 5000" (or something like that) to deprive himself of all senses except a peephole for sight.

I am going to a Harry Potter midnight party and as I am unencumbered by children, I plan on staying up all night and finishing it before the sun comes up. I defy anyone on this board to post their first Harry Potter impressions before me (And don't worry, it'll be starred, whited out, and have SPOILER ALERT several times in CAPS)

Quote Originally Posted by Dukerati View Post
    I am going to a Harry Potter midnight party and as I am unencumbered by children, I plan on staying up all night and finishing it before the sun comes up. I defy anyone on this board to post their first Harry Potter impressions before me (And don't worry, it'll be starred, whited out, and have SPOILER ALERT several times in CAPS)
    Does anyone know how long it is? It took me about 10 hours to read HBP because I am not that fast. Just trying to estimate when I'll finish this time...

I have made a vow to myself not to read any websites, or message boards which might give away any ending until I am done, hopefully Saturday or Sunday. This includes The Off Topic Board. I'll avoid the news as well, because you just can't trust that something won't slip out.
    Obviously this is not an option for you Jason, being that it will take you at least two weeks reading aloud, and that your head might explode if you don't post to DBR for two weeks.

Does anyone know how long it is? It took me about 10 hours to read HBP because I am not that fast. Just trying to estimate when I'll finish this time...

784 pages
    (according to amazon)
    Windsor (aka Loni)

Amazon

The Amazon deadline for guaranteed delivery Saturday is noon Tuesday. Order it before that time and they will get it to you Saturday or else you'll get it free.

I'm also going to try to avoid this (and other boards) until getting it read. After that, I would like a place to discuss it, so a thread THAT'S CLEARLY MARKED "CONTAINS SPOILERS" would be welcome.

I don't know about whiting out the copy (as a computer illiterate, how do you to that?) ... but we do need to make sure no headers contain spoilers ... I don't want to see a thread titled "Harry Dies!" (and anybody doing that should be banned for life).

But if there's a thread clearly titled something bland like "Deathly Hallows discussion (includes spoilers)" then I don't think you need to take any precautions inside the thread. If I'm dumb enough to click on it, it's my own fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

I don't know about whiting out the copy (as a computer illiterate, how do you to that?) ... but we do need to make sure no headers contain spoilers ... I don't want to see a thread titled "Harry Dies!" (and anybody doing that should be banned for life).

After you type your dreaded spoiler, highlight the offending text...then click on the A with the (probably black) line under it on the screen (it is next to the font type) you will see a bunch of colors...click on the white (Lower right corner) that turns the text white so it blends with the background. You can use the same technique to be really annoying.

Got it?

I think we should limit spoilers to one thread clearly labeled in screaming capital letter...and you're right...no spoilers in the headers...in fact the headers should be as generic as possilbe.
    Windsor (aka Loni)

Text-coloring not really a good hiding mechanism

Although making the text white to hide spoilers does work for the original poster, and for the person who reads threads on the site, it does not work well when:

a) the original post is quoted (b/c the quote shows up with a darker blue background and the white text is clearly readable), or

b) a reader gets email notifications of post updates, as the email doesn't colorize the text either. (So any text appears in black, no matter the original color.)

So, the best thing is to assume any spoilers in your post will not be hidden, NOTE in advance when you're giving SPOILERS, and please try to keep them all in one, otherwise easily avoidable, thread.

Spoilers

Yea, I'm not sure if I should take my time with this one to saviour the last Harry Potter or if I should race through it to decrease the potential time in which I can be exposed to spoilers. I know that if I wait too long to finish this book, some idiot is going to ruin it for me somehow.

Jason, I am not sure how important it is for you to follow the ritual to a t but could you possibly read it quickly on your own time and also read it to your kids on a slower schedule. I'm sure you'll still be glad to read it to your kids and this way, you avoid having the book ruined for you by some moron who gives away the ending in some form.

Quote Originally Posted by jma4life View Post
    Yea, I'm not sure if I should take my time with this one to saviour the last Harry Potter or if I should race through it to decrease the potential time in which I can be exposed to spoilers. I know that if I wait too long to finish this book, some idiot is going to ruin it for me somehow.
    I plan to read it twice...once at warp speed, and again to catch all the little details an such I missed the first time. I am almost finished re-reading the first 6 - hopefully I'll make it before I have 7 in my hand, it is interesting to read them once you know where the story is going, because with the benefit of that knowledge the clues are SO obvious!
    Windsor (aka Loni)

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor View Post
    I plan to read it twice...once at warp speed, and again to catch all the little details an such I missed the first time. I am almost finished re-reading the first 6 - hopefully I'll make it before I have 7 in my hand, it is interesting to read them once you know where the story is going, because with the benefit of that knowledge the clues are SO obvious!
    America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936 (from the movie Ricky Bobby)

All joking aside, I am always befuddled when people talk about reading something faster or slower. As a voracious reader, I wouldn't really know how to modulate my speed; I just open a book and start reading. I DO read non-fiction (such as text books) slower than fiction and certain writing styles lend themselves to smoother reading but I attribute that to innate differences in information structure and word distribution as opposed to my reading speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukerati View Post
    All joking aside, I am always befuddled when people talk about reading something faster or slower.
    Can't you just, like, start at the last chapter? I mean it's all the same characters in all the other books, right?

A thread for discussion after the book is read is definitely needed. Just be sure it's clearly marked as a Post-reading discussion thread so anyone not wanting to find out something accidentally will know to stay out until they're done. Just my $0.02.

I'm surprised that in a thread about spoilers, THIS hasn't been mentioned yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ossbPGIVikU