Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have new respectfor TH

His statement that he believes that Henderson meant no harm, and his joke in response to the follow-up question, may do more to help settle this thing than anything either Roy of K can do. It may also help to shut up the blathering idiots on TV.

Good job TH!

Do you have a link?

I'd like to see what he had to say.

(By the way, there's no particular reason why you shouldn't have respected him before the incident, IMO.)

Spring Lake, NC (acutally Harnett County)

I agree

Tyler H's comments are a nice touch - particularly coming from someone who has to wear the dreaded plastic mask. Unlike many years past, I do like the UNC players (and Roy Williams). I still want them to lose every game, but I like them.

I have respected Tyler H. and his work ethic from day one. I quibble and complain about him going to the line 88 times a game and never being called for a foul himself - but that's not his fault. He doesn't call the game, he just plays it.

Anyway - it was a class thing to do - lowering the rhetoric and the hype. Thanks Tyler! (Now I hope you lose Friday at 12:00).

There is an article up on the front page. The link is in the article.

I never meant that I had NO respect for him before. I didn't say I NOW have respect, I said I have new respect (meaning additional). It is a somewhat common phrase to say you have new found respect for someone that you may previously not have thought about much one way or the other. I meant no harm.

uhm

I have no problem with Mr. Hansblahblah aside from the fact that he plays a role in Carolina's wins over us, but I do wonder why his teammates were laughing as he was being led off the court. Maybe they were nervous or relieved that he was fine (faces can be wrecked as long as the lower body is intact) or thought the blood was gruesome or maybe they don't much like him. Regardless, there is no way in the world that any Duke player would laugh when one of their teammates is being led off the court with a potentially season-altering injury. I say this partly because some of our friends over at Inside Carolina have wondered whether Roy likes this team very much (lots of talent, not much togetherness). Of course, I certainly have no inside info on that, and maybe they are all wonderful, etc., but I'd like to think there is some disharmony at Carolina while the Powderblue mows down the competition over the next few weeks.

I liked how Tyler said, "because my feelings as a player, I understand if I hit somebody, I don't ever intend to hurt anybody and I don't think he intended it to be like that." To me, that implies he didn't think the foul itself was that outrageous. He is a tough player who expects tough plays, and you have to admire that about the kid.

I concur with the above thoughts on Carolina. All of their players appear to be likeable, much like Duke's. But I want them to lose every time as well.
    Last edited by dcarp23; 03-06-2007 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Corrected quote

Thanks for the link.

I think it's nice that he says he doesn't think it was intentional, but I also find it sad that he was able to say that he hasn't spoken with Gerald about the incident. By now, Henderson should have called him up to apologize, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    His statement that he believes that Henderson meant no harm, and his joke in response to the follow-up question, may do more to help settle this thing than anything either Roy of K can do. It may also help to shut up the blathering idiots on TV.

Good job TH!
    I feel the same way!

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Thanks for the link.

I think it's nice that he says he doesn't think it was intentional, but I also find it sad that he was able to say that he hasn't spoken with Gerald about the incident. By now, Henderson should have called him up to apologize, IMHO.
    I agree, rsv.

And BTW, I have tons of respect for the UNC program and for Ol' Roy. I think they have much more in common with us than not. I want them to do well, just not against us, so that our wins over them (and the rivalry) are more meaningful. My dream season would be Duke over UNC in the national championship game, with Duke ranked 1 and UNC ranked 2 in the final polls.

Priorities in this order:

#1 Duke to win it all
    #2 ACC to do well
    #3 UNC to be really bad but help out the ACC by winning out of conference (losing all conference games)

...and then the crap about the kids all holding hands together and praying for world peace or something.

I don't hate the UNC players with a few exceptions. I actually like Ol' Roy. I almost bought his old house here in Asheville. The only think I hate about UNC is a good portion of their fans. There are a few that I can actually carry on an intelligent conversation with. Good natured banter and gibes ensue. However, there are large contingents that just don’t have a clue and wear sissy blue glasses all the time. Then again there are some that wear royal blue glasses but I have a hard time finding them.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.

Disappointed to read TH had not heard from GH

It would have been a classy move to call. I am particularly surprised since Ellington and Henderson are good friends.

Henderson and Hansbrough

I'm sure there is a some good reason that TH has not heard from Gerald. I'll leave that to the coaching staff to handle.

No need to call TH

I think it would have been swell if G had called Tyler, but really it wasn't necessary. There are hard fouls (some of them by Tyler) all the time. The players don't think they have to be all kissy-face aftewards. That's the fans' way of thinking.

As for respect, I always thought the players on both teams -- Duke and UNC -- respected each other. It's the fans -- again -- who have this gotta-hate-'em approach to the game.

I for one do not hate UNC. When I was at Duke I had lots of friends at UNC, including many Duke grads who go to graduate school at UNC. I did not, but I thought of applying to grad school there without hesitation. The Dukies of my era -- the 70s -- spent lots of time socializing in Chapel Hill. The sports rivalry was intense but we managed to keep it in perspective.

When I hear all this "hate" talk between the schools' fans, I think it's stupid. That's the way Maryland fans think, IMO. If their team isn't in the final four they'd rather see UConn win than Duke or UNC or Ga. Tech. That's short-sighted and stupid, I say. Let's pull for our team, but also pull for the ACC. If the ACC goes into decline it'll hurt all of us.

In sum, the two teams have it in perspective. Why can't the rest of us, on both sides, let that be the way it should go?

I used to like Roy when he was in Kansas, but he has turned out to be more of a whiner and less of an honorable man than I thought he would. He made a nasty crack last year when he had a back injury... said something like, "Maybe I can arrange to give my losses this season to someone else!"

I was surprised at Ellington's comments that were in the linked article:

North Carolina freshman guard Wayne Ellington played with Henderson in high school and is a close friend.

"I've been getting all types of questions about it," Ellington said. "It's an unfortunate situation to have happen, and basically we're trying to move on from it."

From a best friend, that isn't terribly supportive... nothing about it being an accident or G would never do anything like that. I was just disappointed and maybe I shouldn't have been.
    DukeDevilDeb

Triple D, you have to remember it was the reporter that selected the quotes. Ellington could have endorsed Henderson for President for all we know. I guess it depends on the writer. I had to endure a skit (that is what I'll call it) for a news story on the insident by the local ABC affiliate, WLOS. Man, I hate small market news.

DukeDevilDeb, I did see another quote by Ellington (don't have a link handy) that was much more defensive of GH's character. So don't let that one attribution ruin your opinion of the kid.
    Last edited by DukeUsul; 03-06-2007 at 08:45 PM. Reason: misspelling

Quote Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
    As for respect, I always thought the players on both teams -- Duke and UNC -- respected each other. It's the fans -- again -- who have this gotta-hate-'em approach to the game.
    I even recall some Duke players in the recent past who said they occasionally play pick-up games with UNC players... given the closeness of the schools. And, Shel even said he and Sean May were good friends, and talked a couple of times a week... except for the week before and the week after the Duke/UNC game.

I think most players don't have the problem... it's the fans who can't keep it in perspective.

Th & Gh

I too was pleased to read TH's comments. Earlier, on Sunday I think, GH said that he would talk to TH next time he saw him, or something to that effect. It could be that he feels it's best handled in person. IMO fans and the media make a much bigger deal out of this than the players.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.

Question Kissy-face

Quote Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
    I think it would have been swell if G had called Tyler, but really it wasn't necessary. There are hard fouls (some of them by Tyler) all the time. The players don't think they have to be all kissy-face aftewards. That's the fans' way of thinking.
    This was not just a hard foul. Calling someone to express concern for breaking their nose is hardly "kissy-face," although I am not exactly sure what that term means.

As for a fans way of thinking, I played D-1 tennis but I don't think I hit the ball hard enough to break anyone's nose. Still think I would have made the call if I had.