Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Throwing to Blakeney way too much. The 2nd half team looks like a Duke team from 5-10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Time to clutch at straws: all scores have been to the endzone on the right (south?). Isn't that so? Now it's our turn.

sagegrouse
    Well, I guess not. -- sage

Play Boone more...

I'm I wrong to think that with the O-line having problems protecting the QB, the coaches should play Boone more. IMO Boone's ability to scramble makes the Blue Devils offense harder to defend and less predictable. Reinfree hasn't looked good in the second half and he's clearly rushing a lot of his throws because of the pressure. Why not sit Reinfree and go with Boone the rest of the way, especially with Duke down by 3 touchdowns now.

IMO, the coaches should've made the switch in the 3rd quarter when Duke wasn't doing anything on offense.

The interception at the end of the half and ultimate Tech TD really changed the dynamic of the game. We went from new Duke to old Duke instantly. The challenge now is to not lose confidence and get ready for UNC. Time to get angry about today and bring it next Saturday!

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    I'm I wrong to think that with the O-line having problems protecting the QB, the coaches should play Boone more. IMO Boone's ability to scramble makes the Blue Devils offense harder to defend and less predictable. Reinfree hasn't looked good in the second half and he's clearly rushing a lot of his throws because of the pressure. Why not sit Reinfree and go with Boone the rest of the way, especially with Duke down by 3 touchdowns now.

IMO, the coaches should've made the switch in the 3rd quarter when Duke wasn't doing anything on offense.
    When Renfree went down with the injury, Boone wasn't very sharp. Overthrew a couple guys that would've easily been touchdowns. IMO Renfree was our best bet to get back in the game. The load of the blame has to go to the Oline, which was downright atrocious after the first quarter, and as you said, made Renfree rush his throws

All Good points...

Quote Originally Posted by DukeSean View Post
    When Renfree went down with the injury, Boone wasn't very sharp. Overthrew a couple guys that would've easily been touchdowns. IMO Renfree was our best bet to get back in the game. The load of the blame has to go to the Oline, which was downright atrocious after the first quarter, and as you said, made Renfree rush his throws
    Got it....I wasn't able to see all of the game online. Everyone will have to be sharper when we play Carolina next week. I'm concerned at this point that we may see the same thing happen in regards to UNC's defense putting pressure on our O-line and Reinfree to make plays. If Reinfree doesn't get the time he needs to throw the ball and Boone isn't sharp, it could be a long day for us against UNC. I wonder if the team lost its edge a little bit after being UVA and receiving all of the positive press (similar to what happened against Stanford on the road). This team has to stay sharp and play with an edge to win games.

Wakeup call, reality check, whatever. The only thing to do with this game is learn from it. Next play.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    Got it....I wasn't able to see all of the game online. Everyone will have to be sharper when we play Carolina next week. I'm concerned at this point that we may see the same thing happen in regards to UNC's defense putting pressure on our O-line and Reinfree to make plays. If Reinfree doesn't get the time he needs to throw the ball and Boone isn't sharp, it could be a long day for us against UNC. I wonder if the team lost its edge a little bit after being UVA and receiving all of the positive press (similar to what happened against Stanford on the road). This team has to stay sharp and play with an edge to win games.
    Sure, if losing the edge means being smaller and less athletic than the opponent.

Duke was ready to play, they just didn't have the personnel to win against a Virginia Tech team that wasn't sleepwalking.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    This Richmond Times-Dispatch article lists Virginia Tech's three keys to victory:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports...le-ar-2279313/

Key number three really highlights the explosiveness of Duke's offense:

So, the three keys to victory for Duke are:

1. Avoid a slow start.
    2. Stop the run.
    3. Execute on offense.
    Well, one out of three...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Sure, if losing the edge means being smaller and less athletic than the opponent.

Duke was ready to play, they just didn't have the personnel to win against a Virginia Tech team that wasn't sleepwalking.
    Duke was also up 20-0 at the end of the first quarter with missed opportunities that could've put them up more at the time. They also had fumbles and bad turnovers that really cost them and were IMO more a product of sloppiness than being overwhelemed by VT's size and speed. They came out strong in the first quarter and looked like a top 25 team; but as a poster stated earlier, they reverted to the old Duke team by then end of the 2 quarter/early 3rd quarter. I also agree that the turning point in the game was the turnover by Duke and touchdown by VT at the end of the second quarter that changed the game for us. Combined that with miscues on defense that led to explosive touchdown plays; and it was all she wrote.

Duke's going to be undersized against most teams they play in the ACC; but they have the talent to beat many of them if they play sharp imo.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 10-13-2012 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Fix quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    No way around it. Anywhere from a 10-14 point turnaround in the last minute of the 2nd half and the momentum is all VT. Cut needs to settle the team down at the half, get them back to playing fearlessly like they did in the first quarter, and remind them that it's a 30 minute ballgame and they are still in a position to walk out of Blacksburg with the win.
    I said this during chat. Disastrous sequence. Driving nicely for 3 or perhaps 7 late in the half and come up with a bad TO and then fail to put a defender within 5 yards of their receiver on the very next play. 10-14 point turn around. Maybe we don't win with a 20-10 or 23-10 or even a 27-10 lead at the half, but then again, maybe the wheels don't fall off in the third quarter either.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

We looked like we quit out there. 41-0 wow - couldn't block or tackle.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Why does DBR insist on using the VPI designation for Virginia Tech? VPI is the formal name of the University but... "In the late 1970s, the shorthand name "Virginia Tech" was adopted as the proper identification of the university's athletic teams over the acronym "V.P.I." and the media were requested to use "Virginia Tech" in their reporting of sport scores. In the early 1990s, the school authorized the official use of Virginia Tech as equivalent to the full VPI&SU name." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgini...University)Are we unable to honor the request of the University to identify it's athletic teams as Virginia Tech? I understand unc and agree. I wonder why the VPI. It seems, IMO, a little too cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Why does DBR insist on using the VPI designation for Virginia Tech? VPI is the formal name of the University but... "In the late 1970s, the shorthand name "Virginia Tech" was adopted as the proper identification of the university's athletic teams over the acronym "V.P.I." and the media were requested to use "Virginia Tech" in their reporting of sport scores. In the early 1990s, the school authorized the official use of Virginia Tech as equivalent to the full VPI&SU name." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgini...University)Are we unable to honor the request of the University to identify it's athletic teams as Virginia Tech? I understand unc and agree. I wonder why the VPI. It seems, IMO, a little too cute.
    Growing up in Virginia a half-century ago, we always called the school "VPI". As you say, "Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University" is its official name. I see no reason to consider the usage of "VPI" as cute -- it is how some of us old-timers still think of the school.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Growing up in Virginia a half-century ago, we always called the school "VPI". As you say, "Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University" is its official name. I see no reason to consider the usage of "VPI" as cute -- it is how some of us old-timers still think of the school.
    I am a good bit older than you and also remember VPI. That said, they have requested the use of Virginia Tech. That request predates DBR. IMO, we should respect that request. Duke University was known as Trinity College prior to 1924. Should we call Duke "Trinity" rather than Duke today?

I am a good bit older than you and also remember VPI. That said, they have requested the use of Virginia Tech. That request predates DBR. IMO, we should respect that request. Duke University was known as Trinity College prior to 1924. Should we call Duke "Trinity" rather than Duke today?
    Well, I also remember when East Carolina University was the silly but euphonic ECTC -- East Carolina Teacher's College.

sage

Should we call Duke "Trinity" rather than Duke today?
    I wouldn't mind, but I imagine my engineer friends would object. They always seemed to consider the distinction quite important, although I have no idea why.

Illogical metaphor. The official name of Virginia Tech today can, indeed, be represented by the initialism "VPI".

I was really not quibbling about your objection to people using that term ... I was quibbling about your characterization of such usage as "cute". That was not worthy of mention.

Angry VPI

I'll stop using it when VPI does -- they have played several basketball games in the last three seasons with a VPI jersy.

Sometimes I am guilty of oversimplifying things, but a team cannot expect to win when they cannot run the ball. Our net rushing was 22 yards yesterday. Renfree was sacked five times for 38 yards so add those back in and we have 60 yards. Our offense is one dimensional.

Conner Vernon catches that ball at the end of the half 99 out of 100 times. Jamison Crowder misses a touchdown by a couple of inches. Those two plays go the other way and Duke might have won.

The halftime score should have been 23-10 or 27-10. Oh well...shoulda, woulda, coulda...I hope the guys can move on.
    Bob Green