Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

My new painting idea--Help if you can.

I decided what I want my next Duke art project to be. I want to paint the football team in action. My last Duke project was years ago, I painted lots of images from Duke gardens. I thought I was going to do the quad dorms next, but I wasn't thrilled by any of my photos. I was there on grey days, so not a lot of contrast and light.
    But I was thinking all of my paintings are static. Buildings, trees, posed portraits. What would be fun is to catch the football players in motion running plays.
    So I emailed David Cutcliffe that I would like permission to be down on the field with a camera taking pictures while they practice. I said I'd remove any Duke logos or identifiers, I'm not looking to make money on the fact that it's Duke.
    My guess is my email is going to wind up in his spam box or deleted folder, but if anyone has any connections to the football office or knows Cutcliffe, please let him know this is a serious request. Thanks much in advance.
    P.S. Carolina is losing to UVA in WBB. I have no pity.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I decided what I want my next Duke art project to be. I want to paint the football team in action. My last Duke project was years ago, I painted lots of images from Duke gardens. I thought I was going to do the quad dorms next, but I wasn't thrilled by any of my photos. I was there on grey days, so not a lot of contrast and light.
    But I was thinking all of my paintings are static. Buildings, trees, posed portraits. What would be fun is to catch the football players in motion running plays.
    So I emailed David Cutcliffe that I would like permission to be down on the field with a camera taking pictures while they practice. I said I'd remove any Duke logos or identifiers, I'm not looking to make money on the fact that it's Duke.
    My guess is my email is going to wind up in his spam box or deleted folder, but if anyone has any connections to the football office or knows Cutcliffe, please let him know this is a serious request. Thanks much in advance.
    Coach Cutcliffe does answer his email. Recruiting is his top priority right now with Signing Day coming up on February 4. Once that's past, I'm certain you'll hear from him.

Ozzie may be able to help.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

finalllllly!

After emailing a whole bunch of people and getting no responses (which is very frustrating, I'd rather get a "no" then nothing) I decided I'd email Kevin White. Couldn't hurt to try anyways. I don't know if he read my email personally, but Gerald Harrison, the assistant DA, replied to me. He directed me to contact Art Chase in the sports information office, who emailed me that I can go take photos during the spring game. Woohooo!
    The only bummer is the date, because I have my first outdoor art sale that same day. Luckily it was only a small event, maybe I'll send my stepkids out to sell my stuff
    Anyways, I'll be down on the field for the spring game with future paintings in mind!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

After emailing a whole bunch of people and getting no responses (which is very frustrating, I'd rather get a "no" then nothing) I decided I'd email Kevin White. Couldn't hurt to try anyways. I don't know if he read my email personally, but Gerald Harrison, the assistant DA, replied to me. He directed me to contact Art Chase in the sports information office, who emailed me that I can go take photos during the spring game. Woohooo!
    The only bummer is the date, because I have my first outdoor art sale that same day. Luckily it was only a small event, maybe I'll send my stepkids out to sell my stuff
    Anyways, I'll be down on the field for the spring game with future paintings in mind!
    Awesome!! I should be at the spring game too.

Do I feel a brunchgate coming up?

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Awesome!! I should be at the spring game too.

Do I feel a brunchgate coming up?
    Ahhh, brunch in the spring.

Sooooo, when is the spring game?

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    Sooooo, when is the spring game?
    April 18th. I have until then to figure out some of the more advanced functions of my camera, like taking acton photos in a sequence. It better not be an April Showers day.

April 18th. I have until then to figure out some of the more advanced functions of my camera, like taking acton photos in a sequence. It better not be an April Showers day.
    Hmmm... ummm... April 18th huh?

I'm happy to share DBR vibes!

All we need to do is morph some of our "microbe shin-kicking vibes" into "anti-rainy day vibes". Consider it done! No April showers on the 18th! You'll need lots of sun to get some good shadows going for your photos.

This is going to be really great.
    Love, Ima

What are you shooting with?

I always liked to run my cameras through the wringer when I get em. I set up different shots in different conditions and then iterate through the modes. Basically doing the same thing I did way back when I first started shooting b/w. It was a lot of fun. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Hey! I'll be on campus that weekend for my class reunion! Maybe we'll get over there to see part of the football game. . . or maybe we'll be over on the main quad hanging out and drinking beer.

fund raiser?

Maybe if you offered a print or the painting for the football program, you would get a response. Just a thought.

You are welcome to stay here during your football shoot.

Today was awesome!

After our Brunchgate, I headed down to the field pretty much expecting to get told that nobody knew I was allowed to be there. Within 30 seconds, some guy walks up (I'm thinking as he walks up "crapola, I'm outta here") and offers me a roster sheet so I can put names to the pictures I'm taking. He tells me he knows who I am and why I'm there, and where I could take pictures from. (I got to roam the sidelines on the home side, but not the other). I thanked him and went at my business. I've been having a blast tonight going through my pictures, I spent the whole first half shooting. I have tons to choose from now. The second half I went up and enjoyed the shade with Tilly, Ozzie and Knight68. I'm getting ready to start my first painting tonight. I'm exhausted from the full day of travelling, but I've been dying for this opportunity. I've picked my first subject out, it's this photo. Once it's done, you can see how my work goes from camera to paint and paper. This photo was a favorite from the moment I hit the shutter.

tackle.jpg

I watched and watched and watched!

After our Brunchgate, I headed down to the field pretty much expecting to get told that nobody knew I was allowed to be there. Within 30 seconds, some guy walks up (I'm thinking as he walks up "crapola, I'm outta here") and offers me a roster sheet so I can put names to the pictures I'm taking. He tells me he knows who I am and why I'm there, and where I could take pictures from. (I got to roam the sidelines on the home side, but not the other). I thanked him and went at my business. I've been having a blast tonight going through my pictures, I spent the whole first half shooting. I have tons to choose from now. The second half I went up and enjoyed the shade with Tilly, Ozzie and Knight68. I'm getting ready to start my first painting tonight. I'm exhausted from the full day of travelling, but I've been dying for this opportunity. I've picked my first subject out, it's this photo. Once it's done, you can see how my work goes from camera to paint and paper. This photo was a favorite from the moment I hit the shutter.
    tackle.jpg

But couldn't see anybody I thought was you! Maybe it's because I've only seen you in your Cat in the Hat hat! Native and I sat in the president's box. How deeeeelightfully breezy and shady.

The we sauntered over to Koskinen and picked up the final home game of the year for the LAX guys. They did us proud after a sort of slow start. Native has taught me enough of the rules to get me by. I'm hooked!!!! And aren't I the lucky grandmother whose 16-year-old grandson actually TAKES her to these things? "Somewhere in my youth (or childhood) I must have done something good."

Love, Ima

PS the bathrooms at the LAX field were very, very, VERY nice.

One more thing....

...it sure would be nice to see snaps of your project as it develops. any chance?

Love, Ima

tackle.jpg
    I saw you working! The scrimmage and the weather today were pretty good for making photos to inspire paintings. It's also clear that we have a lot to look forward to when the football season begins in September.

Looking forward to seeing the finished painting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ima Facultiwyfe View Post
    ...it sure would be nice to see snaps of your project as it develops. any chance?
    Of course I'll keep you up to date, and I loved the story from above, your grandson sounds like a welcome winner. Even if you didn't see me down there, I love the fact that you even looked, and love that DITBD found Waldo. (Must have been the long matted hair that absolutely nobody else down there had )
    I've already got my next 3 paintings set up in my head, but gotta get the first one off my board. I'll keep you up to date.

tackle.jpg
    This is an absolutely tremendous idea. Put us down for one of your early efforts!

1st painting finished