Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeHoopsGuru View Post
    A road loss to a good team isn't the end of the world, but this is 2006 without Kyrie. It's scary how similar they are.

1. Redick = Smith
    2. Williams = Singler
    3. McRoberts = Mason (Both overrated white McDonald's AA)
    4. Nelson = Dawkins (both 1 dimensional in what they do offensively)
    5. Paulus = Curry (both good shooters, good hoops IQ, can't sniff a drive)

Again not the end of the world, but could see a Sweet 16 exit against a team just like this and just like LSU.
    These comparisons are ridiculous. None of the players you have next to each other are even close except for a McRoberts and Mason comparison. The sky is not falling. We lost road games to Wisconsin, Georgetown, NC State and Georgia Tech last season and remember how we thought we would never do anything last year. The only other loss was to Maryland. We will be ok. We have Coach K and he will find his Zoubek and tweak a few things.
    The Terrapin Assassin

I actually think Nolan had a pretty good game in this one. Everyone seems to forget that he continues to play out of his element. He is NOT a point guard but is filling the role out of necessity. Our offense will struggle in many future games. What we should not see is the kind of poor defense we saw tonight, especially at a time where it matters most. The defense between the 10 and 5 minute marks of the 2nd half lost us this game.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    We won't lose 10 games in regular season, and we will get a tournament bid, but without an inside game, we will not advance far. This is essentially the same team that won the NCAA minus Scheyer, Thomas, and Zoubek, and plus Curry. Too much lost, and not enough gained. But the inside play (or lack thereof) is really disappointing, and without Irving, will be limiting. We seem not to be able to execute in the half court, and tournament games are half court games. It's not like this is the first time we have lost at FSU, but we have not made the Final Four losing at FSU.
    The good news is that we don't have to play AT anyone to make the final four. I'm not really buying "not much gained" unless you honestly think that Dre and Ryan have had zero improvement since the end of last year. We had no inside scoring last year and it didn't hurt us. Sure, we don't rebound as well, but we also get more turnovers and have more scorers than last year's team had.

If it takes the best defensive team in the country, bringing their A game at home to hold us to 61 and win by 5, I'll take my chances.

I think this was really the blueprint of how to beat Duke. Duke out rebounded 34-33, but I really feel that stat is a bit misleading. FSU got a ton of second chance points. FSU packed the paint, forced Duke to make outside shots and Duke couldn't convert. If Dre has a half decent game (instead of going 1-8 from 3) this game would be a different story. Overall though, it's hard not to fault our lack of an inside game. 3, 3, and 0 points from MP2, RK, and MP1, respectively. It's going to be hard to win in the tourney if we can't get more than that from our bigs, as we're destined to have a few off nights shooting.

I think this game is going to be a great learning experience. I felt Nolan was forcing too many shots/drives, and we still haven't found ways to get our post play involved. I really think the answer here is to run more set plays designed to set up the post. Without KI drawing double-teams and help side defense for easy dishes, we need to get more creative in the way we use our bigs. Kyle and Nolan will find their points - for us to get better it has to start with some points in the post.
    Trinity '09

Aw geez, here we go.

Granted, it's a little early for Duke's classic mid-season stinker of a game but do we have to start the dirge now?

Don't suppose the first half of touch fouls on Duke had much to do with it, eh?

More than Kyrie, we need some kind of inside game. That's what was missing. A rebound here or there and a put-back here or there would have helped a lot (and a few less of whatever that play is where we drive, split defenders, and fumble the ball away). We were one dimensional all night and didn't make the successful adjustments we usually do.

Every team has an off night. We're still very good. We aren't number one, but we could get back there if we get a big man to emerge and/or KI back. Helluva good start to the season in any case, it isn't often we go 15-0 to start.

Can we please spell JJ's name right?
    Please??

It's a pet peeve of mine.

REDICK!

Thanks for letting me blow off some steam!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    My my, are we already going there?

You never heard me doubt K's ability or even begin to scoff at his success, but it's almost not even debatable that K can't out-coach a bad match-up without a miracle performance

FSU came out like it was a must win game for them, which it was. We never matched their intensity. Their defense was suffocating, especially on our ball handlers. Yes, I wish we had looked inside a few times, but I saw our bigs trying to post up and not providing very good targets for the catch. FSU is an elite defensive team and it really showed tonight keeping us well below our season average.

Still, playing ugly, we were right there at the end. We never took a lead after our comeback which was significant, and they hit a lot of big shots when we would draw even. Kitchen killed us, and Singleton's 3 when we cut it to 2 late was a back breaker. We also missed a few free throws down the stretch that would have kept more game pressure on them, and they nailed every big FT down the stretch.

It was their night.
    In the end, it WAS their night, but it wasn't some strange anomaly. It was to be expected that there would be struggles IF things fall the way they typically due during a Duke loss; poor night shooting 3's and a career performance from an opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRob8801 View Post
    ACC coaches with any length of tenure typically outcoach K when the talent doesn't match up.

Are you serious or is this supposed to be sarcastic?

Our energy level was down all game ... That led to horrendous 3-pt shooting ... And, coupled with the aforementioned lack of post offense, led to tonight's outcome.

Maybe we need to bring Zoubs back for a few practice sessions, but our post players could use a few "come to Jesus" meetings. One-dimensional teams are, obviously, easier to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazieDUMB View Post
    I think this was really the blueprint of how to beat Duke. Duke out rebounded 34-33, but I really feel that stat is a bit misleading. FSU got a ton of second chance points. FSU packed the paint, forced Duke to make outside shots and Duke couldn't convert. If Dre has a half decent game (instead of going 1-8 from 3) this game would be a different story. Overall though, it's hard not to fault our lack of an inside game. 3, 3, and 0 points from MP2, RK, and MP1, respectively. It's going to be hard to win in the tourney if we can't get more than that from our bigs, as we're destined to have a few off nights shooting.

I think this game is going to be a great learning experience. I felt Nolan was forcing too many shots/drives, and we still haven't found ways to get our post play involved. I really think the answer here is to run more set plays designed to set up the post. Without KI drawing double-teams and help side defense for easy dishes, we need to get more creative in the way we use our bigs. Kyle and Nolan will find their points - for us to get better it has to start with some points in the post.
    That is the most accurate comment/advice I have read yet...I agree with that analysis 100%.

Remember that any whiny comments you write will likely be enjoyed by Duke haters who no doubt are flocking here. So whassup Haters? We lost an ACC road game. FSU played better for 40 minutes, wanted it more for 40 minutes, and deserved to win. Congrats to them. Duke will be Duke.

I'm glad we could provide FSU with their 3rd championship in the past 9 years.

I actually was thinking people wouldn't be running for the hills already, but then I see people talking about K being out-coached regularly in ACC play, and Kyrie should have never come here, and this Duke team is the same as the 2006 Duke team, and so on and so forth. So, I think I'm just going to sit this one out because some of you guys/girls need a night to cool off.

Like everyone else, I'd have loved some more offensive balance and especially a productive post game. Wondering why Miles didn't get back in the game after the start -- or did he, and I just missed him?

Credit FSU, who played with heart and buckled down for the win. They deserved it tonight, though I wish that wasn't true.

(I've been meaning to ask -- are over-the-back calls a point of de-emphasis this year? There were several by Gregory last game that weren't called, and I saw a few by both teams tonight, also uncalled. The frequency seems to have really dropped from last year.)

I probably called out a few posters at least once or twice. Yes, I think this Duke is a #1 team and I think will have a #1 seed come tournament time. Yes, no need to worry, though this team isn't as good as I hope it will be at the end of the year. Yes, I still do think Mason will come around and like the fact that he can grab 14 rebounds against a very aggressive team when some are questioning his effort. Nolan and Kyle can carry this team quite far, but I am hoping for continued development for the rest of the team so it can go even further.
    Well played FSU, they were the aggressor, played great D and deserved to win.
    Last edited by SupaDave; 01-12-2011 at 11:41 PM. Reason: deleted post removed
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Class

Our coach is nothing but class. In the post game interview, he did nothing but give FSU credit. Nothing like old roy, making excuses and throwing his players under the bus. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRob8801 View Post
    It's sad AND a true testament to recruiting when a single player is the obvious difference between a "good" team and a "great" one.
    Not so much a single player but that player in addition to the two seniors this year.

Always need 3 players to win. 3 are impossible to guard.

Did we play poorly tonight? Yes. Does that mean the season is over and we have no chance of doing well in the postseason? No. We shot 31% for the game, turned it over 15 times, and still only lost by 5 when FSU was shooting far better than they have in the past. Obviously, they played good D, but we also missed some open shots. What I am concerned about is the fact they outhustled us for loose balls and rebounds. Nolan made some odd decisions which are uncharacteristic, almost trying to force stuff. Kitchen had a great game. It was our first true road game in a hostile environment. Just the perfect storm.

In basketball, sometimes the ball bounces your way, and sometimes it doesn't (both literally and figuratively). They had some lucky bounces including that killer 3 that went way up, and it seems like we missed 3 point blank layups.

I'm not worried about our poor shooting, but the lack of post-play on the offensive and defensive end and get outhustled for loose balls is a bit concerning. However, we had losses like that last year vs. Georgetown and NC St. We looked really pathetic against Georgetown, yet we righted the ship. We have the chance to do that again this season, and if Kyrie comes back, we'll take it up another notch.

Certainly disappointing game. Shouldn't really lose to a team that lost to one of the worst BCS teams in the nation in Auburn. But give them credit; they outplayed us, played good D, and knocked down some tough shots. It seems like K didn't like the way Miles was playing at all - he benched him for quite some time and we definitely need to improve our post play. But the sky isn't falling.

Don't jump ship just yet

I dislike the loss as much as anyone but this may help us get focused for the remaining part of the season. For sure, we have to get more inside improvement and we cannot live by the 3 as evidenced by tonight. My money is on Coach K to figure out the best combination going forward and LET'S GO DUKE....the sun will rise and we will move on to the next game. See you at Cameron versus VA on Saturday

I think the biggest negative change since losing Kyrie has been lack of ball movement. Nolan is a great scorer and a fantastic player, but he really does not distribute the ball well at all. Without Kyrie, we are over-reliant on dribbling and ball screens and not reliant enough on passing (and I don't mean swinging the ball around the perimeter aimlessly). We need to start making that extra pass!

That said, this was just an off game. We are still a very good team, though clearly not the best team in the country. IMO, that honor belongs to either Kansas or Ohio State.