Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    some positive spin...

1. unc is, in fact, pretty darn good. I figured we still had a chance the first time we got it down to 11. Unc remembered the last game and this time decided to finish.
    2. roy never cares about the acc tournament. So we can still win that.
    3. We won't be in unc's bracket, and we can still play not to be in ky's or cuse's. This matters more than one game against unc.
    4. Given our first half performance, coulda been worse.
    5. This was our last non-elimination game. If this is the lower limit of how we play at this point, that's good news.
    Duke does not match up well with UNC. UNC is not deep and an ACC tourney could be tough for them. Still, I am surprised how well UNC has managed to play after losing Strickland. I think Roy deserves some credit for getting his guys to play down the stretch. Duke is a good but not a great team. At the beginning of the season if you had told me Duke would have finished one game behind UNC and beat them once- I think I would have taken it. The loss tonight says that Duke may not have what it takes to win the NCAA crown- but they have had a very good year. And if you do not think this game is important - every Duke NCAA championship team has beaten UNC in the last regular season game and every UNC NCAA championship team has beaten Duke in the last regular season game. This game is a measure of how well a team can handle the big moment at the end of the year. We will see if UNC can ride this win.

Sometimes, it's just "not your night". When so many open looks miss, and drives to the basket miss, and Henson "throws" in a left-handed hook off balance and gets fouled... well, it's very hard to overcome.

But, the next 9 games are all on neutral courts... yes, I said 9 games

And, maybe a #2 seed in the East close to home is better than a #1 seed out West?

I also have a good feeling for the ACCT. ANYTHING can happen.

That could have gone better.

Thought we would have had a shot if Curry had hit that wide open 3 with ~5:30 left to cut it to 8. Oh well. Hate to get beat, hate to get beat by Carolina even more, hate to get beat by Carolina at home even more, hate to get humiliated by Carolina at home the most. They had some punks behind their bench tonight who thought they were real cool. Also thought it was pretty classless of Barnes and Marshall to mockingly join in Miles' Plumlee's last applause.

At least we're still +14 against UNC during the last two season-finales at Cameron.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    I think we may be talking past each other. My post was about the last 10 minutes, whereas here you refer to first half.

We might even disagree about first half, as I agree with those posters who have noted that Duke got plenty of open looks in first half.

Actually what most impressed me about Heels, and depressed me about Devils, was their guards hitting O-boards, and our guards ball-watching. Mason and Miles were only slightly outrebounded by Zeller and Henson. But our perimeter guys - who must, must, must block out - didn't.

Great point...it has been noticeable all season long that our perimeter players (in particular) need to help out on the boards by boxing out the bigger and stronger guards that they are guarding.
    Windy City Devil

I think we may be talking past each other. My post was about the last 10 minutes, whereas here you refer to first half.

We might even disagree about first half, as I agree with those posters who have noted that Duke got plenty of open looks in first half.

Actually what most impressed me about Heels, and depressed me about Devils, was their guards hitting O-boards, and our guards ball-watching. Mason and Miles were only slightly outrebounded by Zeller and Henson. But our perimeter guys - who must, must, must block out - didn't.
    I absolutely agree that our guards need to block out better, but how much of the out rebounding by the guards/small forward is due to our lack of height/a prototypical small forward? I'm just curious about other's POV.

Roy had a good timeout call in the second half

And it really hurt Duke's momentum. I think Tyler Thornton's defense on Barnes really got into his head, and proved to be disruptive and helped the attempted comeback a lot. Duke had a shot to get it in single digits several times during one sequence, and I think the pressure of the game proved to be overwhelming.
    However, I don't think this win makes Carolina an automatic one seed. However, both teams have to make the Final in the ACC tourney for that to be true. It still seems like something is off between Curry and Rivers. I still think a lot of role players (Curry and Kelly in particular) are trying to fill some roles that they aren't built for. And I'm not taking anything away from them, I think it is what it is. I think Cook is more talented than Thornton, but I think Thornton fills his role much better. Thornton just really reminds me of Wojo. Purely speculation, but I wonder if Tyler is like the glue guy between the veterans, and the newcomers.
    I do think the Carolina team is very similar to Duke's last Championship team, but have a ton more talent. I really do wonder who the better coach is, Williams or Calipari? Even though I don't think either are a very good game coach, I think they both recruit really well, and I think Calipari is a better leader. I don't think Calipari is a better leader than Krzyzewski.

Just a bunch of random thoughts. I don't think this loss is the end of the world, Duke and Carolina are now tied 1-1. I think this loss is a byproduct of a team that had to prove something, and a more inexperienced "big time game" team. Duke has a tournament team, could go on a pretty good run. But I think Curry and Rivers need to figure out who they are to this team, and vice versa. I wonder if Curry can help facilitate Rivers instead of competing with him. They really remind me of N. Smith and K. Irving last year, even though the circumstances are completely different.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    Sometimes, it's just "not your night". When so many open looks miss, and drives to the basket miss, and Henson "throws" in a left-handed hook off balance and gets fouled... well, it's very hard to overcome.

But, the next 9 games are all on neutral courts... yes, I said 9 games

And, maybe a #2 seed in the East close to home is better than a #1 seed out West?

I also have a good feeling for the ACCT. ANYTHING can happen.
    I like your attitude!

Quote Originally Posted by cptnflash View Post
    ... we actually did have a chance to make it a game with about 5 minutes left. We were down 11 when Seth got a wide open look at a 3... and missed. Then we got a stop, Rivers got fouled, and missed the front end of a 1-and-1. If, instead of missing those shots, we make them (and Rivers' ensuing second free throw), suddenly it's a 2 possession game (i.e., UNC has a 6 point lead) with about 4 minutes left, we have all the momentum, and UNC has that "oh no, not again" feeling. [1] That was our one chance to win. Unfortunately, Seth missed a shot he usually hits, and Rivers continued to struggle from the line. But the truth is that [2] UNC deserved to win. They're the better team, and they played a great game tonight.

[3] I hope we see them again next Sunday.
    Good points.

[1] That was the exciting moment, and became the deflating moment.

[2] Yep.

[3] Me, too, though naturally I wouldn't be depressed if UNC dropped out early. ACCT seeds still to be determined. Interesting games tomorrow. Looks like Duke will have tougher road. No way UNC loses to 8-9 winner. Clemson still a possible 7-seed, which I'd prefer, because they're beatable, possibly by 10-seed, and certainly by 2-seed. Whoever that is.
    Last edited by gumbomoop; 03-03-2012 at 10:09 PM.

It surely means UNC now has a leg up on Duke for NCAAT 1- seed. Seems as if UK and 'Cuse are certain, with KU, MichSt, UNC, and maybe still Duke fighting for other 1-seeds. I'd think UNC now only needs to make ACCT semis to stay ahead of Duke for a 1-seed, just in case either KU or MichSt falter.
    I don't think that's true, or true in any sense that matters. Tonight's loss only counts once towards either team's total body of work.

If you had told me that the Plumlees would outscore Henson and Zeller and that Barnes would have a horrible shooting night, I'd have felt REALLY good about our chances to win. Unfortunately, our guards and Kelly just couldn't quite do enough. Kelly (1-8), Curry (3-13), and Dawkins (essentially a no-show) just had bad nights. Getting a combined 14 points on 22 shots from three of our top scorers isn't going to cut it against a team as good as UNC.

Great game from Miles tonight. He has really stepped up down the stretch. He played the ACC Player of the Year to a standstill tonight. He should be very proud of himself. Mason stepped up with the scoring, but 4 rebounds just isn't enough. Still, can't complain with a 17-point night from him, along with 2 assists, 2 steals, and 2 blocks. Good defense from Thornton on Barnes. Thornton really frustrated him.

UNC was thought to be the better team coming into the season. I think they're probably the better team on average. Our margin for error against them is slim, and we didn't come close to playing our best ball tonight. That said, I like that we fought back in the second half. Had Curry's 3 fallen with about 5 minutes to go, I think we might just have pulled off the comeback. But failing to score on consecutive chances to cut the lead to single digits pretty much sealed our fate.

Hopefully we'll have better fortunes in the ACC and NCAA tournament. This was tough to take, but hopefully we can build on the good aspects (basically the Plumlees' scoring and the fight in the second half).

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJ10 View Post
    [/B]

Great point...it has been noticeable all season long that our perimeter players (in particular) need to help out on the boards by boxing out the bigger and stronger guards that they are guarding.
    I agree that the guards need to help out in boxing out and gang rebounding because we have an undersized perimeter. That said, I was very proud of the performance of Miles and the second half performance of Mason as many posters have pointed out. In all honesty, I'm not surprised that Carolina spanked us tonight; they've been stewing over this game for a few weeks now and we just don't play well at home. I think the performances of MIles and Mason could bode well for this team in the ACCT and the NCAAT; and I don't agree with the assertion that this team is not as good as its record. When guys have been on this team can beat anybody; the problem with this team is consistency with everyone not named Austin, Seth and Tyler although Miles has really stepped it up the last few weeks. How is it Ryan can playt confident and shoot well one game like against Wake Forest and com,pletely stink it up in the followng game or a big game like tonight? And Dre, when he is on, appears to play big on the road and tends to disappear at home.

We need Dre and Ryan Kelly to be consistent from here on out in order to win or we may have problems making it to the sweet 16. The other positive is that this team has a track record of being sharper on the road and I think we are going to be fine in the ACCT and personally I think we're going to use the sting of this loss to do really well in the NCAAT. I could see us returning the favor to Carolina and beating them in the ACCT (if they make it to the championship game).

Free throws. Gah. Under 70% on the year. Worst I can remember a Duke team shooting.

3 point shooting. Double gah.

But a good regular season, if not a little needlessly tense. 1-1 against the hated rivals. Top 10 going in to the ACC tourney.

Not a bad year at all!

huh

Quote Originally Posted by johnny2001 View Post
    when you are not athletic, and this team is by no means athletic, you have to work harder than the rest. not only did we not work harder than the rest, we looked like a bunch of kids being awestruck by something they haven't seen before.

i'm tired of having to shoot 3s to offset having weak athletic ability on the glass and on defense..
    How many threes did you shoot?

Well

I said beforehand the key to the game was rebounding. It kinda was. Bullock's offensive rebounding was unexpected, but really hurt. He had an outstanding game. The Plumlees actually hung tough with Zeller/Henson, but their backcourt outplayed ours.

It was just one of those games when nothing went right.

When Seth Curry barely hit the rim on a free throw, I knew something wasn't right. My stomach sank.

I have to say, I am disappointed that was the best we could do on our home court against our arch rival. There is no excuse. That was pathetic. Thank God, we don't have to play at Cameron again this year. I am just going to forget about about 2011-2012 at Cameron.

With that being said, next play!

Quote Originally Posted by barjwr View Post
    Doug Gottlieb: "Duke is not as good as their record is." Huh?!?!?!? We played the 4th best schedule of the year and were No 2 in the RPI, and we're not as good as our record?

I buy that UNC is better than their record (when they decide to play), but I don't get that comment at all.
    The overrated RPI strikes again. Duke is not the second best team. More like top eight or so.

Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    The overrated RPI strikes again. Duke is not the second best team. More like top eight or so.
    Which is pretty much where their record puts them. Just Gottlieb being Gottlieb.

I completely disagree

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    We didn't get the kind of looks we had in the Dean dome from the perimeter, not in the 1st half at least. That crazy run they went on in the beginning was mostly due to UNC's perimeter D and their ability to quickly recover inside. The defense they played during that sequence was as good as you'll see from anybody.
    The first half a dozen, maybe more, shots Duke missed were wide open on the perimeter...not sure what game you were watching, but Duke actually shot better later in the 1st half when Carolina was playing D...Duke simply couldn't hit there ___ with both hands, except for the Senior in the first 10 minutes...had almost nothing to do with Carolina's D...if Duke was shooting well, both teams would have been in the mid 40s at half.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    The first half a dozen, maybe more, shots Duke missed were wide open on the perimeter...not sure what game you were watching, but Duke actually shot better later in the 1st half when Carolina was playing D...Duke simply couldn't hit there ___ with both hands, except for the Senior in the first 10 minutes...had almost nothing to do with Carolina's D...if Duke was shooting well, both teams would have been in the mid 40s at half.
    Spot on.

Mason was missing layups, seth was missing layups, the threes were bricking...nothing falling. Personally i think we came up so jacked up that it got the shooting off...then once we calmed down a bit we were already down 22-5.

the rest of the game was 66-65...almost dead even

need to work on getting settled down much more quickly...playing with energy, but not so much that it inhibits good play
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Which is pretty much where their record puts them. Just Gottlieb being Gottlieb.
    I think Gottlieb had a good point. We were ranked #3 going into tonight's game, but I don't think we were the third best team in the country. Top 10, probably yes. But I think Gottlieb would agree to that. We have been a largely successful but very flawed (defense) team this year, which isn't the end of the world considering we lost two all-Americans and the #1 NBA pick who never really had a chance at Duke. This was objectively a rebuilding year of sorts, but Rivers turned out to be good enough to mask that at times.
    Quel est si drole de la paix, de l'amour, et de la comprehension?

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    I think Gottlieb had a good point. We were ranked #3 going into tonight's game, but I don't think we were the third best team in the country. Top 10, probably yes. But I think Gottlieb would agree to that. We have been a largely successful but very flawed (defense) team this year, which isn't the end of the world considering we lost two all-Americans and the #1 NBA pick who never really had a chance at Duke. This was objectively a rebuilding year of sorts, but Rivers turned out to be good enough to mask that at times.
    http://lh4.ggpht.com/-l5jq2U-8x7Q/T0...5B2%25255D.jpg

i don't know if its in the tournaments this year, or next year when we have almost all our pieces back (assuming mason and austin stay, which is becoming better chances lately imo) plus adding marshall and alex...

don't wan't to give up on this year, but whatever happens, we're going to have a heck of a team next year

anyway, forget that....on to the ACC tournament!
    1200. DDMF.