24 (soon to have spoilers but not in my post)

I am 100% that no one has watched last night's show yet, since 100% of us were otherwise occupied, either at Cameron or watching the game on TV. But I thought I'd start the thread anyway!

I'll be curious to see whether there was more violence on 24 last night or in Cameron. There were enough muggings in Cameron to make this a legitimate question
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

OK, I've watched it. Had to put reality belief on hold for most of the two hours, but I'm OK with that. But having to talk Jack Bauer into doing the right thing? That's pushing the limit a little too far! Other than that, I'll be watching tonight for sure.

The reporter being framed is hot! Oh, can I say that on this board? That's just crazietalk!

9F 9F 9F

Yeah, we definitely had to put Reality Belief on hold for this one. Exactly how can someone with a trailer trash background fake their past and become a member of CTU?

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Yeah, we definitely had to put Reality Belief on hold for this one. Exactly how can someone with a trailer trash background fake their past and become a member of CTU?
    I imagine at a place like CTU, someone who dresses like that is a sight for sore eyes.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Kim wants to go to CTU HQ? She has to know that's one of the most unsecure locations on the planet. CTU LA was sabotaged, gassed, bombed and infiltrated. You avoid CTU like the plaque.

I thought the first two hours were enjoyable. Most of the 24 cliches were present. Hopefully the writers will minimize the personal subplots and focus on the main plotline.

I really enjoy Jack firing off orders to people throughout the government. He hasn't ordered the Prez to do anything yet this year, but you know he will. This season he's already ordering around the putz who runs CTU...Zoe is as personable as ever...will they dig up Tony again? Can't remember if he's dead or not, but it doesn't matter, because if they want him back they'll find a way.

Small spoilers here

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    OK, put reality belief on hold
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I really enjoy Jack firing off orders to people throughout the government. He hasn't ordered the Prez to do anything yet this year, but you know he will. This season he's already ordering around the putz who runs CTU...Zoe is as personable as ever...will they dig up Tony again? Can't remember if he's dead or not, but it doesn't matter, because if they want him back they'll find a way.
    How does such a wimpy putz get into a position of power like that? Oh, yeah, he's a bureaucrat. And "Jenny" giving in to her stalker from the past? Ugh. Omar would never have admitted his "indescretion" so quickly, even if he's in love with the reporter. The bad cop's beating of Jack - the wounds healed even before he got out of the good cop's car at the bombing site. Double ugh.

I did like Renee's solution to the bracelet "problem"... She's an evil woman, rhymes with witch But where is Jack going to find something to cauterize that wound in an auto parts store? Ah, one of the welders should do the trick!

Bring on hour 5!

9F 9F 9F

This is long but a friend's thoughts on the first couple episodes:

I hate to say it but I was underwhelmed by the premiere last night. I hope that tonight's episode revs it up and we have a "jaw-dropping did that just happen moment". I won't discuss the geography of New York and how long it would actually take Jack Bauer to get from point A to point B because I have never been to New York so I cannot comment on transit times. For all I know the Statue of Liberty is in the middle of Central Park. Since the show was not the greatest last night I'll just talk about themes that I noticed last night that have been present in most seasons.

Overly Complicated Henchmen Plans

The show started off with two assassins attempting to snuff out some guy named Victor who is in on the assassination of President Hassan. These two geniuses have already killed two of Victor's friends. They know the apartment that Victor is heading towards and instead of lying in wait to easily kill him, say standing behind a curtain in the apartment, they decide to go the sniper route. This plan does not pan out and a car shootout in the middle of the day ensues. I guess the show needed to start with a bang.

Casting Generic-Looking Minority to Fill Minority Role

Casting Anil Kapoor to play President Hasan proves my belief that Hollywood will cast any generic-looking minority to fill a minority. Anil Kapoor is Indian and is playing Arab President Hassan. For those not familiar with Mr. Kapoor, he played the shady game show host in Slumdog Millionaire and is definitely not Arab. Hassan's brother (a dead ringer for the guy from Rushmore and The Darjeeling Limited) and wife definitely look Arab. Hollywood seems to be under the impression that people cannot tell the difference between and Arab person and an Indian, and maybe most people cannot, but I can and I find it annoying. This casting makes as much sense as Tom Cruise being the last samurai. Also, I'm not to sure about President Hassan. More on that later.

Hamlet/The Lion King

It seems like the writers have decided to inject a Hamlet/The Lion King subplot this season. Just as Claudius and Scar attempted to usurp their brother's throne, President Hassan's brother is out to bring down his brother. The only question is whether Hassan's brother has something going on with his brother's wife. If so, then I think we can expect Hassan's daughter to play the role of Prince Hamlet and attempt to thwart Hassan's brother's plans in order to set things right. She already fits the role of the young Danish prince/Simba perfectly. She's unsure of herself and seems like an outcast within the inner circle of power even though she is a part of it. It will be interesting to see whether she dies like the melancholy prince of Denmark or whether she triumphs as mighty Simba did.

The Overly Skeptical Boss

This season's overly skeptical boss is CTU's new director, Brian Hastings. Hastings is off to a strong start as being a hard headed son of I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.. He refuses to buy into Chloe's and Jack's theories about following different leads because he has already set his sights on what he believes to be the right suspect. This character has appeared throughout the series' history and is also a common figure in many movies. The most memorable in my opinion being, Captain Carmine Lorenzo from Die Hard 2. And just like that fat I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. Capt. Lorenzo, CTU director Hastings will have his "blanks being shot at him moment" and realize that he was following the wrong scent this whole time and become an ardent supporter of Jack Bauer.

Middle Eastern Dudes Love Them Some Blonds

It is common knowledge that Middle Eastern men love blonds. 24 does a nice job of reminding us of this fact by having President Hassan show more than professional feelings toward the blond reporter chick who is framed as the breach in Hassan's security. Yup, Middle Eastern men can't get enough of blond chicks. Goldie Hawn proved this over 20 years ago in the movie Protocol, in which she is given to a Middle Eastern sheik by the State Department to secure the construction of a U.S. military base in the sheik's country. It was the 80's people. Movies like that made sense.

Ultra Modern Government Buildings

Only in the world of Hollywood does the government have ultra modern offices. The CTU headquarters looks like the glass Apple Store in New York. Real life government buildings are not that cool. They look like this. The CTU headquarters look as if they were designed by I.M. Pei for the Norwegian administrative offices of cultural affairs.

Super Advanced Government Technology

This is a staple of 24. In the past we have seen great use of emerging technology such as gps phones before they became common place. Last night we got to see some kick I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. facial recognition software that clearly beats the snot out of anything your Facebook account gives you access to. By season's end I expect Jack to don an exoskeleton military suit like the one used by the fake Marines in Avatar. By the way, that suit looks strikingly similar to the power loader from Aliens.

Innocent Suburban Couple Dragged Into Conspiracy Plot

Every season some innocent suburban looking folks are forced to take part in the day's events. Last year it was the suburban mom with the baby that Jack and Renee forced to assist them in finding out where her traitor husband was. This year it's a couple from Queens who are forced to assist bad guy Davros to infiltrate the UN security detail. This kind of story is always used because it feeds into people's sense of helplessness regarding major events. That or it has something to do with a suburban rape fantasy.

Jack Berating a Guy To Get Information/Kicking I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.

A mere 16 minutes into the show we saw Jack berate, with a gun mind you, the wounded Victor about who was behind the assassination attempt on President Hassan. That might be a new speed record for the show.

Also, Jack going full on The Shining on one of the assassins with an ax was hard core.

The Guy Who Hasn't Heard About Jack Bauer

CTU computer super freak Arlo (who the I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. names their kid Arlo?) asked who Jack Bauer was. Are you I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ing kidding me? You work at CTU and you have no idea who the most legendary CTU agent of all is? Hmm, I don't know, have you heard of President Palmer? Jack was involved in that. Remember when a nuclear bomb detonated outside of Los Angeles? Yeah, Jack was involved in that. Have you heard of the hostage situation at the White House last year? Jack too. Arlo, baby, you work for a government organization involved in some of the most significant moments in fake U.S. history and you have never heard of the most important man your agency has ever employed?

Drones in NYC?

Are there really drones patrolling the skies of NYC?

My Crazy Theory

Alright. I'm throwing this one into the oven and let's see if it bakes. I think that President Hassan might be the most ingenious, diabolical suicide bomber in history. I think he's in on the assassination plot and will willingly allow himself to be killed thus making him a martyr in the Islamic world. Hear me out. Hassan travels to America (yes I know he's at the UN which isn't considered America but that thing is in New York and that's Stars and Stripes territory) to conduct peace talks. He is murdered by someone who will eventually be tied to America. The Islamic world (the nut jobs at least) will say that they tried to make nice with the Americans and instead had one of their rising stars murdered. This will lead to new recruits joining Islamic terrorist groups. Some branch of the military-industrial complex is likely involved since a continuance of the war on terror means more government contracts to supply troops with equipment. These are the kind of theories one comes up with after seven seasons of 24. Also, President Hassan is played by the doucher game show host from Slumdog Millionaire who tried to sabotage poor Jamal by providing him with the wrong answer to a question. How does what happened in a fictional world transfer to another fictional world you might ask? It doesn't, so don't ask it and this theory will make more sense.

And his thoughts on Monday's episodes:

What happens when a great show decides to mess with a winning formula? It will either suck or remain great. Which one of these categories the current season of 24 falls into is yet to be seen, but there is one glaring change in the show that does not bode well for it unless it changes course at some point. I think you all know what I'm getting at. (Yeah I know you can't end a sentence with a preposition but this isn't English class so back off). Jack is not Jack. He's been replaced by Renee as the resident bad I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. willing to do whatever it takes to get information no matter the costs.

Renee As The New Jack

Where has Jack gone? He's still in the show but he's not the same Bauer that we've come to know. Sure he killed some guy with a fireman's ax in the first episode but we also saw him watching a polar bear show with his granddaughter. He backed down when confronted by the black basketball players on the court, was easily taken down by a cop's stun gun (although he did momentarily get revenge on that guy), and had to be convinced by Kim to help out CTU. This does not seem like the Jack of old. It is as if his capacity to bring the pain has been willfully sapped as in Superman II and Spiderman 3. And we know what happens when the hero purposely takes himself out of the action. You get sons of I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.es like these tearing I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. up.

Into this vacuum of badassery (not a real word) steps in Renee. Apparently she has gone completely batI'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. crazy since we last saw her as evidenced by her suicide wrist scars and willingness to slice off a chunk of a man's hand in order to gain crucial information. Jack, who in Season 2 had no problem hacking off a guy's hand, is appalled by Renee's actions and declares that the mission is over. I think we are going to have endure more of these scenes in which Jack is appalled by Renee's actions before Jack comes back to us and does not bode well for this season. Do you remember what happened in Superman II and Spiderman 3 when the heroes lost their powers? I do. The movies I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ing sucked during that period. But fear not for I believe there is hope. Just as Superman and Spiderman realized that they had to return to their old ways to secure the peace, so to will Jack revert to his former self to save the day. If it does not happen then we are in for a long season. Maybe Renee can pull of the Jack role but judging by the glazed stare she perpetually has, she seems to be one lost keys episode away from having the giant net guys called on her. In the meantime, we have familiar 24 storylines to numb the shock of seeing Jack be so un-Jack. We have a new Latin guy dating white chick story in Cole Ortiz/Dana Walsh ala Tony Almeida/Michelle; Chloe has a new tech guy to compete with as in previous seasons; there is a new skeptical boss running CTU; and minority bad guys guys being backed by Caucasian bad guys. This should keep us going till old Jack comes back.

Herc from The Wire/Entourage Appears!

Last night's episode featured the guy who played Herc in "The Wire" and the moocher friend from back East on "Entourage". This guy always plays tough guys and you just knew the minute he decided to go vigilante on Bauer that he was going to get his I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. handed to him in nicely wrapped deli paper by Jack. Number 46 is up! What exactly was his train of thought when he decided to beat up Jack? Why did the Asian cop let it go on as long as it did? His career was jeopardized the minute he walked up those basement stairs. The Asian cop came through in the end though and assisted Jack in getting to the U.N. Asian cop will surely die now for being a hero.

Dana Walsh Needs a Drink Pronto

Could Dana Walsh be the most stressed out character in television history? Not only does she have to deal with the attempt on President Hassan's life but she has to deal with her deranged ex who not only has dirt on her but wants to crash at her place and you just know he's going to eat all the cereal and leave an empty milk carton in the refrigerator. And what exactly is it that he has on Dana and how is it that CTU did not discover her shady past when they were conducting her background check? Government agencies, particularly one like CTU, have an extensive vetting process to weed out individuals who could be blackmailed and compromise their ability to perform for the government. I have a friend who has applied to the ATF and DEA. He applied one year ago. The background check is still going on. No way does CTU not find out what her past is and lets her join CTU.

No Legal Representation for Terry the Reporter

What's the deal with Terry being denied legal representation? CTU director Hastings stated that they could hold her for 18 hours without letting her speak to an attorney. Ok, I'm with you so far. Does that mean that the government can proceed to interrogate someone against their will while strapped to fancy lie detector machines? The 18 hour window seems arbitrary and sounds like something that could happen in England against American citizens and enforced by a bobby mocking Americans with a tiny stuffed bald eagle. I don't trust any country that has a royal family because the notion of inherited positions is not legitimate in my opinion. Didn't we fight a war against that? I digress.

I Can't Get Over Freddie Prince Jr.

Freddie Prince Jr. Any guy whose name is Prince and is not the actual Prince is a douche. Every time I see this guy I can't help thinking about all the teenage movies he made earlier in his career. I half expect Rachel Leigh Cook to bust in any second and begin bashing the CTU break room with a frying pan while ranting about our brains being on drugs.

Eastern Promises

Did anyone feel like they were watching "Eastern Promises" last night? Assassin with a bunch of tattoos indicating his association with the Russian mafia? Check. Undercover agent infiltrating Russian mob? Check. Russian mafia boss hanging out in ornate restaurant ? Check.

Beerfest

The Russian mob boss is played by the grandpapa from "Beerfest". He was also in "Dune" for you guys that remember that far back. In Beerfest he had no problem killing spectator number one for calling him a I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. and I'm sure he will not hesitate to kill in the world of 24. We've already seen that he doesn't give a I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. about his son being exposed to weapons grade uranium.

Restart Negotiations aka Let's Become Sitting Ducks Again!

Why exactly does President Hassan agree to restart negotiations with our President at the U.N.? Why does our President propose to restart talks at the U.N? Does this make any sense? Two heads of state are going to return to the scene of an assassination attempt minutes after the attempt? In the world of 24, the people in charge of security are massively incompetent. If negotiations must be restarted, then why not go to a secure location or perhaps conduct them via video link? This is 2010 isn't it? I believe such technology exists. In fact I'm sure of it. I'm staring at it right now.

Tons of Love

There seems to be an insane amount of unrequited love going on this season. We have Jack and Renee. Dana and her ex; Dana and the computer guy at CTU; Dana and Cole. Hassan and Terry. Someone is going to have to get laid soon or we are going to have a full blown anxiety epidemic on our hands.