View Poll Results: Which will be the Top 5 movies of the winter!

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Flight

4 10.00%
  • Wreck-it Ralph

24 60.00%
  • Skyfall

36 90.00%
  • Lincoln

9 22.50%
  • Twilight: BD II

35 87.50%
  • Silver Linings Playbook

1 2.50%
  • Life of Pi

4 10.00%
  • Rise of the Guardians

10 25.00%
  • The Hobbit: Pt 1

39 97.50%
  • Jack Reacher

5 12.50%
  • This is 40

0 0%
  • Zero Dark Thirty

2 5.00%
  • Django Unchained

8 20.00%
  • Les Miserables

9 22.50%
  • Other (post your pick)

1 2.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Jason do you think a running time of 2 hours 20 minutes hurts This is 40? It is being billed as a romantic comedy and that genre is never longer than 100 minutes. Does an Apatow directed movie still have the box office clout that it did 4-5 years ago?
    Knocked Up is listed as 2hrs 9 minutes. Bridesmaids was 2+5. 40-YO Virgin, Superbad, and Pineapple Express were a few minutes shy of 2 hours.

I think they were all pretty successful comedies, romantic or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Knocked Up is listed as 2hrs 9 minutes. Bridesmaids was 2+5. 40-YO Virgin, Superbad, and Pineapple Express were a few minutes shy of 2 hours.

I think they were all pretty successful comedies, romantic or otherwise.
    All of those came out in the late spring or summer. Although it is a Judd Apatow movie its tone is more Funny People than Knocked Up. Funny People did $51 million at the box office and had a run time of 2hrs 26 minutes. I think This is 40 does better because grown up movies do better in the winter than they do in the summer which is when Funny People was released.

Well, my 5th movie selection was Rise of the the Guardians. It was a tough call for me...I went with a 2nd kids movie. That will be the reason I lost. I WISH I had gone with my first gut choice for #5, which was Les Miserables. Every preview I see of that is amazing. The fan base for that musical is huge. People are going to go see it several times. It's going to be #5. I think there's a good chance that Zero Dark Thirty will be #6.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    I WISH I had gone with my first gut choice for #5, which was Les Miserables. Every preview I see of that is amazing. The fan base for that musical is huge. People are going to go see it several times. It's going to be #5.
    Having a huge fan base didn't help when they made Les Miz into a movie last time, in 1998. That version also had a huge cast (at the time) of Liam Neeson, Uma Thurman, Geoffry Rush, and Claire Danes. It made all of $14 million at the boxoffice.

But, I think you are right that it has a real chance to be #5 in our contest. I think Zero Dark Thirty is a bit of a longer shot.

As an aside, I am starting to think film #5 may only need to make $120 mil or so, far less than the $150 we usually project. I think it is very possible that Lincoln, Django, and Les Miz all end up between $110 mil and $125 mil giving us a real dog fight for spot #5.

-Jason "I am hearing that This is 40 is going to be more Funny People ($50 mil) than Knocked Up ($150 mil)" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Uh-oh... the early Les Miz reviews are not all that good. Currently at 63% on RT with 12 fresh and 7 rotten reviews. That is not good.

The Hobbit, which I saw and will post a review in a day or two, is at 72% -- 21 fresh, 8 rotten.

-Jason "reviews for Django should start coming in over the weekend as it was screened to a lot of critics today" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Early reviews of Django are in and, well, they're absolutely spectacular. Will this mean box office gold? Not sure. The film's long, as Jason has noted. And one of the consistent raves in the reviews is that it's Tarantino violence at it's most violent, which isn't for everybody.

But the reviews do indicated that this is a crowd-pleaser film, giving the audience the same kind of payoff that Inglourious Basterds delivered. I suspect people who don't like Tarantino's films because of the violence will stay away, those that like his films because of the dialogue and violence will love it. Whether or not glowing reviews and word of mouth will attract enough non-Tarantino fans or enough repeat business to overcome the long running time and outperform what Tarantino has historically done is probably the biggest question.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Early reviews of Django are in and, well, they're absolutely spectacular. Will this mean box office gold? Not sure. The film's long, as Jason has noted. And one of the consistent raves in the reviews is that it's Tarantino violence at it's most violent, which isn't for everybody.

But the reviews do indicated that this is a crowd-pleaser film, giving the audience the same kind of payoff that Inglourious Basterds delivered. I suspect people who don't like Tarantino's films because of the violence will stay away, those that like his films because of the dialogue and violence will love it. Whether or not glowing reviews and word of mouth will attract enough non-Tarantino fans or enough repeat business to overcome the long running time and outperform what Tarantino has historically done is probably the biggest question.
    It is worth noting that Basterds also got great reviews (88% on RT and Academy Award nominations). It even had a pretty good late summer release date. It did $120 million. Basterds also had a "Hitler and the Nazis were bad guys" theme which probably goes over better with middle America than "White people who owned slaves were bad guys." On the other hand, "Black revenge" will sell better than "Jewish revenge" in the big cities.

Django has a shot to be a big hit and make our Top 5.

-Jason "I think Zero Dark Thirty is out as a contender... it now looks like it won't move outside the NY/LA market until the 2nd week of January" Evans

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    So it looks like the standings (of the films that have a chance) is as follows.
    Numbers are from RT.

Twilight - $276.8M (released 5 weeks)
    Skyfall - $271.9M (released 6 weeks)
    (A note of curiosity, Brave..one of our summer winners, falls into this slot with $237.2M, so it was outperformed by 2 winter movies.)
    Wreck It Ralph - $168.7M (released 7 weeks)
    Lincoln - $107.7M (released 5 weeks)
    The Hobbit - $84.6M (released 1 week)

Anybody else that has not been released doesn't have a chance. It will be interesting to see if Django or one of the others has enough time to make a play at Lincoln. IF I had to choose one, Django would be it, I don't think the others will have enough broad appeal to make it happen.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

The Hobbit did $36 million to win the weekend fairly easily. It was a fairly stiff 56% drop from its opening weekend, but who cares? This film is at almost $150 million after 2 weekends and will easily be in our Top 5.

New films Jack Reacher ($15.6 mil) and This is 40 ($12 mil) came in 2nd and 3rd this weekend but neither of them are even remote contenders in our contest. It is hard to see either of them making even $100 million in domestic boxoffice.

At this point, we are waiting to see what the Christmas movies bring, especially Django and Les Mis. Right now, the Top 5 are:

1. Breaking Dawn II - $281.6 mil
    2. Skyfall - $279.9 mil
    3. Wreck-it Ralph - $179.9 mil
    4. Hobbit - $159.6 mil
    5. Lincoln - $116.7 mil
    6. Flight - $90.9 mil
    7. Rise of Guardians - $79.6 mil
    8. Life of Pi - $76.1 mil

The top 4 are locks. We await film #5 between Django, Les Mis, and Lincoln.

-Jason "so, who has a shot at going 5-for-5 at this point?" Evans

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

-Jason "so, who has a shot at going 5-for-5 at this point?" Evans
    Four of us chose Lincoln and WIR, 3 of us chose Django and WIR .Assuming that we all chose the obvious top 3 I would say that's where the winner(s) will come from.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Four of us chose Lincoln and WIR, 3 of us chose Django and WIR .Assuming that we all chose the obvious top 3 I would say that's where the winner(s) will come from.
    Also, 3 people chose WIR and Les Mis. I really can't see anything other than Lincoln, Django, or Les Mis being #5 so we are going to have multiple folks go 5-for-5.

-Jason "best picking season ever -- but Winter is always easier than summer!" Evan

Awww man, so if Les Mis gets to 5th I have to share my victory with murpho and ncexnyc? Boo!

Here I was willing to go see it 25,000,000 times just to guarantee a nice 5-for-5 finish, but that hardly seems worth it anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    Awww man, so if Les Mis gets to 5th I have to share my victory with murpho and ncexnyc? Boo!

Here I was willing to go see it 25,000,000 times just to guarantee a nice 5-for-5 finish, but that hardly seems worth it anymore...
    At $10/ticket, you probably would only need to see it about 15-million times to get it into the Top 5. Bargain!!

-Jason

Looks like you may not need to buy all those tickets. I am hearing buzz that Les Mis is going to have a very big opening. Lots of people who never go see movies are eager to see this film. There is talks this is going to be the biggest Christmas Day film ever, passing Sherlock Holmes which made $24.6 mil in 2009.

-Jason "I am somewhat skeptical, but the buzz is getting loud!" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Looks like you may not need to buy all those tickets. I am hearing buzz that Les Mis is going to have a very big opening. Lots of people who never go see movies are eager to see this film. There is talks this is going to be the biggest Christmas Day film ever, passing Sherlock Holmes which made $24.6 mil in 2009.

-Jason "I am somewhat skeptical, but the buzz is getting loud!" Evans
    Well, I can confirm the buzz.

Eight of twelve (I'm in the minority) of our usual Christmas crew have insisted on going to see Les Mis tomorrow on Christmas day. We have never been to the movies on Christmas before.

I'm glad that I will not be going. Too crazy for me!

c'mon Le Mis

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post

No interest in this one at all but figured it for 5th. C'mon 5 for 5!

I was curious to see how much the last musical that I liked did at the box office. "Chicago" opened on the 27th of 2002 and took in $170mil. Not much to compare between the two other than they are both musicals opening at Christmas, but the precedent is there for a musical to do well.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I was curious to see how much the last musical that I liked did at the box office. "Chicago" opened on the 27th of 2002 and took in $170mil. Not much to compare between the two other than they are both musicals opening at Christmas, but the precedent is there for a musical to do well.
    CBB, I agree with your opinion of Chicago, and I'm also looking forward to Les Mis. Mrs. Jarhead and I really enjoyed Chicago all four times we saw it on stage, in Raleigh, New York, Las Vegas and the West End in London. When it came out in film we were among the first to see it. Catherine Zeta‑Jones was sensational, as was the movie. We are hopeful that Les Miserables proves to be as good. We saw that in London, also, but the trailers posted here have convinced me that the music, at least, will be over whelming. We are easy to please, so we may not be the best of critics. We saw South Pacific in theater-in-the-round at a dinner theater in Alexandria back when we lived in Northern Virginia. We loved it, and went back the same week, but not because we loved the food. They had a very colorful sheet that protected the shower, but it also was used to portray the view of Bali Hai in another scene.

Christmas Day boxoffice

As I had alluded to earlier, Les Mis had a record-breaking opening day on Christmas. The numbers are not final yet, but early estimates are that Les Mis did $18 mil, a new Christmas Day record. It got an "A" Cinemascore, ensuring that audiences will be saying good things about it and perhaps indicating potential for repeat business.

Django Unchained appears to have done $15.5 mil, which is a HUGE number on Christmas Day for an R-Rated film that clearly cannot bring in a family audience. It got an "A-" Cinemascore, which is very high for a film with lots of violence and "N-words."

Both Les Mis and Django far outperformed what Hollywood had expected just a week or so ago.

The Hobbit did $10.8 mil and the new Billy Crystal/Bette Midler comedy Parental Guidance did $7 mil (saw this movie about a week ago... it wasn't that bad -- really predictable, but I did laugh several times).

--Jason "now we need to see how these new flicks do over the weekend" Evans

The Hobbit still rules Hollywood, but Django got better than expected numbers and women are the reason why. Interesting facts here...
    "Django" is doing better than expected in part because it is connecting with female moviegoers. Women made up 46 percent of the weekend audiences, a surprisingly high number given the film's violent subject matter and the fact that it's up against "Les Miz,' which skews very much female and played to audiences that were 67 percent women this weekend.
    "Quentin Tarantino brings a broad audience," David Glasser, the Weinstein Company's chief operating officer, told TheWrap on Sunday, "but we've made a concerted effort to reach out to women with some of our TV spots and it worked."
    http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=782457