Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Rivers to Wear Number 0

according to TheDevilsDen...First to do so under Coach K. Cook is taking Nolan's #2, while Murphy is getting Kyle's former number, 12. Gbinije with the lucky 13 and MP3 going with 40.

Austin wanting 0 "it's a fresh start"
    http://twitter.com/#!/TheDevilsDen

Sorry, couldn't find a previous thread this would fit in, so started a new one. I don't think I've seen these numbers mentioned on here at least. It was said a while back that Austin wanted 0.

So, if Kyle's number is taken already, does that mean he'd have to wait a minimum of four years to get it retired? That doesn't sound right. Maybe it just means Murph might have to change his number mid-career...Or is he allowed to finish it out if Kyle's number goes to the rafters?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    according to TheDevilsDen...First to do so under Coach K. Cook is taking Nolan's #2, while Murphy is getting Kyle's former number, 12. Gbinije with the lucky 13 and MP3 going with 40.

Sorry, couldn't find a previous thread this would fit in, so started a new one. I don't think I've seen these numbers mentioned on here at least. It was said a while back that Austin wanted 0.

So, if Kyle's number is taken already, does that mean he'd have to wait a minimum of four years to get it retired? That doesn't sound right. Maybe it just means Murph might have to change his number mid-career...Or is he allowed to finish it out if Kyle's number goes to the rafters?
    If Murphy is taking 12, that's huge news. I don't think anyone has played for Coach K, not gotten his number retired immediately and had it retired later on. The only guys who had their numbers retired at a later date were Heyman and Mullins, who both played during a time when numbers weren't retired.

As for Rivers, it makes sense. If Coach K was going to alter his stance for Kyrie to take 1, I don't see why he would soften his position on 0 for Rivers.

I think it is cool that Cook is wearing Nolan's #2, but...isn't #12 supposed to be gone? #0 for Austin is a good move for him. Who is the last Duke player to even wear # 40?

Interesting--it seems especially fitting that Cook will wear Smith's number as they are close friends, and I have read that Nolan has given Quinn a lot of mentoring/support since Quinn's dad died, as Quinn's dad and others (including Johnny Dawkins, of course) did for Nolan.

I don't know the answer to your question about jersey retirement, but I hope someone does--it's a very good question.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
    Who is the last Duke player to even wear # 40?
    Griffin Tormey. Ross Perkins and Andy Borman before that.

I hope I don't get blasted for saying this, but I don't think Kyle deserves to have his jersey retired. I'm as big a fan of his as any, and will always remember him as one of the toughest guys to play for Duke. He was an exceptional player for four years in an era when so many guys leave early, his name is on the list of many Duke records, and he'll always be a national champion. But there are only so many jerseys that can be retired, and if you were to ask if I consider him to be among the top, say, 15 guys to ever play for Duke, I would have to say no. I don't believe he was ever a National Player of the Year among any of the major awards, and you could argue that he was never even the best player on his team. Still love the guy.

This strikes me as a thread about nothing.

Griffin Tormey. Ross Perkins and Andy Borman before that.
    Wow, my guess was Taymon Domzalski, who didn't even wear 40 the whole time.

Good news: my number 2 and number 12 jerseys I bought last year can still be worn. Yay for already having a Quinn and Alex jersey!
    Bad news: Probably won't get see a jersey retirement happen in my years ...eh I'll get over it.

The real question is, when will #0 jerseys be available in the Duke store?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I don't believe he was ever a National Player of the Year among any of the major awards, and you could argue that he was never even the best player on his team.
    You could also argue that he was the best player on every Duke team he ever played on (if you just look at careers). If you want to talk about who had the best season... then you could very easily argue that he had the best season 2 of his 4 years (Soph and Junior). I think the clearest was his sophomore year. I don't think Gerald did nearly as much as Kyle. Junior year it's pretty much a toss-up for me between Scheyer and Singler (with Nolan a close 3rd).

What it means is that neither 2 nor 12 will be retired for Nolan nor Kyle. That debate is now over. A few years ago, when Mullin's jersey number was retired, I believe that it was being worn by either Abelnabi or Parks (CRS disease sucks), and they were allowed to continue to wear it for the rest of their career.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

yes yes yes! i love all of these choices! 40 is totally underused as ross and griffin never saw enough pt for my liking, and while it was cute for the wear twins to have symmetrical jersey numbers (34 and 43) i appreciate that the plumbers are going with three unrelated but strong jersey number choices, although this will be the second straight season without a 42. picking 12 shows onions especially since were talking about three of the greatest dukes of all time (kyle, jordan and coach steve). cook taking nolan's number is also a great testament to their relationship. the crown jewel here is obviously austin taking the big 0. personally i prefer 00, but i'll take this. baby doc is clearly trying to establish his own identity quickly. my only question: will the next top recruit duke lands ask for -1?

Cherokee wore #44 when it was retired for Mullins, and as I recall did continue to wear it. Abdelnaby had long since left and wore #30 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    What it means is that neither 2 nor 12 will be retired for Nolan nor Kyle. That debate is now over. A few years ago, when Mullin's jersey number was retired, I believe that it was being worn by either Abelnabi or Parks (CRS disease sucks), and they were allowed to continue to wear it for the rest of their career.
    That means that the 2010 Championship team will unlikely have a player with a retired jersey. So it would be the first Duke Men's NCAA bball championship team without at least one retired jersey. Interesting.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Talking Jeff and Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Cherokee wore #44 when it was retired for Mullins, and as I recall did continue to wear it. Abdelnaby had long since left and wore #30 anyway.
    Jeff's jersey was retired IIRC Cherokee's senior year. At his jersey ceremony, the personable Jeff said something like, "Cherokee still has a lot of playing to do in #44."

sagegrouse

i forgot to give mad props to silent g for picking 13, another ballsy choice. although he we a fan favorite, lee melchionni never pulled 13 off to my satisfaction. it takes a true baller to 'make it work,' as tim gunn would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    That means that the 2010 Championship team will unlikely have a player with a retired jersey. So it would be the first Duke Men's NCAA bball championship team without at least one retired jersey. Interesting.
    Of course the team has a really nice banner hanging. Which in the end, was the beauty of the 2010 group.

I love Kyle, Nolan, Jon, Zoubs, Lance, and the rest -- they will always be special players for our program.

(Of course, if 'Dre, Miles or Mason get their jersey retired we would have someone from that team -- but I know what you mean).

Quote Originally Posted by NovaScotian View Post
    picking 12 shows onions especially since were talking about three of the greatest dukes of all time (kyle, jordan and coach steve).
    Jordan who?
    And when talking about #12, you can't leave out David Henderson.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Jordan who?
    Not to hijack, but what's Hendu up to these days since leaving Delaware?

One of my all-time favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Jordan who?
    my b leaving out henderson. jordan is (of course) the younger davidson brother who switched to 41 his junior year to honor the memory of his older bro, noted summer league all star patrick.

Ah, LOVE them! Love Quinn wearing Nolan's jersey... and Murph wearing Kyle's is fantastic. Honestly, I don't think that is necessarily the end of the idea of retiring Kyle's number at all. Oh, and #0? Nice