Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

MBB: FSU 66, Duke 61 Post Game Thread

A road loss to a good team isn't the end of the world, but this is 2006 without Kyrie. It's scary how similar they are.

1. Redick = Smith
    2. Williams = Singler
    3. McRoberts = Mason (Both -edited- McDonald's AA)
    4. Nelson = Dawkins (both 1 dimensional in what they do offensively)
    5. Paulus = Curry (both good shooters, good hoops IQ, can't sniff a drive)

Again not the end of the world, but could see a Sweet 16 exit against a team just like this and just like LSU.
    Last edited by SupaDave; 01-12-2011 at 11:51 PM.

MBB: FSU 66, Duke 61 Post Game Thread

Discuss the game here. Please remain calm folks, the sun will rise tomorrow.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by BleedsP287 View Post
    Hats off to FSU. We got outplayed and outcoached tonight.
    ACC coaches with any length of tenure typically outcoach K when the talent doesn't match up.

All it takes to beat Duke is an above average D, 1 or 2 big men who rebound and a few variables.

FSU just followed the formula. Their extra variables were a poor Duke shooting night and a career game from Kitchen.

It's not like we've not seem this same exact script play out in the majority of Duke losses in the past, ESPECIALLY in conference.

Very very similar to 2006, and not because of personel. but because of how 2 guys relied on so heavily. i see duke as a sweet 16 team this year without kyrie. final four lock and most likely NC's with Kyrie. period

We had an inside game in 2006. We need one badly here in 2011.

I wouldn't necessary go that far...but if Duke continues to depend on the three, there will be more losses to come.

Let the sky is falling talk commence. I will be back on Saturday for the Virginia post game thread. Everyone enjoy discussing how this team will now lose 10 games and be lucky to get a tourney bid.

As Dick Vitale said, "No post presence at all."
    Anybody know how to contact Tyler Adams?

Quote Originally Posted by dcdrumsinc View Post
    Very very similar to 2006, and not because of personel. but because of how 2 guys relied on so heavily. i see duke as a sweet 16 team this year without kyrie. final four lock and most likely NC's with Kyrie. period
    It's sad AND a true testament to recruiting when a single player is the obvious difference between a "good" team and a "great" one.

Well, at least we probably got Leonard Hamilton another contract extension...

The Plumlees need a lot of work or need to be benched in favor of Josh Hairston. The rest of the team just had an off night.

Not a lot to say. This was the game that finally made it clear just how much we miss Kyrie. All our offensive deficiencies came glaring through. Without a solid PG that can break teams down and get to the basket we really shouldn't expect only one or two losses. We are going to lose a few more. It just is what it is.

Nolan

I think Nolan needs to go back to the basics a bit and rethink how to run this team. His points were/are great, but he needs to make sure to get everyone involved, or yes, I think this team could turn into a "Watch Noland and Kyle" type of team.

I think Nolan will adjust his game somewhat and look to be more opportunistic with the pass. I think this is a great wake-up call though. Better to be happening in January than in March.

Dawkins was getting killed all night by Kitchen. The Plumlees did not show up and our three point shooting for two-thirds of the game was just terrible. We settled for all jump shots and when the do not fall you lose to an inferior team like FSU. Too many turnovers by Smith and Curry and that is a losing formula.

Great second half from Singler tonight.

I feel very bad for Virgina on Saturday.
    The Terrapin Assassin

That was about par for the course. Given the utter lack of inside presence, this team will not be able to shoot this poorly (and this frequently) from 3 and still manage to win.

Predictions:

We will still win the ACC regular season.

We will make the final game of the ACC tournament (final game is a coin flip).

We will make it to the second weekend of the NCAA tournament (making the Final Four is possible but unlikely).

Unless either of the following happens:

1) Kyrie comes back at 100% full strength and effectiveness, in which case our perimeter advantage could become so overwhelming that our inside deficiencies might not matter.

2) One of the Plumlees has a Zoubek moment and suddenly becomes a good basketball player (extremely unlikely in my view, but I didn't see Zoub's transformation coming so I have to admit it's at least possible).

this was almost predictable. we have not been shooting well, with singular exceptions, and tonight we could not get the defensive job done.

i am confident we will return to more comfortable levels.

FSU has Duke's #, that's all there is to it. Duke came out like they didn't care about the game, but FSU was on fire. Duke's mistake was to let FSU shoot the ball pretty well early and get the confidence off that. Singler came alive in the 2nd half but he was a zombie in the first half. I was not impressed by anyone's performance, outside of Kyle's 2nd half.
    Take the loss, learn the lessons and move on.

They didn't have 1 last year to be honest. Zoubs was an offensive rebounder. What they did have was 3rd cog in Scheyer. This team has more offensive potential than 2006, but Shelden cancels that out on the D out. It's 2006 part 2 unless that toe heals up.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Let the sky is falling talk commence. I will be back on Saturday for the Virginia post game thread. Everyone enjoy discussing how this team will now lose 10 games and be lucky to get a tourney bid.
    Very well said...people the world is not coming to an end. Michael Jordan nor Dean Smith nor Roy Williams are President...the recession is over...and we still have a very good team which will win plenty more games...

Duke will be fine. This will be a learning tool to take into the next practice and games to come. We need to get Mason more looks.