Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 NBA Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    I was thinking that too, with Barnes. It seems logical as an MJ pick in terms of potential for unintentional hilarity. I think it helps Jordan's cause, though, to have Rich Cho apparently with at least some influence. He was responsible for Biyombo last year, I believe, which could very well work out okay. If the Bobcats end up with Kidd-Gilchrist or Beal, or perhaps Robinson, either Jordan has made a rare solid pick, or he's taken a proverbial back seat and is rubber-stamping Cho's informed selections.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I'd also love to see Jordan and the Bobcats crash and burn (as if they haven't already).

Realistically, I don't think there is a chance in the world that the team could be so stupid to use the pick on Barnes. Although that would be ideal.

My realistic hope is that they use the pick on Drummond, a classic underachiever. Yeah, he has great potential, but I have my doubts that he ever achieves it.

My biggest hope is that they don't take Michael Kidd Gilchrist. I LOVE that kid. Obviously, everybody is a gamble (even Davis at No. 1), but I think MKG has all-star potential and all-star character. I hated the fact that he played for such a seazy program, but I love the kid.

Just hope he doesn't wind up on my least-favorite NBA team.
    MKG is the consensus pick here. He's at worst a. All-NBA defender and glue guy at the 3. He's at best a 10 time All-star who picks up a consistent outside shot sooner rather than later. They have Gerald at the 2, so they wont be picking Beal and they have Biyombo at the 4 so they dont need Thomas Robinson. Their biggest needs are at the 1, 3 and 5. They are not reaching for Drummond (I hope) or a PG at #2, so MKG is the pick. Barnes is a full step below MKG in the food chain.

I'd also love to see Jordan and the Bobcats crash and burn (as if they haven't already).
    I'd like to see Gerald succeed though.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    MKG is the consensus pick here. He's at worst a. All-NBA defender and glue guy at the 3. He's at best a 10 time All-star who picks up a consistent outside shot sooner rather than later. They have Gerald at the 2, so they wont be picking Beal and they have Biyombo at the 4 so they dont need Thomas Robinson. Their biggest needs are at the 1, 3 and 5. They are not reaching for Drummond (I hope) or a PG at #2, so MKG is the pick. Barnes is a full step below MKG in the food chain.
    I think when a team is the worst in NBA history, no player they have is an impediment for getting a potentially better player. As such, I could see them drafting either Beal or Robinson. I'd think Cho would keep them away from Drummond, who I think will be a horrific bust, but we'll see. I think they'll take Kidd-Gilchrist, or potentially Beal, but probably Kidd-Gilchrist.

I think when a team is the worst in NBA history, no player they have is an impediment for getting a potentially better player. As such, I could see them drafting either Beal or Robinson. I'd think Cho would keep them away from Drummond, who I think will be a horrific bust, but we'll see. I think they'll take Kidd-Gilchrist, or potentially Beal, but probably Kidd-Gilchrist.
    What's the point in taking Beal when you have Henderson though? Henderson is young and getting better. Maggette and the other 3's on the roster are not, so I'd shore up the 3.

I think Charlotte mostly needs to stop making trades. They get taken on every trade. Just keep stockpiling young, talented players and wait for the payoff, a la OKC and Minny.

I don't think Biyombo is an impediment to drafting Robinson. Biyombo is just too limited offensively, and is probably best suited to be a #3 big man (backing up both PF and C). As such, I could see them taking Robinson at #2. I agree that Henderson and Beal can't coexist. But Beal projects to be better than Henderson. So worst case you draft Beal and trade Henderson. But I would expect the choice to be either Kidd-Gilchrist or Robinson, because Beal introduces too much complication in terms of trading assets.

Quote Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post
    He has been in the 13-14 range for quite some time. Most drafts have him going to the Suns. Do players in the combine do pre-combine workouts?
    I don't know about "most" mock drafts having Rivers going to the Suns. There may be a mock or two that has that, but all the mocks I've seen have Rivers going anywhere from 8 to 23. Chad Ford has him pegged at 18 to the T-Wolves.

What's the point in taking Beal when you have Henderson though? Henderson is young and getting better. Maggette and the other 3's on the roster are not, so I'd shore up the 3.

I think Charlotte mostly needs to stop making trades. They get taken on every trade. Just keep stockpiling young, talented players and wait for the payoff, a la OKC and Minny.
    If you think Beal is the best player available, you take Beal rather than someone you're not sold on at another position. Gerald's definitely made some strides, especially in the scoring department, but we're not exactly talking about Kobe Bryant here. Beal has All-Star potential right off the bat.

Since MKG will be available and would be my No. 2 pick regardless, I think it's all probably irrelevant. But Beal wouldn't stun me, is all.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I don't think Biyombo is an impediment to drafting Robinson. Biyombo is just too limited offensively, and is probably best suited to be a #3 big man (backing up both PF and C). As such, I could see them taking Robinson at #2. I agree that Henderson and Beal can't coexist. But Beal projects to be better than Henderson. So worst case you draft Beal and trade Henderson. But I would expect the choice to be either Kidd-Gilchrist or Robinson, because Beal introduces too much complication in terms of trading assets.
    This is true, Biyombo played primarily at center.

Realistically, I don't think there is a chance in the world that the team could be so stupid to use the pick on Barnes. Although that would be ideal.
    Anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    I'll see your Kwame and raise you Adam Morrison.

When you're as bad as the Bobcats, you don't worry about what you have and focus on what you can get. If you think Beal is a superstar, Henderson should not be in the way. You then trade Henderson. The Blazers made the mistake of drafting Sam Bowie instead of taking Michael Jordan because they already had a good young SG. Had they drafted Jordan instead they'd have had arguably the best SG/SF combo in NBA history in Jordan/Drexler.

I doubt they'll take Beal because Robinson or Kidd-Gilchrist create less headache. But Henderson is very tradeable if they decide that Beal is the guy they want to build around.

I don't personally believe in the "best player available regardless of position" line of reasoning. I mean if a guy is head and shoulders above everyone else then yes you pick him no matter what, but I don't see Beal being that kind of talent. Right now Henderson is one of the few bright spots on the team, so why would you throw that away in order to draft someone who MIGHT turn out to be as good as him? Wouldn't it make more sense to address your team's other needs?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I don't personally believe in the "best player available regardless of position" line of reasoning. I mean if a guy is head and shoulders above everyone else then yes you pick him no matter what, but I don't see Beal being that kind of talent. Right now Henderson is one of the few bright spots on the team, so why would you throw that away in order to draft someone who MIGHT turn out to be as good as him? Wouldn't it make more sense to address your team's other needs?
    Sure. And that's probably why they won't take Beal (among other reasons). But if the Bobcats view Beal as the most "can't miss" superstar of the draft at #2 then they should take him. Henderson can be traded. If you really like Beal and don't care for the others as much, you take Beal and trade for your SF or PF elsewhere.

Since I agree with you that Robinson and Kidd-Gilchrist are just as likely to be stars, it would make more sense (to me) for the Bobcats to take one of those two. Just saying that Henderson isn't stopping the Bobcats from taking Beal; the lack of clear superiority of Beal to the other lotto guys is what's stopping them from taking Beal.

It depends how you look at it. Beal has star potential, and I'm not convinced there are a whole lot of other teams Henderson would start for, especially considering he's a shooting guard who can't shoot threes. But I agree that he's still probably the best of this bunch, their forwards are dreadful, and Kidd-Gilchrist would be my pick regardless of any of that.

MKG, Beal, Robinson

I would imagine Charlotte would work out all these guys, and maybe even Drummond and Barnes too. They should just to do their due diligence (health issues or background). But I'd be shocked if anyone leapfrogs MKG. I think he's got a ton of potential and is one of the hardest working guys with elite talent I've seen in a while.

The cynic in me thinks Stern should grant them the 3rd, 4th and 5th picks in the draft as well if Michael Jordan agrees to stop making personnel decisions.

I think it might make the most sense to trade away Henderson to somewhere that he can be a solid starter or rotation player on a team that wins some games every once in awhile. If Beal forces the team to do that, I would be ok with it.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

It depends how you look at it. Beal has star potential, and I'm not convinced there are a whole lot of other teams Henderson would start for, especially considering he's a shooting guard who can't shoot threes. But I agree that he's still probably the best of this bunch, their forwards are dreadful, and Kidd-Gilchrist would be my pick regardless of any of that.
    Yeah, it's not like Henderson is some star that you are going to build around. While PER is a somewhat-flawed stat, Henderson ranked 31st in PER last year among SG. And by most other metrics, he'd fall in the 25-30 range among SG. He's a capable starter on a lottery-bound team, but on a playoff team he's probably a backup.

That said, I agree that MKG is the pick. He's safer than Beal (who I think will be better than Henderson) but he has big upside as well.

The cynic in me thinks Stern should grant them the 3rd, 4th and 5th picks in the draft as well if Michael Jordan agrees to stop making personnel decisions.
    With that many chances, I'd imagine even Jordan would accidentally get one right (see Khan).

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I think it might make the most sense to trade away Henderson to somewhere that he can be a solid starter or rotation player on a team that wins some games every once in awhile. If Beal forces the team to do that, I would be ok with it.
    Frankly, I don't think there would be much of a market. Everyone has talented shooting guards. Small forwards who like to float become shooting guards, point guards who don't quite have sufficient PG skills but can shoot become shooting guards.

Speaking as a Duke AND Cavalier Fan...

Being a die-hard Duke and Cavalier fan since the days of Price, Daughtery, Hot-Rod Williams, Larry Nance, and, wait for it...Craig Ehlo - I can state without a shadow of a doubt I DO NOT WANT HARRISON BARNES UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
    Harrison simply has a very low ceiling of potential. I think at best he could be a Sean Elliot (pretty darn good but not great).

My 1st choice is MKG(obviously), then Ross.

I truly believe TRoss is going to BLOW UP at the next level. He reminds me of a bigger Elliot Williams with a smoother stroke and handle. I think he has the potential to be "Wade-like".