Thread: 2011 Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Is that Telep's first article with ESPN? Sweet
    Well, that may be 1, but here's 1A also from today:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recru...ory?id=5686453

Quote Originally Posted by rotogod00 View Post
    Well, that may be 1, but here's 1A also from today:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recru...ory?id=5686453
    Amazing. ESPN bball recruiting just became another time-waster for me!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Well, Dunleavy Sr is 6'3" and his son is 6'10".

Doc is 6'4" and his son will be, well, you do the math
    How many cinder blocks?

Quinn Cook and Marshall Plumlee are playing at the Greensboro Coliseum today. Marshall at 3:30 and Quinn at 5. Go check them out if you can: http://www.dukehoopblog.com/2011/01/...in-greensboro/

2011 Junior National Select Team Announced

And both Quinn Cook and Austin Rivers, not surpisingly, made the team, which will compete against the World Select Team. Whole roster can be found here.

Congrats Austin and Quinn.

Shabazz Muhammed visit?

Sorry if I meissed it elsewhere, but anyone aware of how the Shabazz Muhammed visit went? Any other visitors (other than Austin) for the UVA game to report on?

Marshall Plumlee gets double-double in front of Coach K

With Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski in attendance, Blue Devil signee Marshall Plumlee scored 12 points and pulled down 12 rebounds in Christ School's 83-48 rout of Greensboro Day School at the MKL Classic in Greensboro, N.C.

- ESPN

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...age/onthetrail

Good for him, pretty good stat line for a blow-out win.

Quote Originally Posted by Krzyzewskiville View Post
    Marshall Plumlee gets double-double in front of Coach K

With Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski in attendance, Blue Devil signee Marshall Plumlee scored 12 points and pulled down 12 rebounds in Christ School's 83-48 rout of Greensboro Day School at the MKL Classic in Greensboro, N.C.

- ESPN

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...age/onthetrail

Good for him, pretty good stat line for a blow-out win.
    Hmm. Do you think that we should tell ESPN that it's MLK? It may be important to some.

As his brothers two can attest he won't be playing little Johnny's private school next year. As Coach Cut puts it, "It's time to big boy up".

Fwiw, in ESPN's updated rankings, Rivers is still #1 (with Anthony Davis apparently charging hard), Gbinije is 28, Plumlee is 37, and Cook is 39 (a drop of 15 or so spots).

Fwiw, in ESPN's updated rankings, Rivers is still #1 (with Anthony Davis apparently charging hard), Gbinije is 28, Plumlee is 37, and Cook is 39 (a drop of 15 or so spots).
    Oh, and on the heels of their 9th commitment the other day, St. John's has pushed Duke down a spot to the #3 class

That seems about right to me. Cook hasn't been at 100% since hurting his knee and really hasn't been the same since the summer. If he gets back to 100% by the spring, I would expect him to move back to where he was at borderline 5-star status in the final rankings.

rsci

Final 2011 rsci rankings posted a few days ago on that site.

http://www.rscihoops.com/

It's the summer-slows, so it struck me that there's stuff to ponder in this composite ranking. Especially intriguing to me is the "change" column. [Change is from Sept 2010 composite rankings to this final, June 2011, composite.]

Khem Birch [to Pitt] - I commented in some earlier thread that I was impressed with his play in some all-star game, and wondered why he hadn't gotten a bit more PT in that game. Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks he's talented. Change of +39, pretty dramatic.

Tony Wroten [Washington] - I was mightily impressed with his passing in a couple of A-S games, and would push him even higher than his #18/chg +7. I wonder whether he's "only" #18 because he's "only" going to UW, rather than to Duke, UNC, UK, KU.

James McAdoo - Alas, UNC has a veritable, if understated, star arising in JMcA. I'd put him at #2, behind only Anthony Davis. As I noted in some other thread, JMcA's rep is as a guy with whom everyone [well, at least those on his own team] enjoys playing. It is said that "he allows the game to come to him." Fair enough, but it's in his neighborhood a whole lot. A winner, great kid. Still, and of course, 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F 9F.

AR - I wonder whether the gurus would, compositely, have him a bit lower these days. One might at least infer that from various AR threads/comments on DBR and elsewhere. Still top 5-6 probably, but #2?

P.J. Hairston - Seems a little high to have him at #11, but maybe I'm simply thinking how much better is McAdoo.

Dorian Finney-Smith [VaT] - Another significant jump, +14, to #22. I know VaT has some injured guys coming back, but F-S will presumably make some noise as a frosh.

Shannon Scott [tOSU] - #32 [Quinn Cook is #31] and a +17. For the eternal pessimists on this board, for whom, it sometimes seems, a UNC win is far more painful than is a Duke loss, well, let's hope that this UNC "legacy" [he's Charlie Scott's son] helps the Buckeyes defeat the Heels whenever they meet next spring. Also hope that it takes young Scott some time to get accustomed to the rigors of college ball, so that he commits 8 turnovers the evening of Nov. 29. Scott, btw, won't need to play any D at first, as Aaron Craft can cover the opposing PG and both wings all by himself. I'm afraid this means that Tyler, Seth, Quinn, Andre, Austin, and Michael are all in for trouble on Nov. 29. [Should the clever and/or suspicious among you infer that the entire purpose of my reviving this ancient thread was to find an excuse to sing the proverbial praises of Aaron Craft, you have caught me proverbially red-handed.]

Alex Murphy - Speaking of reviving older threads, someone might consider a new thread reviving an old theme, "Are we forgetting... Alex Murphy?" It's perhaps fair to say that neither the gurus nor we know what to expect from the early[-arriving] AM. [There's an obvious nickname there...] As for myself, I saw Early AM twice, nay thrice, on the tele, and was impressed with him. Multi-talented, smart, plays very very well with other children. His 2011-12 season could go in any of several directions: redshirt, great learning year with but spot-duty, or surprise PT even into the ACC schedule. He's the forgotten guy, so far, as we approach October Madness, but his play will occasion many admiring comments on this board soon enough.

Marshall Plumlee - good news, bad news: +11, but "only" #61. Such is what passes for "bad news" at Duke the Entitled. Recall the great comedian Pete Gillen: ""Domzalski can't get in a game at Duke. If we had him at Virginia, we'd build a statue to him, right beside Thomas Jefferson." So, would we trade Marshall Plumlee's likely-4-year career in Durham for 2011-12 UVa's Mike Scott? Nah.

Cody Zeller [IU] - #10. Glad the Heels missed on him. Sorry the Bulldogs did, too.

Michael Gbinije - Not sure why he's -4, down a bit to #28, though I can't deny that the aforementioned Khem Birch and Tony Wroten "deserved" to pass him by. Maybe Finney-Smith, as well. I'm thrilled with Gbinije: D, smarts, glue, chip-on-shoulder, plus he's now 6'11". Or close to it. Possibly. Wait, maybe that's why he's -4: the gurus heard he's grown to 7'3", but he's got no post game. And at 7'3", now he can't guard William Buford. Crap.

Tyler Adams - #80, -7. Perhaps you are unaware that Tyler has re-reconsidered, and will be attending Duke after all. You better wake up. Whoever you are.

Josiah Turner/Nick Johnson [UAA] - #s14 and 22, these guys got game and will play right away at the Univ. of Accursed Arizona.

Looking forward to whatever tidbits other posters can mine from this composite stuff. After a delightful and safe Fourth. Or at least until after the delightfully informative Sunday morn news shows. Is this a great country or what?
    Last edited by gumbomoop; 07-03-2011 at 10:37 AM. Reason: typos

Good work by gumbomoop.

A few random thoughts on the list

* Kentucky with #1 Davis, #3 Gilchrist, #7 Teague, and #19 Wiltjer is absolutely loaded; the key guy here could be Teague; how quickly he is able to handle PG duties will be important for the Wildcats

* Tyler Adams dropped to #80, and shows Duke as his school, in a mistake here

* Florida State got two mid-size wings, Thomas #62 and Space #67; Leonard Hamilton continues to get guys that allows them to have a long, tough defense

* Va Tech did well, with 3 players on this list, #22 Finney-Smith, #86 Brown, and #100 Barksdale, all from in-state

* Have to say it's interesting to see 98 of the top 100 prospects headed to 4-year colleges (I count 2 JuCo); what are the percentage of college-bound graduates these days from a typical high school, or from an urban high school? Makes me wonder how many of the players are capable of doing college level work, or will be asked to? Just my .02, but it adds fuel to the concept that these guys should have a path to their vocation of pro basketball, that may not include going to college.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Tony Wroten [Washington] - I was mightily impressed with his passing in a couple of A-S games, and would push him even higher than his #18/chg +7. I wonder whether he's "only" #18 because he's "only" going to UW, rather than to Duke, UNC, UK, KU.
    Folks here in the Pacific Northwest are plenty excited about Tony Wroten. The rumor mill believes Isiah Thomas declared for the NBA Draft (#60 pick by Sacremento Kings) partially due to the likelihood he would lose point guard minutes to Wroten.

If Abdul Gaddy regains his health, UW will be solid in the back court with Gaddy and Wroten both able to play point and off the ball.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Folks here in the Pacific Northwest are plenty excited about Tony Wroten. The rumor mill believes Isiah Thomas declared for the NBA Draft (#60 pick by Sacremento Kings) partially due to the likelihood he would lose point guard minutes to Wroten.

If Abdul Gaddy regains his health, UW will be solid in the back court with Gaddy and Wroten both able to play point and off the ball.
    Yeah, when you watch them both play, I don't see how you rank Teague ahead of Wroten. Teague may look better in playground games, but Wroten just seems like a flat out better basketball player. Heard it might be attitude issues though?

Interesting to see how many potential sleepers are outside of the top 35-40.

#39 Johnny O'Bryant
    #41 Ben McLemore
    #44 LaQuinton Ross
    #55 Michael Chandler

...are all top 10-20 talents, in my opinion. Remains to be seen if they actually pan out though.

There's also a huge amount of parity in PG in this class; from watching them play, I'm not sure #s 81 and 91 Myles Mack and Nadir Tharpe aren't better than some of their top 30 counterparts.

Makes you see how the Derrick Williamses can slip through the cracks sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    * Have to say it's interesting to see 98 of the top 100 prospects headed to 4-year colleges (I count 2 JuCo); what are the percentage of college-bound graduates these days from a typical high school, or from an urban high school? Makes me wonder how many of the players are capable of doing college level work, or will be asked to? Just my .02, but it adds fuel to the concept that these guys should have a path to their vocation of pro basketball, that may not include going to college.
    Good observation, Roy. My Father actually started a program to encourage inner-city African-American Males to graduate from high school and attend college. The success rate is incredibly low. I won't quote a percentage, as I know the ballpark figure, but not the exact number. He tells me it's a major challenge.

Coincidentally, my Father is being recognized by Duke this Fall for his Humanitarian efforts in working to get underpriviledged kids into college.

Drew Cannon of Basketball Prospectus revisits the Top 100 recruits from the Class of 2011. Cool read.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Drew Cannon of Basketball Prospectus revisits the Top 100 recruits from the Class of 2011. Cool read.
    My favorite line in the article:

I'm tagging Cook as a potential breakout candidate for 2012-13.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    My favorite line in the article:
    I believe this prediction turns out to be true. Quinn's efficiency numbers will probably come back down a bit in extended minutes, but I think he will be quite the force on offense and hopefully improved on defense (which will get him on the court). One of the easiest ways for Duke to retain its high offensive ranking despite losing Austin is to get guys like Seth, Ryan, Mason, and others high quality shots. All three of these guys are capable of being efficient scorers, but definitely do best when they don't have to create their own shot. That was a challenge last year as the season wore on. Neither Tyler nor Austin was particularly good at setting up their teammates, and Seth, while not terrible, wasn't a great play maker, either. Quinn flashed his elite playmaking skills at times last year. This coming season he will be fully healthy for the first time in almost two years and will have a year at Duke under his belt. I think that an improved Quinn will go a long ways toward making Duke dangerous on the offensive end.