10 12.35%
  • Vinegar Base

51 62.96%
  • Tomato Base

22 27.16%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bbq

I've lived in North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Kansas. I've enjoyed barbecue everywhere - except Texas. Never could find a decent place. My favorite - Kansas City; 2nd place - Memphis, 3rd - Lexington, NC.

Great BBQ

For any of you near Burlington, J&G Barbecue on North Church St in East Burlington had the best BBQ around until their building burned down about 1-2 years ago. I just found out that J&G is going to reopen in October in the old Huey's Resturaunt building in the Food Lion Shopping Center on South Church St in west Burlington. Can't wait.
    Tom Mac

Quote Originally Posted by cniedringhaus View Post
    I've lived in North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Kansas. I've enjoyed barbecue everywhere - except Texas. Never could find a decent place. My favorite - Kansas City; 2nd place - Memphis, 3rd - Lexington, NC.
    Therein lies the problem with Texas BBQ. The market is saturated. While I still insist the quality and variety you get at a great Texas Pit BBQ establishment (especially in the smaller towns) is second to none, Texas also has to lead the way in mediocre and downright bad BBQ joints.

I need to try the ones in Ft. Worth. If you ever spend any amount of time in San Antonio or Austin, though, you should make the trek to Llano, Lockhart, Taylor, Luling, Elgin, Marble Falls, etc. etc. and take in the pure excellence.

Thank you, moderators.

For the best Eastern North Carolina style 'cue, the place is Skylight Inn in Ayden. Just don't expect anything but 'cue and cornbread.

Regarding the Brunswick Stew

That would be "Mrs. Fearnows" which is produced here in Mechanicsville, Va, which is an excellent commercial product, IMO. Hard to beat it, even from scratch. As far as the poll, surprised noone has mentioned the popular South Carolina tradition of mustard-based BBQ. Don't prefer that to Eastern NC BBQ, but I thought I'd mention it. I've had little experience with brisket and the KC version of "burnt ends" that I've seen on the food network. Or Memphis style, for that matter.

Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    This is easy. Go to any of about a half dozen places in the Texas hill country and you'll get the best pork chop, pork ribs, brisket and smoked sausage you've ever had.

I enjoy the NC Barbecue and all, but it's a one trick pony (pulled pork). I'll take the whole chop and a few ribs on the side, thank you.
    I have enjoyed my exposure to the smoked meats they serve in Texas, but by definition, that's not barbeque.

The terms were defined by the Texans themselves -- I was at the national chili cookoff and was informed that the only "stew" that can officially be called chili is the beef and red sauce that was developed in Texas. If you put beans in it or any other kind of meat, it's not officially chili.

By those terms, North Carolina-style pulled pork is the original barbeque. It's the same meat and same method that the pre-Columbian Indians used (although in addition to pig, they also smoked fish ... but never beef). The smoked meat variations they've developed in Texas are nice, but they aren't barbeque.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    By those terms, North Carolina-style pulled pork is the original barbeque.
    What is the origin of the term "pulled pork." In my many years in and out of NC we had sliced or chopped BBQ. Never heard "pulled pork" until I got to Florida in the oughts.

Pulled Pork, my guess at etymology: after you cook the pork (Boston Butt in a crock pot is good for up to medium-sized batches), you shred it apart using a couple forks, pulling in opposite directions from your "point of attack".

For the record, I love Brunswick stew! Around here I get it at chain BBQ places like Smokey Bones, but it is very good there. I also confess to liking Sticky Fingers BBQ, another chain, but at least it started here in the Chattanooga area (does that make it less of a chain restaurant, if you live in the town where it started?).

Before I first had Brunswick stew (in NC, during Duke days) I had something similar called "burgoo". It is a type of BBQ stew I used to get when I was in HS in western KY. When I lived in CT I used to have it shipped to me. My SO (from Jaw-Juh) didn't like it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    And what does one drink with BBQ?
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Beer and then another beer. With my vinegar based pork BBQ of course.
    Bob Green

Not that I'm complaining mind you...

...but Duke vs. Kentucky? Please put it back to "Favorite type of Bar-Bee-Q" if you don't mind

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Great poll Bluedawg! I voted pork, vinegar based. It has long been a tradition of EarlJam to have the following as my first NCAA March Madness Tournament meal:

1 plate of: Pork BBQ, with fries, hush puppies, cole slaw and baked beans.

Awesome.
    I'm with you but i prefer boiled potatos to baked beans.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Pulled Pork, my guess at etymology: after you cook the pork (Boston Butt in a crock pot is good for up to medium-sized batches), you shred it apart using a couple forks, pulling in opposite directions from your "point of attack".

For the record, I love Brunswick stew! Around here I get it at chain BBQ places like Smokey Bones, but it is very good there. I also confess to liking Sticky Fingers BBQ, another chain, but at least it started here in the Chattanooga area (does that make it less of a chain restaurant, if you live in the town where it started?).

Before I first had Brunswick stew (in NC, during Duke days) I had something similar called "burgoo". It is a type of BBQ stew I used to get when I was in HS in western KY. When I lived in CT I used to have it shipped to me. My SO (from Jaw-Juh) didn't like it though.
    OOOOOH Brunswick stew! heaven on earth! But imitation Brunswick stew...your SO was correct!
    Last edited by Bluedawg; 09-08-2007 at 12:05 AM.

Pulled pork is just that, you pull it off the bone and don't cut it in any way. So you have long, thin pieces of meat. Have had it several times at various joints in Va and NC. I'm with Bob Green and the beverage of choice; Ozzie would agree
    GO DUKE!! Beat the 'hoos!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    ...but Duke vs. Kentucky? Please put it back to "Favorite type of Bar-Bee-Q" if you don't mind
    DBR has a long standing tradition of having all BBQ discussions under this subject heading. It's also the only "off-topic" topic that's always on topic.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post
    For the best Eastern North Carolina style 'cue, the place is Skylight Inn in Ayden. Just don't expect anything but 'cue and cornbread.
    Actually it's Knightdale Seafood and BBQ

Wow!!! Excellent food and a great price. You can't beat this deal. This is a great restaurant for a family, a traveller or just a night out for great food. You can't go wrong here. They will accomodate you if you have special dietary needs...I am a diabetic and asked one of the owners, Phyllis, for a little help with a menu selection that would stay within my dietary guidelines and she was very helpful. The kitchen was very mindful of my condition and was able to serve me an excellent diabetic meal!!!!! Very good food. Excellent service. I will go back and eat anytime I am in the Raleigh area!!!! Bravo!

Dammit, now I have to go out and get me a Boston butt and fire up the crockpot. Good thing we just finished up that batch of chili (with beans, thank you very much, and I will brook no discussion on that).

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    After five years I finally feel like an "old-timer". Thanks Bluedawg, for giving me the opportunity to say, "kids these days . . . what are things coming to?"

You can add me to the camp that says if it ain't vinegar based pulled pork, it ain't Q.

Bullock's?

I never took advantage of my four years in Durham to really seek out great local cuisine. I went to Bullock's a fair amount and thought it was damn good, but I rarely see it mentioned in these threads.

For the true afficianados: Where does Bullock's rank in terms of quality (e.g. how many stars on a 5 star scale)?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Beer and then another beer. With my vinegar based pork BBQ of course.
    You are correct sir, yes!!

But name me a fine establishment that offers both. Seems as though the good pork/vinegar cue joints opt for DA's SWAYT TAY.

For ribs, I used to love going to KC Masterpiece in St. Louis, have ribs, onion straws, and Schlafly Oatmeal Stout. Unfortunately Throaty, it closed a few years ago.

Cheers,
    Lavabe