Ashley Judd unloads on the media ... if only they would listen

Ashley Judd take the media to task for its incessant obsession with trying to knock women down several pegs. Good for her - hopefully her message makes it out into the mainstream.

In brief summary, many news agencies were apparently reporting about plastic surgery she had done and how her face now looks puffy. Some sources were complementing her, others saying she ruined her face. Drs who she didn't know were commenting on procedures she "obviously had done", and others were generally just being scummy. Judd called a spade a spade and commented how ridiculous our society has become.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...e=home_oneline
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

This makes me almost like her. Too bad I can't overlook she's a UK fan.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

She chose to be in the public eye. This means you enjoy the benefits (money, fame) but must accept the consequences (close scrutinization of your appearance). Waaah waaah waaah.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    She chose to be in the public eye. This means you enjoy the benefits (money, fame) but must accept the consequences (close scrutinization of your appearance). Waaah waaah waaah.
    I think this point would be stronger if the behavior she's discussing was limited to women who are celebrities. Unfortunately, it is not, as she explicitly states. The (hyperfocus on bodies) : (money/fame benefits) ratio is also far higher for your average Jane than for Ashley Judd, too.

Good for her for writing this. I don't see any harm in talking openly about the issues; they're definitely real.

Quote Originally Posted by Lid View Post
    I think this point would be stronger if the behavior she's discussing was limited to women who are celebrities. Unfortunately, it is not, as she explicitly states. The (hyperfocus on bodies) : (money/fame benefits) ratio is also far higher for your average Jane than for Ashley Judd, too.

Good for her for writing this. I don't see any harm in talking openly about the issues; they're definitely real.
    I agree. She is very clear that she does not care, and has not cared, what the media publishes about her personally. Its the hyper-focus on physical appearance permeating society that she is speaking out against. Again, I applaud her for using her fame to write something meaningful and insightful.

This is NOT a piece bemoaning the media and the press for prying into the life of a celebrity - which (as mentioned) is fairly clear to those who actually read the article.

Ashley Judd's statement about how women and girls are treated by the media was featured recently by Miss Representation.

To say that Ashley Judd chose a public life and therefore made herself open to such treatment trivializes the real problem. The problem is that women and girls continue to be marginalized today... this is despite all the advances we thought occurred in the sixties and seventies.

I will acknowledge not taking it seriously because it's hard for me to give a crap about what Ashley Judd thinks about anything.

It's still self-serving pap no one would read if it were some women's studies professor at a third-rate liberal arts school. Society objectifies women! Shocking news! And sometimes people make up stories about celebrities! "I thus abstain from all media about myself." Sure you do!

I will acknowledge not taking it seriously because it's hard for me to give a crap about what Ashley Judd thinks about anything.

It's still self-serving pap no one would read if it were some women's studies professor at a third-rate liberal arts school. Society objectifies women! Shocking news! And sometimes people make up stories about celebrities! "I thus abstain from all media about myself." Sure you do!
    So someone in a position to be heard takes a stand and says something and all of a sudden its self serving pap? Excuse her for showing some depth to her character. Most here acknowledge that Coach K is a great leader of men. What few here probably recognize or care about is that my father is also a great leader and has run a successful small business for the past 30 years. If my father makes a statement about leadership nobody outside his immediate circle will hear or care. If Coach K - a man in a position to be heard, makes the same statement, it can find a whole new audience.

Somebody obviously has a very close connection to Ashley Judd and is able to tell us exactly what she does and does not care about. As an innocent bystander, I just take her at face value since she has done nothing to make me think otherwise.
    Last edited by -jk; 04-10-2012 at 05:13 PM. Reason: removed deleted quote

Now that she's all over the tube, she looks fine to me. We're all getting older, so what?

But, her new tv show? Looks like it stinks. I've seen maybe 5 seconds but it's ludicrous. She must do a lot of running around corners just in time to miss her dopey son and his kidnappers.

I don't care about her one way or the other, but having watched her on the evening news last night, I have to say it was a pointlessly self-indulgent whine. My wife and I kept waiting for her to
    get to the part where she discussed a major wrong, and it never came. Lots of repeated drivel about how people noted puffiness in her face.
    May this be the toughest thing she has to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Ashley Judd's statement about how women and girls are treated by the media was featured recently by Miss Representation.
    I actually just saw Miss Representation yesterday. Without getting into PPB territory, I'd say it makes a stronger case regarding women in the media than Judd's article.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeface88 View Post
    I actually just saw Miss Representation yesterday. Without getting into PPB territory, I'd say it makes a stronger case regarding women in the media than Judd's article.
    My apologies... my reference was incomplete. I intended the reference to Miss Representation to mean the movement, not the film. http://www.missrepresentation.org/

I don't think Judd is wrong in what she says, I just think she's a bit of a hypocrite as she has always leveraged sex appeal to further her career. She is one of the highest profile actresses to consistently get naked in the movies she does...like, nearly every movie. If you're going to use your bod to make $, you've officially entered the octagon...people are going to talk about your appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    So someone in a position to be heard takes a stand and says something and all of a sudden its self serving pap? Excuse her for showing some depth to her character. Most here acknowledge that Coach K is a great leader of men. What few here probably recognize or care about is that my father is also a great leader and has run a successful small business for the past 30 years. If my father makes a statement about leadership nobody outside his immediate circle will hear or care. If Coach K - a man in a position to be heard, makes the same statement, it can find a whole new audience.

Somebody obviously has a very close connection to Ashley Judd and is able to tell us exactly what she does and does not care about. As an innocent bystander, I just take her at face value since she has done nothing to make me think otherwise.
    Isn't this the problem-- her face has been de-valued?