Heading out to see the women play!

Go support them and take a kid or two!

Quote Originally Posted by cbfx3 View Post
    Go support them and take a kid or two!
    Absolutely!!! I've had the fun and awesome responsibility of indoctrinating a few Hillsborough kids into Duke WBB. Not an easy task in Orange county! Go Duke!!!

Women thrashed WF.. press was great.. Kids had a ball! I caught a T shirt..

First, let me make it clear that Wake just isn't very good. They've had some injuries and some illnesses and their ball-handling capabilities have been severely compromised.

But still, there is a lot to be said for taking care of business and beating the teams you are supposed to beat. Duke never let Wake have even a glimpse of hope. Wake didn't score for seven minutes and by that point it was 12-0.

Emily Waner didn't play. She was listed as out for this game but I understand she will not rejoin the team. The other 11 players played between 8 and 26 minutes. It was sloppy at times; Wake had 24 turnovers, Duke 18. Neither team shot well from outside; Wake 2-18 on 3s, Duke 3-17. But Duke had 17 steals and outrebounded Wake 50-34.

Abby Waner hit a pair of threes and went over 1000 points for her career.

Attendance was listed at 5929 but that's very generous.

I'm not going to argue that everything is hunky-dory and these guys end every practice by sitting around the campfire singing kumba-ya. But beating an ACC team--even a struggling ACC team--by 35 points doesn't suggest an team getting ready to implode. From where I was sitting it was a pretty solid effort.

GoDuke says Emily is on a "leave of absence" from the team. Say what? Did she just quit? I wonder how this may affect Abby. Kind of a sad way to end her journey. She came with great promise (although not as much as Abby). She had to play beyond POY Harding for two years, actually started at the beginning of the season, but quickly got relegated to the end of the bench.

Thought the defense was good tonight. I like the revamped starting lineup. KJ brings great energy to the floor, and Carrem had a solid game. That said, Wake has no point guard. They seemed to hurry everything tonight, but part of that was our offense.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    GoDuke says Emily is on a "leave of absence" from the team. Say what? Did she just quit? I wonder how this may affect Abby. Kind of a sad way to end her journey. She came with great promise (although not as much as Abby). She had to play beyond POY Harding for two years, actually started at the beginning of the season, but quickly got relegated to the end of the bench.
    Here is the story from goduke.com...

Senior Emily Waner To Miss Wake Forest Game
    02/10/2008 - Duke Sports Information

DURHAM, N.C. – Duke senior Emily Waner has taken a leave of absence from the women’s basketball team and will miss the Wake Forest contest on Sunday, Feb. 10.

“We respect and support Emily’s decision to be away from the team at this time,” Duke Head Coach Joanne P. McCallie said. “Emily is a member of our program. We’ll continue to support her in any way possible.”

Waner, a native of Highlands Ranch, Colo., has seen action in 18 games this season, while starting three. She is averaging 1.8 points, 1.6 assists and has hit 9-of-24 three-pointers on the year in 9.8 minutes a contest. A 5-8 point guard, Waner has played in 72 career games as a Blue Devil.
    DukeDevilDeb

From another website it appears having no minutes played against UNC and BC, she has decided to move on and focus on academia. Its not for sure but that is what was discussed on another board.Duke has been shooting very poorly as a team most of this year. I don't think Abby will be impacted. She may be upset but when she is playing I would think that won't be in her mind.Good luck to the team the rest of the year they will need it.