Irving's team banned from tournament

Looks like St. Patrick's is going to be banned from the state tournament and (maybe) the coach suspended for holding illegal practices.

http://tinyurl.com/yhd6cuq

Terrible news for St. Pat's and I feel badly for Kyrie. Kevin Boyle has been a coach for a long time and should know when practices are allowed to commence. Having said that, a ban from postseason and suspension for having a couple extra practices seems a bit harsh, especially since these kids are playing all year anyways through AAU, etc. You really think it gives them an unfair advantage to start a couple days early? But I suppose rules are rules and they don't want to start a bad precedent...

Punish the coach - let the kids play. I'm sure they have an assistant.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Terrible news for St. Pat's and I feel badly for Kyrie. Kevin Boyle has been a coach for a long time and should know when practices are allowed to commence. Having said that, a ban from postseason and suspension for having a couple extra practices seems a bit harsh, especially since these kids are playing all year anyways through AAU, etc. You really think it gives them an unfair advantage to start a couple days early? But I suppose rules are rules and they don't want to start a bad precedent...

I was thinking that same thing with regards to the playing year round for these guys. Something I was thinking as well was how do you determine whether something is an official practice? Aren't you allowed to have team shootarounds or workouts before that date? We didn't officially start practice until then, but after tryouts and after the roster was set, I remember having shootarounds and scrimmaging with our assistant coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    I was thinking that same thing with regards to the playing year round for these guys. Something I was thinking as well was how do you determine whether something is an official practice? Aren't you allowed to have team shootarounds or workouts before that date? We didn't officially start practice until then, but after tryouts and after the roster was set, I remember having shootarounds and scrimmaging with our assistant coaches.
    I would imagine that this varies from state to state, but in NC the kids can play together as a team, and you can actually "practice" (run drills, etc..) as long as the coach is not in attendance or has anything to do with it. So if you have a volunteer or a Senior run the "practice" it is all good...

There are rules, but of course, rules have many loopholes. Usually head coaches can't practice with the team, but the rules doesn't say anything about head coaches working with players in the weightroom or on the track for conditioning. It also doesn't say anything about assistant coaches working with players on the court.

Most coaches, especially those in larger areas, get around the rule by having their team play in summer and fall leagues. If you're in a summer or fall league, then you have to practice with your team.

St. Patrick's banned from state tournament

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    That is bad news for Kyrie and his teammates.

By the way, St. Patrick and Kyrie are on TV tonight, playing Oak Hill at 9:00 PM Eastern on ESPNU.

I'm going to the game, look forward to talking to people to find out what they're thinking about it. It's not as bad a blow as you might think; they're focused on the national tournaments anyway. (Bigger fish to fry) But still, just kind of a rough break, especially considering the shady investigating tactics used by the NJSIAA.

Reminder

Just wanted to remind everyone that Kyrie and St. Patrick's are set to play Oak Hill on ESPNU right now as soon as the Fairfield vs Rider game (now in OT) ends.

Quote Originally Posted by HateCarolina View Post
    Just wanted to remind everyone that Kyrie and St. Patrick's are set to play Oak Hill on ESPNU right now as soon as the Fairfield vs Rider game (now in OT) ends.
    Just watched the game. St. Pat's lost another heartbreaker 79-78 when Gordon missed two FT's that would have won the game with .4 seconds left.

Irving is a spectacular talent and a money player. He hit two huge threes down the stretch, the second of which was about a 25 footer. Both barely brushed the net. And he can get to the hoop and finish. I've heard a lot of comparisons (the announcers compared him to O.J. Mayo and Chris Paul) but I think he is a blend of Williams and Duhon - and that's not a bad combination. Not as physically strong as Williams - built more like Duhon - but a very similar style.

I predict he will lead the ACC in assists next year. Dawkins, Curry, Smith, Singler and Kelly are going to have so many open looks from three next year it's going to be ridiculous.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Just watched the game. St. Pat's lost another heartbreaker 79-78 when Gordon missed two FT's that would have won the game with .4 seconds left.

Irving is a spectacular talent and a money player. He hit two huge threes down the stretch, the second of which was about a 25 footer. Both barely brushed the net. And he can get to the hoop and finish. I've heard a lot of comparisons (the announcers compared him to O.J. Mayo and Chris Paul) but I think he is a blend of Williams and Duhon - and that's not a bad combination. Not as physically strong as Williams - built more like Duhon - but a very similar style.

I predict he will lead the ACC in assists next year. Dawkins, Curry, Smith, Singler and Kelly are going to have so many open looks from three next year it's going to be ridiculous.
    Looks like he can feed the post as well