View Poll Results: Predict the result of the Presidential Election

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obama landslide (310 + electoral votes)

2 2.70%
  • Obama comfortable win (290-310 EVs)

17 22.97%
  • Obama close win (279-290 EVs)

27 36.49%
  • Obama barely wins (270 + 278 EVs)

6 8.11%
  • Exact tie 269-269

0 0%
  • Romney barely wins (270 + 278 EVs)

7 9.46%
  • Romney close win (279-290 EVs)

7 9.46%
  • Romney comfortable win (290-310 EVs)

7 9.46%
  • Romney landslide (310 + electoral votes)

1 1.35%
Page 59 of 99 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1980
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebutton View Post
    I spent 7 years closeted in a university department because non-liberals were not welcome. I feared and still fear I will be unemployable if people knew my views. So if you'll give me some slack for acting out of habit--lurking--, I apologize for not staying hidden.
    It is truly unfortunate that you worked at a place that did not allow diverse political views. Let me just assure you that DBR is not such a place.

I worked at a major news organization for 20+ years where the vast majority of the people I worked with were extremely liberal. But, anyone who tried to shout down the conservatives among us would have been very short for their job.

-Jason "I probably overreacted a bit -- sorry" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Republicans challenging early voting in Ohio have been dealt a setback, as the Supreme Court has refused to hear an appeal of an earlier lower court ruling that required voting be made available to all Ohio voters, not merely military members, during the final weekend before Election Day (generally, the busiest period of early voting).

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...hio/?hpt=hp_t2

As discussed here a few days ago, early in-person voting historically skews heavily Democratic, so this is a pretty clear victory for Democrats in what is commonly seen as the most important swing state this election cycle.

On a lighter note...

As we prepare for the debate... a few more choice cartoons.

-Jason "there are a million more with the same theme -- Obama was sleeping during the first debate" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicago 1995 View Post
    I think that's being terribly optimistic.
    I know more than a few moderate/centrist registered democrats in the Philadelphia suburbs who would agree with you.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Section 21 will once again be up and running during the debate tonight. (Hell, it's up 24-7.) Don't know if anyone was in there for the VP show since I was busy staring down the chimney of my bbq smoker, but we had a fun crowd for the first one. Just as in this thread, keep things civil. Unless you are talking about penguins..they are truly evil.

leftwinger.gif

Chat room is at www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/chat
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    What's more, how dare someone who never posts in this thread lecture me about whether they feel welcome. It is like peeking through the window of a bar, poking your head through the open door, and yelling, "ya'll won't let me in!!" EVeryone in the bar just looks around and says, "who is that and what is he talking about?"
    It is like calling a number in the classified ads, and yelling "I don't want any damn piano lessons!"

I have posted conservative horse-race observations and liberal ones. No problems. If someone is getting dinged, it probably has more to do with approach than substance, or losing sight of the fact that this thread is about the horse race -- not which horse should win on merits.

JMHO. This thread and the Primary thread have been fairly moderated and I am thankful we have had this enlightening discussion with many very good posts.

Candy Crowley certainly listened to the media. Not letting Mitt get the last word on the first topic and pushing the debate on. This will certainly change the strategy of be the loudest and emphatic.

Obama pwning Romney so far. Although my take has been counter-mainstream so far this debate season.

Romney still pushing the business and jobs angle really hard

....and while the President is much more animated, focused and competitive in this debate versus the last, Romney's economic angle may resonate more loudly with the independent, indecisive voter. Based on his business success and experience, he comes across as confident in helping us get back to work. I am enjoying a more competitive back and forth between both candidates!

Dth

OPK insta-call:

Obama looked very strong, Mitt looked wobbly and kinda petulant. Candy did well but will be attacked as pro-Dem.

As you know, I've been counter-everyone for the first two so probably am now.

Wish the Libertarian was also involved on the debates, would help push both candidates here.

Aside: as I type this, is Mitt really arguing that companies would rather move to Canada than stay here?!?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    OPK insta-call:

Obama looked very strong, Mitt looked wobbly and kinda petulant. Candy did well but will be attacked as pro-Dem.

As you know, I've been counter-everyone for the first two so probably am now.

Wish the Libertarian was also involved on the debates, would help push both candidates here.

Aside: as I type this, is Mitt really arguing that companies would rather move to Canada than stay here?!?
    It'll be a draw, as Udaman predicted and said about the last debate. Both sides will come out declaring certain victory.

I thought Candy was a nice breath of fresh air but she did come in on behalf of Obama a few times (I wish there would be fact checkers for this but no doubt she'll be crucified.)

But I think the biggest thing will be Mitt looking petulant on the taxes and Libya. He looked as if he was trying to get Obama on semantics or a technicality while Obama came out looking as more worried about the big picture and not whether he said "act of terror" or "terrorist act" or where he has investments.

Quote Originally Posted by sporthenry View Post
    But I think the biggest thing will be Mitt looking petulant on the taxes and Libya.
    I might be overreacting, but I think Obama's answer on the Libya question was the strongest moment of his campaign in a long, long time.

Agreed that the moderator is going to be attacked, with some justification, for being pro-dem.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I might be overreacting, but I think Obama's answer on the Libya question was the strongest moment of his campaign in a long, long time.

Agreed that the moderator is going to be attacked, with some justification, for being pro-dem.
    I agree she'll be attacked, but what is the justification? I thought Crowley did a phenomenol job.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    I agree she'll be attacked, but what is the justification? I thought Crowley did a phenomenol job.
    Well Obama got the last point in many of the discussions b/c Romney misunderstood how it worked and thought he'd get last word. But her biggest thing was jumping in on the Libya terror thing and agreeing with Obama.

But I really liked how she stopped them. I understand Lehrer trying to let them talk in the first debate, but that just didn't work since both just talked in circles and moved way off base. I thought they stayed on course and got to the issues.

But her biggest thing was jumping in on the Libya terror thing and agreeing with Obama..
    Do you mean where she pointed out that Romney's contention that Obama didn't refer to the attack in Libya as terrorism for 14 days was false?

Do you mean where she pointed out that Romney's contention that Obama didn't refer to the attack in Libya as terrorism for 14 days was false?
    The transcript:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-...sy-staff-libya

Do you mean where she pointed out that Romney's contention that Obama didn't refer to the attack in Libya as terrorism for 14 days was false? The statement "facts have a liberal bias" is supposed to be a joke.
    Well both sides have a case with this speech. Obama tiptoed a fine line in his speech, and said, after referring to 9/11, "No acts of terror." It was unclear whether he was referring this as an act of terror or just terror in general and never mentioned terror again or at the UN. So both sides will claim this as victory for them. Obama probably has to get better at clarifying what he means a la "you didn't build that" when he meant bridges and roads, not the actual small businesses.

But I don't understand why this is becoming a huge issue. Why does it matter when it is declared terrorism? Would it have changed what we did? Does it really matter what he said in the speech? Personally, I like the fact Obama waited a bit because I think he has been too quick to judge such as the Henry Gates Louis case when he spoke without knowing all the facts.

Well both sides have a case with this speech. Obama tiptoed a fine line in his speech, and said, after referring to 9/11, "No acts of terror." It was unclear whether he was referring this as an act of terror or just terror in general and never mentioned terror again or at the UN. So both sides will claim this as victory for them. Obama probably has to get better at clarifying what he means a la "you didn't build that" when he meant bridges and roads, not the actual small businesses.

But I don't understand why this is becoming a huge issue. Why does it matter when it is declared terrorism? Would it have changed what we did? Does it really matter what he said in the speech? Personally, I like the fact Obama waited a bit because I think he has been too quick to judge such as the Henry Gates Louis case when he spoke without knowing all the facts.
    No offense, but that's kind of silly. You think the President of the United States was there giving a speech in the Rose Garden about terror in general? Really??? Read the whole transcript--it wasn't a general update on the progress of the war on terror...it was about the attacks that had just happened. I don't think there's much room to argue on this, which is why I'm so puzzled why Romney decided to make this the place to push for specificity.

Just a bizarre moment for Romney, and one that I don't think will play out in the media as a tie. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I just don't see that point as a wash.

Jobs.

Libya, immigration, whatever, this year and right now, we have to get America working again and this is Issue #1. And forget any moderator's influence! We all tend to focus on the ump or the referee waaay too much in competitive contests in general: the bottom-line always goes back to the points up on the scoreboard. I really did appreciate this debate tonight because both were really competitive.

Dth

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    No offense, but that's kind of silly. You think the President of the United States was there giving a speech in the Rose Garden about terror in general? Really??? Read the whole transcript--it wasn't a general update on the progress of the war on terror...it was about the attacks that had just happened. I don't think there's much room to argue on this, which is why I'm so puzzled why Romney decided to make this the place to push for specificity.

Just a bizarre moment for Romney, and one that I don't think will play out in the media as a tie.
    I agree with you, just providing some bipartisan rhetoric on it and I can see where they have a point. He didn't mention terrorism (although can't find a transcript) at the UN and talked quite a bit about religious tolerance in his speech. Again, I don't think him calling it a terrorist attack should matter much and I think Mitt lost this point.