View Poll Results: Who was Man of the Match in Duke's season-opening 77-76 win over Belmont?

Voters
147. You may not vote on this poll
  • Seth Curry

5 3.40%
  • Austin Rivers

0 0%
  • Andre Dawkins

4 2.72%
  • Mason Plumlee

79 53.74%
  • Miles Plumlee

3 2.04%
  • Ryan Kelly

1 0.68%
  • Tyler Thornton

55 37.41%
  • Quinn Cook

0 0%
  • Michael Gbinije

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MOTM: Duke vs. Belmont (Nov 11, 2011)

Who was Man of the Match in Duke's season-opening 77-76 win over Belmont?
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Tyler

Thorton was the gas that ran the engine tonight.

Voted for Tyler although Mason was very impressive over the whole game.

I'm off to study the box score, but I like to vote in the MOTM poll first and my vote went to Tyler Thornton.
    Bob Green

Mason, baby! I thought Tyler made a lot of bad plays down the stretch to go along with his good ones.

I'll take the guy who made the winning shot

I joined the Tyler Thornton fan club tonight and Dre hit the huge bomb at the end, but to me it has to be Mason.

Tough to argue with either MP2 or TT.

Mason was much better tonight but Curry hit so many big threes tonight and overall handled the point guard duty well. Still needs to improve but his shot was money.
    The Terrapin Assassin

We have to at least get Thornton's name correct in the poll after a performance like that.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    We have to at least get Thornton's name correct in the poll after a performance like that.
    Ugh. My bad. Rushed to get the poll up and didn't double check my spelling. Thanks for the catch. It's fixed.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Ugh. My bad. Rushed to get the poll up and didn't double check my spelling. Thanks for the catch. It's fixed.
    Went with the big picture for my vote. Of the guy who played really well tonight, I think that Mason is the most critical for the long term.

I went with the guy whose shot won the game for us. Dre'. If he didn't make that 3 at the end, I don't think we would have won the game, and I realize the last few seconds would have played out differently than the ultimately did had we only had a 1 point lead (instead of a 4 point lead). Curry, Mason and Tyler all played well!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Need one for each half! Mason in the first and Tyler in the second. Both guys played really well.

Glad I was wrong about this one, I thought were going to take the L...

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I went with the guy whose shot won the game for us. Dre'. If he didn't make that 3 at the end, I don't think we would have won the game, and I realize the last few seconds would have played out differently than the ultimately did had we only had a 1 point lead (instead of a 4 point lead). Curry, Mason and Tyler all played well!
    I'd give 'Dre a different kind of MOTM:

Man
    of
    the
    Moment

award.

Gotta go with Mason. Impressive showing, no silly mistakes of note. It looked like he had the instinct to jack up several threes, but checked himself - that, alone, was heartening! Good showing also by TT, our "designated winner." Heart of a lion. I think we lose without either of them coming up big. The final three was nice, but not very impressed with Dre overall. Miles didn't get much run once Mason got hot, but I'm sure he'll have his moments. The game was a stomach-churner, especially after blowing the 16-point lead. We're probably overrated at #6.

Mason

Tyler played great, Seth was very good, Andre hit a deep shot.

But Mason was the player who couldn't be stopped last night.

Great win against a tough team.

Who would have thought that Mason and Miles would have been the only players NOT to have foul trouble as the game wound down? That is a good sign!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Mason might have put up a lot of stats, but Tyler was the one who came in and saved us from self-destructing when everyone else seemed ready to just hand the game over to Belmont. For that alone, I've gotta go with Tyler. He was the man last night, without a doubt. Defensively and offensively.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Need one for each half! Mason in the first and Tyler in the second. Both guys played really well.

Glad I was wrong about this one, I thought were going to take the L...
    You weren't wrong by much--but it was enough, thankfully. Agree totally about Mason in the first half and Tyler in the second, but in the end I went with Mason because he remained really important throughout the game, even if he wasn't quite as effective in the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Gotta go with Mason. Impressive showing, no silly mistakes of note. It looked like he had the instinct to jack up several threes, but checked himself - that, alone, was heartening! Good showing also by TT, our "designated winner." Heart of a lion. I think we lose without either of them coming up big. The final three was nice, but not very impressed with Dre overall. Miles didn't get much run once Mason got hot, but I'm sure he'll have his moments. The game was a stomach-churner, especially after blowing the 16-point lead. We're probably overrated at #6.
    I'm not sure I agree with this. It's true Dre did not have an outstanding game--but the shots he took were all good ones (possible exception--one drive to the basket where he got stripped or stuffed, as I recall--I was watching on tape late at might and can't remember perfectly now), many of which were in and out or otherwise just a little bit off. And his overall intensity and defensive effort were reasonably high throughout. While I might not call it "impressive," I wouldn't call it disappointing, either. I thought it was an okay performance, and if two or three of those close threes had hit, it would have looked like a very good performance.