Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    True. I guess I'm just thinking in terms of the good wins they've had vs expectations.

Me personally, I think beating two #2 teams goes farther than a couple of bad losses. Especially for an unranked team trying to outplay expectations and make the tournament.

Will the selection committee consider they were without their true PG during those games? And was Beverly not yet cleared yet either? I can't remember.

I don't know, I like what I saw from State last night (except for last minute decisions), if Johnson and the others(aren't they getting a transfer soon that can play right away?) can mesh and get some depth, I think this could be a giant killer if they make the dance.
    Beverly didn't miss any games of importance. Johnson was suspended the day of our loss to UNCG.

No. We have CJ Bryce from UNCW eligible next year and Devon Daniels from Utah also next year, plus Blake Harris from MizU eligible middle of next season.

What I like most about the win is that we beat a Duke/UNC and followed it up with a win over a top 25 team. Normally a win gives us a bad loss or two. Excited about the break from tradition here

Following a huge upset win with another big win against a ranked opponent is a big deal in my book. Props to State for winning the game despite the last minute meltdown and as we all know had they lost that game there would be several on hear talking about State having the Duke Hangover.

Good for State. And with Johnson returning soon, the needle is definitely pointing upwards for them. I'm hopeful for them and Keatts. Just so long as they don't someday usurp us.

Will be interesting to see them match up with UNC this year.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Good for State. And with Johnson returning soon, the needle is definitely pointing upwards for them. I'm hopeful for them and Keatts. Just so long as they don't someday usurp us.
    Admit it, you'd much rather there be a healthy and competitive Duke/State rivalry and we both steamroll the Heels on a regular basis. One can dream.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

Will be interesting to see them match up with UNC this year.
    Ha. State will continue to roll over and play dead against the Pus Buckets.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Ha. State will continue to roll over and play dead against the Pus Buckets.
    In the past, even when they defeated a higher-ranked Duke team, I would have expected State to fold when UNC took the court. But the fact that the Pack managed to survive their last-minute swoon against a surging Clemson, and should be getting stronger with the return of Johnson, has me harboring some hope that they will at least hold serve and sink the Fraudship at home in PNC.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    My wife told me there's is no way State could blow it...I told her that I've been a fan for over 25 years and we can be very creative when it comes to losing. ...
    Have you ever had a point guard throw a cross-court pass along your own baseline, only to hit your own basket, causing the ball to fall directly down to an arch-rival (at least back then) to allow him make the easy, uncontested lay-up for the win?

I hate it when that happens ...

Admit it, you'd much rather there be a healthy and competitive Duke/State rivalry and we both steamroll the Heels on a regular basis. One can dream.
    Sign me up for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    In the past, even when they defeated a higher-ranked Duke team, I would have expected State to fold when UNC took the court. But the fact that the Pack managed to survive their last-minute swoon against a surging Clemson, and should be getting stronger with the return of Johnson, has me harboring some hope that they will at least hold serve and sink the Fraudship at home in PNC.
    Is that you, Charlie Brown? It’s me, Lucy. Wanna kick a football?

I would prefer the relationship that State has with UNC to become the relationship that State has with Duke, and for the relationship that State has with Duke to be the relationship State has with UNC. In terms of basketball results, that is. Not in terms of collegiality.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Have you ever had a point guard throw a cross-court pass along your own baseline, only to hit your own basket, causing the ball to fall directly down to an arch-rival (at least back then) to allow him make the easy, uncontested lay-up for the win?

I hate it when that happens ...
    It was worse than that ... Duke was up three with the ball with seconds to play -- in the era before the 3-point shot.

There was no way Duke could lose.

But Steve Gray -- as you described -- threw a crosscourt pass that hit the Maryland basket and dropped into the hands of a Maryland player -- I want to say James Tillman. As Tillman went up for the gift basket, GRAY FOULED HIM. Tillman made the free throw, the game went into OT and Maryland won 65-64 in five extra minutes.

That was in 1977 ... Duke started 11-3, then Tate Armstrong broke his wrist in a win at Virginia. Gray replaced Tate and the season went to hell -- Duke lost 10 of its last 13 games. That will happen when you have a point guard with more turnovers (88) than assists (79)

Bill Foster later said that the Saturday afternoon loss to Maryland was the low point of his coaching career ... but all was redeemed that night. Gene Banks, the nation's most celebrated prep recruit, called Foster that night and told him that he was coming to Duke. The next year, Duke won the ACC and played in the national title game.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    NC State hadn't followed up a regular win over Duke with another win (against anyone, ranked or not) since 2003, when they beat # 3 Duke and then UNC in Raleigh. They did follow-up the win in the 2007 ACC Tournament with a win against UVa. The last time they beat 2 ranked teams in a row was 2012 NCAA tournament, San Diego State and Georgetown.

Ouch

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    It was worse than that ... Duke was up three with the ball with seconds to play -- in the era before the 3-point shot.

There was no way Duke could lose.

But Steve Gray -- as you described -- threw a crosscourt pass that hit the Maryland basket and dropped into the hands of a Maryland player -- I want to say James Tillman. As Tillman went up for the gift basket, GRAY FOULED HIM. Tillman made the free throw, the game went into OT and Maryland won 65-64 in five extra minutes.

That was in 1977 ... Duke started 11-3, then Tate Armstrong broke his wrist in a win at Virginia. Gray replaced Tate and the season went to hell -- Duke lost 10 of its last 13 games. That will happen when you have a point guard with more turnovers (88) than assists (79)

Bill Foster later said that the Saturday afternoon loss to Maryland was the low point of his coaching career ... but all was redeemed that night. Gene Banks, the nation's most celebrated prep recruit, called Foster that night and told him that he was coming to Duke. The next year, Duke won the ACC and played in the national title game.
    I was there. It was the worst of times.

UNC with a BS win as the ball somehow rattled out for Notre dame.

No way Berry was fouled. Big old floperooski.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Notre Dame just got screwed. It’s amaxing that for 40 years UncCheat continues to get bailed out by the refs. That was a travesty. One of the worst calls I’ve ever seen. But I’m not surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Hauerwas View Post
    Notre Dame just got screwed. It’s amaxing that for 40 years UncCheat continues to get bailed out by the refs. That was a travesty. One of the worst calls I’ve ever seen. But I’m not surprised.
    Player from Notre Dame got hit in the face on the putback attempt.

The frustrating thing is the Cheats schedule gets a lot easier for a while. They go to Clemson and Va Tech but other than that they will cruise into February.

I've got no problem with Berry getting that foul call, but if you give him that call then Maye should have been called for his foul on Gibbs.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    I've got no problem with Berry getting that foul call, but if you give him that call then Maye should have been called for his foul on Gibbs.
    "It's called a foul by any normal person but not the ncaa."

-bubba
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.