Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DBR Podcast #100!!!! With a very special guest!

Kenny Dennard joins us this week and his stories about Coach K and the team must be heard to be believed! Amazing interview! Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/po...-kenny-dennard

0:00 Byrd Campbell, our favorite law firm
    0:30 Podcast #100! We are excited!=
    1:30 Jason intros our special guest, former Duke player Kenny Dennard.
    3:00 Time to dissect the NC State game… Kenny says don’t worry about early season games, “nothing really matters until March.”
    6:20 Sam asks Kenny when the team will get it together on D. Kenny has a brilliant reply, “Coach K’s won 5 national championships, but he’s lost 32.”
    9:30 Sam asks if we are concerned about the short bench. Jason’s response, “No.”
    11:20 Jason gives us some of the ugly stats from the game.
    16:50 Donald talks a bit about leadership and finding someone other than Grayson to step up.
    19:25 Kenny with a gratuitous shot at John Calipari… we love it!
    21:15 Kenny makes a great comparison to a record player, a device Sam has never heard of.
    26:10 Sam wraps up the NC State talk with some optimistic notes.
    27:25 We begin our look back at Kenny’s time at Duke by asking how things went so well early in his career and then went south later. His answer takes us to New York for the famous Sports Illustrated article that was never published, to Spring Break in the Keys, to the moment Coach K was hired.
    36:50 Jason asks for Kenny’s favorite story about Kenny… and it somehow ends up being a story about how Coach K and Mrs. K conceived their third daughter!!
    40:15 Kenny has an amazing story about Coach K almost getting fired back in the early 1980s.
    43:20 Donald talks to Kenny about his favorite Duke players of all time
    47:00 Kenny tells us about how K was 30 years ago versus how he is today
    50:00 Jason asks Kenny for his best Coach K story and we hear about the time K almost retired.
    56:20 We bid goodbye to the legend… thanks again, Kenny!
    1:01:55 Thanks against to Byrd Campbell for their continued support of the DBR Podcast!
    1:02:40 We preview the upcoming opponents, Pitt and Wake.
    1:05:55 The only interesting thing about Pitt… Kevin Stallings taking on Louisville!
    1:09:00 Donald gives us the lowdown on Wake
    1:12:10 THERE IS NO PLAYER OF THE WEEK!!
    1:13:00 Parting Shots – Donald wants to know who is going to win the college football championship
    1:13:45 Parting Shots – Sam plugs Coach Cut doing commentary on the college football title game
    1:14:30 Parting Shots – Jason on TV Teddy and the controversial referee
    1:20:30 Goodbye with episode #100!
    Last edited by blazindw; 01-10-2018 at 06:54 PM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Excellent addition to the archives was this episode. Dennard was great and definitely talked me off the ledge.

Congratulations, gentlemen on the hitting a major milestone!

re: pronunciation, on air the announcer said it like "Treh-von' Due-val' ". I never to the guy, so i can't say.
    Additionally, regarding leadership, it might be worth considering that 2 of the other 5 non-Fr. on the roster, were not near 100%. Bolden sat out entirely and DeLaurier played, and did ok but he was not at 100%. Vrank played, but neither J-White nor J-Rob did anything significant. Unfortunately, none of Vrank, White or J-Rob have really played enough to be able to lead via productivity, although it's possible they could lead vocally or by example. It's just gonna be hard to get on-court leadership if the only experienced players don't play, or are unable to play.
    Last edited by DukieInBrasil; 01-09-2018 at 10:48 AM.

So where did Kenny end up getting his MBA?

Wow, I became a fan at 9 years old in 1978. I had to go to bed at halftime of the championship game vs Kentucky because I had school the next day.

I don’t think I’ve missed a PODCAST (thank you guys).

Now, THAT WAS AN AMAZING INTERVIEW.

It was awesome how he talked current team and history. The stories were amazing.

Coot

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    I guess we moved too quickly to ask! Next time we have him on, we'll have to ask.

We've had some fun interviews on the podcast, but Kenny was the best so far. When Jason told us we were interviewing him for #100, I knew we were in for a treat.

Thanks again to everybody who listens to the show. Speaking just for myself, it's a joy to do it.

I absolutely loved this episode! Kenny is so much fun to listen to! Great stories. Jamie is a very lucky girl that Dennard and Banks have so little regard for authority!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

That was a GREAT interview! Thanks for the fantastic episodes and keep up the good work!
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

Kenny was huge! Fun episode, you guys hit it out of the park!

We moved to Durham in August of 1977 as I started my sophomore year of high school. I was never one to follow the crowd; so it was easy to be a Duke fan when most the kids in my high school were future Cheats. What great timing. Dennard became my favorite; he was so fearless. I think we could all learn a little lesson from his optimism. Great Podcast. Keep up the good work.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    This was a freaking awesome podcast! I loved the teams Dennard played on. If I recall, KD was the first ever Duke player to do a two hand reverse dunk, and in those days the rims were tight and did not give in/pull down. I loved listening to him on this podcast.. both his inputs on the State game, and his awesome stories. I think KD should be a regular guest host on the Podcast to provide insight on team performance in that weeks game, speak to the team's development, while also asking questions to guests that you guys have on the podcast. If he could even do that once per month or something that would be great.

I do hope KD is reading this thread because I have a story for him regarding his Sr Year/Final Home game in Cameron. Apologies to those DBR folks who have heard me tell this!

So on the day of that game, I was 14 years old and in the hospital with appendicitis. It was really bad the night before the game, but even though I needed surgery, back then in the days before arthroscopic surgery and the doc just didn't want to cut open a 14 yr old if he could avoid it. So game day arrives, and I am still feeling terrible so they keep me in the hospital to monitor my condition. The doc had given the nurses strict instructions to keep me quiet and resting. On the day of the Duke/unc game, I'm supposed to be quiet? yeah good luck with that. My mom was there and we watched the game in my room together. When Banks hit the shot KD mentions in the podcast, I go nuts, screaming and hollering. The nurses came rushing in and tell my mom she has to keep me calm and quiet and I should take a nap and rest. LOL. Not a chance. When the final buzzer sounded and Duke had won I was going crazy again. At some point the nurses just gave up on it.

I got to meet KD a couple of years ago at the real Tailgate on Blue Devil Alley. Very cool experience. He treated me like a friend he had known forever and chatted with me a good 10 minutes or so which was really cool. Very cool guy and I hope he becomes a semi-regularly guest hosti

Keep up the great work on the pod cast guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    This was a freaking awesome podcast! I loved the teams Dennard played on. If I recall, KD was the first ever Duke player to do a two hand reverse dunk, and in those days the rims were tight and did not give in/pull down. I loved listening to him on this podcast.. both his inputs on the State game, and his awesome stories. I think KD should be a regular guest host on the Podcast to provide insight on team performance in that weeks game, speak to the team's development, while also asking questions to guests that you guys have on the podcast. If he could even do that once per month or something that would be great.

I do hope KD is reading this thread because I have a story for him regarding his Sr Year/Final Home game in Cameron. Apologies to those DBR folks who have heard me tell this!

So on the day of that game, I was 14 years old and in the hospital with appendicitis. It was really bad the night before the game, but even though I needed surgery, back then in the days before arthroscopic surgery and the doc just didn't want to cut open a 14 yr old if he could avoid it. So game day arrives, and I am still feeling terrible so they keep me in the hospital to monitor my condition. The doc had given the nurses strict instructions to keep me quiet and resting. On the day of the Duke/unc game, I'm supposed to be quiet? yeah good luck with that. My mom was there and we watched the game in my room together. When Banks hit the shot KD mentions in the podcast, I go nuts, screaming and hollering. The nurses came rushing in and tell my mom she has to keep me calm and quiet and I should take a nap and rest. LOL. Not a chance. When the final buzzer sounded and Duke had won I was going crazy again. At some point the nurses just gave up on it.

I got to meet KD a couple of years ago at the real Tailgate on Blue Devil Alley. Very cool experience. He treated me like a friend he had known forever and chatted with me a good 10 minutes or so which was really cool. Very cool guy and I hope he becomes a semi-regularly guest hosti

Keep up the great work on the pod cast guys!
    Great story! Thanks for sharing.

One correction: Laparoscopic.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

The nonchalance with which Kenny describes Kevin Costner hitting on his wife was one of my favorite parts of this epic podcast.

Agreed. Which makes me think...was this Bull Durham time frame?

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    The nonchalance with which Kenny describes Kevin Costner hitting on his wife was one of my favorite parts of this epic podcast.
    Mine too, and it was one of several dry humor one-liners he dropped in casually throughout the podcast. Great stuff! I really hope he becomes a regular guest host.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    I wound up going to UNC's Kenan-Flagler Executive MBA for a year but then was recruited to Houston in 1995 for a new job. So I did not finish the program and have been here ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I wound up going to UNC's Kenan-Flagler Executive MBA for a year but then was recruited to Houston in 1995 for a new job. So I did not finish the program and have been here ever since.
    For skeptics, I want to assure you the above message is from the real Kenny Dennard. We don't get former players posting here all the time so please treat him with respect and do no bombard him with PMs.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

DBR delivering the goods yet again! I still remember when Shane Battier made an appearance on these forums. That was an awesome day. So cool to get a response from “the guy everybody confuses with Luke Kennard.”

Thanks for all the kind comments!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    For skeptics, I want to assure you the above message is from the real Kenny Dennard. We don't get former players posting here all the time so please treat him with respect and do no bombard him with PMs.
    To all thread mates: I enjoy reading your posts and you can send me PMs as long as you don't expect any quick responses.

I love Duke as much, and maybe more, than anyone else on this planet. You may not know this, but Duke was last place in the ACC for four straight years before I arrived on campus in the Fall of 1977. And before my senior year season in high school in 1976 when Duke was sucking, I was Coach Foster's first "early commitment", years before "early commitments" were even a thing. I just had a gut feeling that Duke was the place for me, and I was right. Fortunately for me, too, Gene Banks chose Duke in the Spring of 1977! Hahahaha! But seriously, I owe almost everything I have in life to my Duke experience.

Regarding this year's squad, tonight's win at Miami was a good example of freshman growing up a little bit more each game under pressure. And when Grayson comes out of his mid-season slump, watch the f&ck out!

#GoDuke

-KennyD
    Attached Images Attached Images

Did not expect to get a personal shout out on the podcast for my finger counting second half stat, so that was pretty cool. I was driving to the slopes with the fam that evening, so probably best that I didn't run out of fingers. Thanks guys and keep up the good work! On to the next 100 episodes!
    "There can BE only one."