Page 8 of 180 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

West to East

Quote Originally Posted by GiveNGoBasketball View Post
    haha that's why I'm here
    Your sentiments are exactly the same as Taylor King and Oleg Cryz. They came they saw- and left. My best wishes to you and your endeavors.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Your sentiments are exactly the same as Taylor King and Oleg Cryz. They came they saw- and left. My best wishes to you and your endeavors.
    Or someone like Kyle Singler or DeMarcus Nelson. They came, they saw, and one of them even left with a title. I agree with others that it's not always easy to find a recruit who will be happy 3,000 miles from home, but it does happen.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    Or someone like Kyle Singler or DeMarcus Nelson. They came, they saw, and one of them even left with a title. I agree with others that it's not always easy to find a recruit who will be happy 3,000 miles from home, but it does happen.
    But Markie would go back to the west coast and train in the sand wearing a weight vest - he might be considered unusual.

Kyle. He's iron.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    Mike Dunleavy and Carlos Boozer also left with a title, while Steve Gray, Scott Goetsch, Mark Alarie, Jay Bilas, Cherokee Parks, Eric Meek, Taymon Domzalski and Trajan Langdon made it to the title game.

We could throw in a little Ricky Price for seasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Mike Dunleavy and Carlos Boozer also left with a title, while Steve Gray, Scott Goetsch, Mark Alarie, Jay Bilas, Cherokee Parks, Eric Meek, Taymon Domzalski and Trajan Langdon made it to the title game.

We could throw in a little Ricky Price for seasoning.
    Parks and Meek were also on the '92 title team, though only Cherokee was part of the rotation that year

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Parks and Meek were also on the '92 title team, though only Cherokee was part of the rotation that year
    Yep. Thanks for that. I was thinking of '94 but they were on the '92 team and Parks did play a fair amount.

So, the '91 team was the only title team without anyone from the west coast.

Trey Lyles picks up an offer from K

Recent Hoosier decommit, Trey Lyles got a scholarship offer from Coach K. A power forward with range to the 3, solid athleticism and skill joins PG Tyus Jones, Wings Theo Pinson and Justice Winslow as well as the bigman Jahlil Okafor as 2014 prospects holding a Duke offer. Looks like an incredible five, would drag Michigan's fab five of old.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Wait, I thought Jabari Parker was the LeBron James of his class who we'd only see once or twice a decade? You mean there are two of them in two years? (And if Wiggins reclassifies, two in a single year?) Hmm.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Yeah, these once-in-a-decade players only come around every year or two.
    Yeah, I hear that each is the "once-in-a-lifetime" player of his class.
    If Wiggins reclassifies... wow, isn't that sort of like a "what if matter and anti-matter meet" sort of question???

Quote Originally Posted by rhynelander View Post
    Recent Hoosier decommit, Trey Lyles got a scholarship offer from Coach K. A power forward with range to the 3, solid athleticism and skill joins PG Tyus Jones, Wings Theo Pinson and Justice Winslow as well as the bigman Jahlil Okafor as 2014 prospects holding a Duke offer. Looks like an incredible five, would drag Michigan's fab five of old.
    Those are 5 absolutely premier players (Scout has them all in the top 13 of the class), and they more or less range across all five positions on the court.

I'd be happy with two of them, ecstatic with three.

For what it's worth, Scout seems to hint at Lyles liking Kentucky and/or UNC.

We'll see how it shakes out.

- Chillin

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by rhynelander View Post
    I hadn't heard about the Lyles kid. Sounds interesting. With what we already have and expect to have, even a couple of these recruits would make us a super competitive team.

Tyus Jones Diary

Maybe Tyus should get his own recruitment thread so people see this? Or perhaps it's too early still. In any event, Crazies better be on their game and chant his name when he visits for CTC (with Jahlil Okafor as well)! (See linked article.) Tyus says he and Jahlil are "planning to play together in college," he's coming off surgery to a torn ligament in his thumb, and is a big Fresh Prince of Bel-Air fan. He's doing a monthly diary entry for USA Today throughout the season.

http://www.usatodayhss.com/news/arti...nd-more--10011

I’ll be at Duke for their Midnight Madness on Oct. 19 then I’ll probably spend a little time there Saturday and head over to North Carolina after...I’ve heard that Cameron Crazies are just insane for their team and really loud so I’m looking forward to that. I know they’re famous for chanting the names of recruits they want so I don’t know if they’ll chant my name, but of course I would think that was pretty cool. That would be a good feeling. I’ll definitely be on the lookout for it.

Fresh Prince...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Maybe Tyus should get his own recruitment thread so people see this? Or perhaps it's too early still. In any event, Crazies better be on their game and chant his name when he visits for CTC (with Jahlil Okafor as well)! (See linked article.) Tyus says he and Jahlil are "planning to play together in college," he's coming off surgery to a torn ligament in his thumb, and is a big Fresh Prince of Bel-Air fan. He's doing a monthly diary entry for USA Today throughout the season.

http://www.usatodayhss.com/news/arti...nd-more--10011

Epecting to see/hear "Fresh Prince of Cameron" references at CTC...

Gary Clark

Anyone know if Duke is looking at Gary Clark from Clayton, NC? I know him personally, and he would be a great fit at Duke. Hard worker, polite, and a great ball player. He is 6'7" and growing. He reminds me of a Jon Henson-type player. He is getting looks from at least a couple ACC schools, and I think he could be All-ACC. I'd love for Duke to land him!

Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    Anyone know if Duke is looking at Gary Clark from Clayton, NC? I know him personally, and he would be a great fit at Duke. Hard worker, polite, and a great ball player. He is 6'7" and growing. He reminds me of a Jon Henson-type player. He is getting looks from at least a couple ACC schools, and I think he could be All-ACC. I'd love for Duke to land him!
    I have not heard his name in connection with Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I have not heard his name in connection with Duke.
    That's too bad-- do you have any connections who can get a scout to take a look at him play? He'll have recruiters all over him soon. I heard he already got an offer from ?Clemson. He always has said he is open to Duke when I have talked to him, and he encouraged someone from Duke to contact him if they are interested. Just an idea...

That's too bad-- do you have any connections who can get a scout to take a look at him play? He'll have recruiters all over him soon. I heard he already got an offer from ?Clemson. He always has said he is open to Duke when I have talked to him, and he encouraged someone from Duke to contact him if they are interested. Just an idea...
    It's not really my place to say it, but you might want to be careful when contacting a recruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    It's not really my place to say it, but you might want to be careful when contacting a recruit.
    I hear you! I don't want to do anything that is not 100% legal. I really think this kid deserves a look by Duke. I just don't know the best way to make that happen. Maybe Duke has their eyes on enough players already...

I hear you! I don't want to do anything that is not 100% legal. I really think this kid deserves a look by Duke. I just don't know the best way to make that happen. Maybe Duke has their eyes on enough players already...
    The best way to get Duke to notice him is for him to really perform at the big AAU camps and tournaments during the summer. He is high enough ranked and plays on a good enough AAU team so that he will get a chance to perform during the summer AAU season with plenty of recruiting evaluators and coaches watching. If he does well, I am sure Duke will hear about him.

But, for the most part, Duke rarely recruits kids who are not among the top 30 or so players in the class. Gary Clark is nowhere near that kind of ranking at this time (I believe he is just barley among the top 10 players in the state of North Carolina at the moment). It is also worth noting that Duke only recruits kids who have shown the kind of academic achievement and commitment that would allow them to succeed at Duke. So, merely being one of the top 50 or players in the country is not enough.

-Jason "I tend to trust K and his staff to identify all the kids who fit our profile... " Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Thanks, Jason. I always appreciate your comments and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    But, for the most part, Duke rarely recruits kids who are not among the top 30 or so players in the class.
    Yet Marshall Plumlee (#68 on Scout), Tyler Thornton (unranked on Scout), Olek Czyz (87 on ESPN), and Miles Plumlee (47 on ESPN) found their way on the roster. So it happens, not infrequently.