New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

WBB: Duke 71 Temple 64

Halftime, and Duke is down by 1...31-30. So far the ladies have shot MUCH better, currently at about 40%. (Not great, but compared to last game...whew.) What they aren't showing is that characteristic pressure D. If they were playing defense like they have been, Temple would be limited to 20 points. So far, Temple only has 9 TO's compared to our 10, and they are outrebounding us 18 to 15.
    Coach P in the locker room is most likely getting on them to show some spirit and attack the boards. If they do that in the second, we'll be ok. Karima is having a solid game, as well as Krystal Thomas. Nice outside shooting from the team, so far 5-10 from beyond the arc.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

WBB: Duke vs. Temple

Duke is down 31-30 to (unranked) Temple at the half. Let's hope it's just a little rust in the first half. Shake it off, Devils!

Duke is being out-hustled, and is giving up far too many offensive rebounds. This looks exactly like the first game after a long layoff. Somebody needs to light a fire under our team. Time for some senior leadership.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Duke is being out-hustled, and is giving up far too many offensive rebounds. This looks exactly like the first game after a long layoff. Somebody needs to light a fire under our team. Time for some senior leadership.
    That's the key I think...they need to get fired up. I'm betting we see a different attitude in the second. I was commenting in chat (Section 21) that the crowd looks large, but is pretty lifeless..they could help too if they got into the game.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

9:00 mark..Duke is picking up their D and pressuring like they are known to do. 9 pt lead now.

Temple's a pretty good team. They're going to make some noise in the A-10. But I think we've finally figured this one out.

Shay must be hanging out with Dre and Seth. Three for three on threes.

Damn. Where has this Shay Selby been for the last two years?

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Shay must be hanging out with Dre and Seth. Three for three on threes.
    She's fun to watch. Duke's D is on now, and offense is beginning to follow. Duke is getting called for a cartload of fouls.

Temple not going away. Three-possession game with 1:40 to go.

Kudos to Temple. They played a great game, excellent defense. Some insane outside shooting made it a 4 point game late.
    Great games by Karima Christmas and Krystal Thomas.
    We wound up winning the rebound war, tied in TO's, and shot 45% overall. (57% from three!)

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Kudos to Temple. They played a great game, excellent defense. Some insane outside shooting made it a 4 point game late.
    Great games by Karima Christmas and Krystal Thomas.
    We wound up winning the rebound war, tied in TO's, and shot 45% overall. (57% from three!)
    Karma kept us alive in the first half, where our offense consisted of her driving to the basket, missing but getting fouled. Shay won it in the second half with her four 3s. Jasmine had a pretty poor game, missing too many easy shots.

No surprise, our defense is going to win our games,I worry when we play a good offensive club. Don't know anything about Kentucky, I hope they're not that team. Tough stretch coming up, with Kentucky, Maryland and then FSU all ranked.

Back to our offense for a minute, it really looks like five individuals out on the court too often. A lot of one on one dribbling. Chloe makes some good passes to the interior, but too often when she's dribbling the ball, her head is down, and doesn't look for the pass. Haley seems to have some good instincts with the give and go and pick and roll, but doesn't get the pass. Plus, she appears a little overwhelmed right now with the pace of the game. Krystal made some nice left handed drives tonight (I believe she's become amphibious) but isn't the most instinctive player and needs to look for the ball more. If Shay can continue to hit from outside, that should open up some inside shots for Krystal, Alison and Karima.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Chloe makes some good passes to the interior, but too often when she's dribbling the ball, her head is down, and doesn't look for the pass.
    It's those little things that don't translate well on video. That's a nice observation..and also something that as a freshman she will have some time to work on. I've been really impressed with much of her play, and the other freshmen as well. Tricia Liston has been a bright spot also.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It's those little things that don't translate well on video. That's a nice observation..and also something that as a freshman she will have some time to work on. I've been really impressed with much of her play, and the other freshmen as well. Tricia Liston has been a bright spot also.
    Thanks for the comment. While all five have had typical freshmen problems transitioning to the college game, our future looks really good. We'd get clobbered by any of the real top three (UConn, Baylor and Stanford, from what I'm seeing right now on TV) but with our current freshmen, and next season's group, I think we'll be the top team in two years.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Karma kept us alive in the first half, where our offense consisted of her driving to the basket, missing but getting fouled.
    well, it MIGHT have been karma but I did mean Karima.

How Duke Beats UConn

Duke is capable of doing a lot of the things that Stanford did tonight, and have one asset that Stanford didn't use.

Here's how Duke wins.

(1) Believe
    (2) Be more physical than UConn. Turn the lane into a mosh pit.
    (3) Never ever let Maya Moore touch the ball without a defender right in her face. Force her to put the ball on the floor, and channel her into help.
    (4) The thing Stanford surprised me by not doing more was they didn't pound the ball inside to Petersen. Krystal Thomas is a lot better than UConn's post players. She has to touch the ball on every possession, and she has to dominate.
    (5) UConn's zone is vulnerable if the ball gets into the high post.If UConn goes zone, we go big, and AV and KT work high-low (show them lots of film of how Mistie and Ali Bales used to do it). AV has to be willing to put it on the floor and drive from the high post.
    (6) It would be helpful if someone steps up and has the kind of night that Pohlen had for Stanford.
    (7) Get up early, and take the home crowd out of the game. The way UConn-Stanford unfolded reminded me of the Duke-Tennessee game in 2007, when we opened the game with a 19-0 run and the Vols never quite made it all the way back. Stanford's opening 17-4 run forced UConn to play from behind, and Stanford had an answer whenever it looked like UConn might get back in it.

Congrats to the Cardinal players and staff. Fantastic effort.