Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    Just saw on twitter, DeShawn Painter will NOT return to NCSU due to illness in the family. Tough break for Painter the Wolfpack no question, but even though Painter is a center you have to think this opens more minutes up should Jefferson be interested.
    Painter is from Norfolk.

This could help State with Amile a lot. It could also kill State's season if Calvin goes pro. All that hope in Raleighwood will come crashing down.

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    Just saw on twitter, DeShawn Painter will NOT return to NCSU due to illness in the family. Tough break for Painter the Wolfpack no question, but even though Painter is a center you have to think this opens more minutes up should Jefferson be interested.
    It certainly opens up more minutes at the backup PF at State. Painter was the third big last year and as such played plenty of time at both PF and C. Next year, they'll add Vandenburg back to the rotation. I would have expected like 15-20mpg for Painter, 5-10mpg for Vandenburg, and 5-10mpg for Harris, with Howell and Leslie getting the rest of the minutes (anywhere from 45 to 55 depending on foul trouble). Without Painter, I'd expect Vandenburg's minutes to equal basically equal 40 - Howell's minutes. That leaves 10-15 mpg (maybe more, if Vandenburg isn't up to the challenge and De Thaey can't fill that role as the third C) at the PF. Those minutes would presumably be picked up by either Harris, De Thaey, or Jefferson (if he goes there).

Basically, Painter's departure sort of frees up time, but not enough to be a deal maker in my opinion. Leslie is the key to big minutes at State. If he stays, there won't be more than 10-15 minutes (at the most) available to Jefferson next year. If Leslie goes, Jefferson will compete with Harris for the starting spot.

It definitely hurts State as a team, though. Painter was the only guy suited to play both PF and C for them. So he provided a very useful player off the bench. They were going to potentially have a very deep and versatile frontcourt with Painter, Vandenburg, and Harris coming off the bench and De Thaey available in an absolute crisis. Now, it puts a lot more importance on Leslie returning and Harris/Vandenburg/De Thaey being useful backups.

Interesting Twitter Tid-Bit...

BlueDevilNation: "Every single move made changes the big picture in which recruit will go where. Kentucky making a huge late push for Jefferson."
    Posted 5:52pm

Not sure what this means, yet, but I have a feeling we'll know in about 3 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    BlueDevilNation: "Every single move made changes the big picture in which recruit will go where. Kentucky making a huge late push for Jefferson."
    Posted 5:52pm

Not sure what this means, yet, but I have a feeling we'll know in about 3 hours.
    May mean Muhammad to UCLA and Noel to Georgetown, as widely speculated.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Or Muhammad to Duke and Noel to Georgetown.

90 minutes away.

Pathetic that there is such anticipation for this, but I guess that's part of being a sports fan.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Agree Completely

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Or Muhammad to Duke and Noel to Georgetown.

90 minutes away.

Pathetic that there is such anticipation for this, but I guess that's part of being a sports fan.
    Extremely pathetic that so many care so much about where an 18 or 19 year old is going to play basketball for one year.

SoCal

Hilarious! My friends tell me that it's widely speculated that both go to UK.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    Extremely pathetic that so many care so much about where an 18 or 19 year old is going to play basketball for one year.

SoCal
    Ya think so? Millions of Americans do it every year. There are people that get paid BIG MONEY to sit in the stands and WATCH 18 and 19 year olds.

Oh we care. This is big money baby...

SoCal
    Yet you're here on this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Hilarious! My friends tell me that it's widely speculated that both go to UK.
    That's my speculation, as well.

How important is Jefferson to Duke now?

I think it is pretty important Duke gets a 4, that can develop and start contributing in 2 years, and be a glue guy.

If Kentucky doesn't get Noel it sounds like cal is going full bore after this kid, how high was this kid on Kentucky in the first place?

SoCal
    No, it's called having fun and rooting for/being a part of something bigger than yourself. What you said sounds like something that someone who doesn't understand what this is all about would say.

I really love basketball. 18/19 year olds just happen to be at the age where they are in their peak physical form to play this game. Many will never be able to run and jump quite as well a couple of years down the road after a few seasons of wear and tear in the NBA. They are also at an age where they are not yet millionaires and still "susceptible" to a little coaching.

It's a much better form of escapism, for me anyway, than watching a bunch of people getting shot/murdered/whatever passes for TV and movies these days. Or hanging out a bar to smoke cigarettes, drink too much, and speak lewdly about women.

I know this is a tad preachy, but you did just call a bunch of people's fun activity "extremely pathetic". I am glad that I have this.

So, Noel to Kentucky. Does this change Kentucky's new push for Jefferson, or does it not make that much difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    18/19 year olds just happen to be at the age where they are in their peak physical form to play this game. Many will never be able to run and jump quite as well a couple of years down the road after a few seasons of wear and tear in the NBA.
    I'm not sure I agree that 18/19 is peak physical form. There are a few 18/19 with the needed muscle mass and while this varies for many players, I don't think saying 18/19 is accurate for most.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    So, Noel to Kentucky. Does this change Kentucky's new push for Jefferson, or does it not make that much difference?
    My Two Cents:

I think Jefferson waits on CJ Leslie and perhaps TP to make up their mind, then he announces shortly after.

I don't see him going to UK now as playing time won't be quite so abundant with Noel and Poythress in the lineup.

Then it comes down to Duke vs. State and if Leslie leaves, he's going to State and if Leslie comes back, he goes to Duke unless TP unexpectedly announces for Duke, then who knows?... Maybe Villanova?

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Can't see how. Even with Noel, Kentucky needs bodies, period. If everyone leaves (which is expected) they're down to about six high-major players.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chill View Post
    How important is Jefferson to Duke now?

I think it is pretty important Duke gets a 4, that can develop and start contributing in 2 years, and be a glue guy.
    Agreed that it would be big for down the road, especially because he'll eventually be a back-to-the-basket scorer wherever he goes, which is rare.

However, like the rest of these decisions, it won't be make-or-break by any means. If he doesn't come, we'll still have our 4-man rotation this year, a great pitch for Julius Randle next year (or possibly slide Jabari Parker down to play alongside Murphy/Sulaimon/etc), and who knows what will happen in 2014; the staff has a good relationship with Jahlil Okafor, who could potentially play alongside R-JR MP3 to give us a heckuva frontcourt.

Can't see how. Even with Noel, Kentucky needs bodies, period. If everyone leaves (which is expected) they're down to about six high-major players.
    True, but they really need guards. Right now, their legit players are really

Harrow
    Goodwin
    Poythress
    Wiltjer
    Noel

PF/C - Cauley

...with Poythress also able to spend some time at the 4 if Jon Hood comes in at wing, or something. I actually think PF is their deepest position, as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I'm not sure I agree that 18/19 is peak physical form. There are a few 18/19 with the needed muscle mass and while this varies for many players, I don't think saying 18/19 is accurate for most.
    Muscle mass to run and jump? I'm talking about stuff like Grant Hill's famous dunk as a freshman in the 1991 National Championship game, Corey Maggette at Duke, etc. etc.