Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Wow, poor form on JWill's part. I was unaware how close Mason was to graduating. I had always assumed that the double-major declaration made it less likely he'd leave early. But if he's only 2 classes away from completing his degree, that might have been faulty on my part. I still do suspect that Mason is going to go, but definitely poor form on Williams' part with that tweet. He should know better.
    What's ironic is that Williams' own decision to stay or go was notoriously gun-jumped by another Duke graduate. Do we all remember Seth Davis seemingly swearing on the graves of all four grandparents that J-Will was going pro after his sophomore year? This case isn't nearly as egregious, but I suppose that's because few people are as egregious as Seth Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    I mean... have you seen this happen once in college basketball this year? A defender driving to the left side of the rim, contested in the air by a defender, and sneaks the shot across his body, right over the defender's forehead, with his right hand? Honest question.

Both of those moves seem like sneaky attempts to compensate for not having the natural advantage of your body and off-hand to create separation and extension. A left-handed layup on the left side of the rim is a pretty basic fundamental of basketball, regardless of whether you can think of ways to circumvent it.
    Rivers did it often, most of the time getting slammed to the gound before he could come close to getting his shot off. Everyone here says that he doesn't have a leftr hand so how else does he get a right hand shot up going left. By the way, sneaky is good, Kyrie is nothing but sneaky. As for elevation, Marshall, Kyrie, Hurley, Ferry, Laetner elevated? Vladie elevated? If a guty has even three inches on you and has hops, you try to shoot that lefty finish and it gets blocked, period. You tell me a single time you say anyone succeed at it this season, actually even try it.

By the way, the sneaky move is actually common place on all levels and, when they are/were not dunking, Kobe and before him MJ finish[ed] near the rim with their right in much the fashion I describe. You see the same type move on baseline drives from the left or drop steps from the left sidewhen someone drives baseline from the left side, or drop steps and bounces (Hansborough is far from the only one who moved the ball around in the air, sneaky like to avoid the block and/or draw a foul. And, if you want to move the ball around, try doing it with your off hand.

You usually see small guards using their right not their left when coming from the right side of the circle, having beaten their defender and bringing the ball up with their right hand as a big defender comes from their right. You want an example? Curry and his older brother, but there are many others who finish underhanded at the front of the rim with a defender coming from their right. Sneaky? It's physics and playing off how shot blockers go about trying to do their thing.

And, if you don't see suich finishes more it is NOT because players are using their left hands; it is because even small guards who are built powerfully and/or are tricky and quick off their feet, get way above the rim and throw it down, almost always with two hands. Their quickness and explosiveness off their feet make contesting such dunks almost always futile.

As for a lack of big guys back in the 60s, Russell, Wilt, Walt Belemy, Willis, Nat Thurman, Jerry Lucas to name a the pros who come to mind. They all played in college, as did lots of other seven footers (the Ivies had two when I was at Cornell), and many, many 6'-7" to 6'9 shot blockers. You take the pros I mentioned and they make the current lot look like school yard kids when it comes to guarding the rim. And, in addition to Earl, think Elgin Baylor who invented the move we are speaking of and trust me nobody got a piece of it.

And, if high school players were shorter in the sixties, 6'4" to 6'5" guys with hops and amazing coordination were commonplace. They had something like 6 to 8 inches on most guards, and 2-3 inches on many forwards. Larry Brown was going up against Art Heyman and lots of other leapers his size on Long Island, including a guy named brian McSweeney who captained UNC in '63 andplayed alongside a sophomore named Billy something. Believe me, while Billy could jump, there were lots of other guys in Brooklyn when he played that could get up themselves, most of whom never went to college. The game then was, however, played abelow the rim, the refs actually called fouls when a guy creamed an offensive player after a clean block in the air, and they even called walking when guys finished, which I have yet to see happen on these strolls often taken when these players dunk--there was no such thing as coming to a jump stop and being able to move both feet before shooting like there is now.

Just saw the shot by a forward from Syracuse. Saw a guard going to right side of rim earlier, interior defender made him bow out a little and throw the shot high in the air and miss.

Think Steve Nash, Rose, and the guy on the Knciks.

Just remembered, the other Rose, Jalen, I blieve the wrong foot and all, often.

Both would benefit from staying another year in college. That's not always the case. Sometimes they are ready to go and go (take Irving last year). Sometimes they are ready to go and stay (take Hansbrough for a non Duke example). The fact that either could leave now and be drafted simply shows how ridiculous the NBA is where a kid is drafted on what someone thinks he can do while passing up on kids who have already shown what they can do.

Mason has all the physicality, but doesn't seem sure of his game and as a result wildly inconsistent. Austin improved a ton and has an awesome game, but could definitely add some of the physical aspects. I'd be shocked if they stayed and I felt the same about them next year.

Actually with Mason it might not shock me cause I've thought that every year so maybe now is the time to strike when the iron is hot.

Austin is going pro and signing with an agent according to CBS

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Not particularly shocked by this. Would have liked to have seen him stay but if his people tell him he is ready and he can go in the draft somewhere he is comfortable with I can't say I blame him. Best of luck if this turns out to be an accurate report.

ouch

Well at least it was a painless process and not drawn out with Austin. You had to figure he got good info from Doc and the fact that he left Durham for Orlando yesterday was a pretty good indicator. Wishing him the best in the NBA, sad that this year didn't turn out better. A top 12 pick in my opinion.

Good Luck

I wish him the best. Although the year as a whole didn't turn out the way we (and, of course, he) would've liked, he was a stellar freshman and emerged to some extent as a leader in a team that lacked one.

Hopefully our next month or so of recruiting goes really well.

Quote Originally Posted by HCheek37 View Post
    Well at least it was a painless process and not drawn out with Austin. You had to figure he got good info from Doc and the fact that he left Durham for Orlando yesterday was a pretty good indicator. Wishing him the best in the NBA, sad that this year didn't turn out better. A top 12 pick in my opinion.
    I would think Coach K gave Austin info as well and that K gave Austin his blessing. While I think he could've used one more year to physically mature and hone his guard skills, I think it might work out for both sides because this move will keep us in the running for Shabazz, and to no fault of his own, i wonder if some of the chemistry problems this year's team had was due in some part to Austin and guys not adjusting well to his talent and personality.

This reminds me of the similar shakeup to the '99 team shakeup and the transition we had with the 2000 team that led to a NC in 2001. I beleive next year's team will have better chemistry and be a better team than this year's team.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Good for him. It was his dream, and he's chasing it.

In regards to our team, I am sure that I am in the minority, but I think we will be just fine IF Mason stays.

Point-I believe Cook can be a dynamic player and will be the starter. Tyler would be an excellent back-up
    Shooting Guard - Austin's departure allows Seth, Dre and Sheed to compete at their natural position
    Three - Silent G and Alex could fill this spot. Maybe Shabazz?
    PF - Ryan, Alex and Josh will do just fine
    Center - Mason and Marshall. Mason could be an All-American if he plays well.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    I would think Coach K gave Austin info as well and that K gave Austin his blessing. While I think he could've used one more year to physically mature and hone his guard skills, I think it might work out for both sides because this move will keep us in the running for Shabazz, and to no fault of his own, i wonder if some of the chemistry problems this year's team had was due in some part to Austin and guys not adjusting well to his talent and personality.

This reminds me of the similar shakeup to the '99 team shakeup and the transition we had with the 2000 team that led to a NC in 2001. I beleive next year's team will have better chemistry and be a better team than this year's team.
    C'mon. This was not a one person issue. Not fair and smells of sour grapes.

Good luck to Austin.

Not so fast!

Jeremiah rivers is with Austin and he says a decision has not been made yet. Per twitter

If the reports are true, then good for Austin. He's pursuing his dream. He's going to be a late lottery guy most likely, and that is awfully hard to pass up.

He busted his butt for us this year, and you cannot ask for anything more.

Good luck, God bless and cannot wait to see him grow into a really good NBA guard who Coach K can point to with young recruits as a Duke success.

I hope I don't win the Final Four tickets in ATL next year now! With all jokes aside, good luck subzero.

According to Duke Men's Hoops Twitter feed:
    "Austin Rivers is discussing his future plans with his family this weekend; an official announcement is expected next week."

I can't link because I'm blocked here at work.

I think it's inevitable, though.

Good luck to you, Austin, no matter what you decide. I would have liked to see you for another year, but we all know things work out the way they are supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    C'mon. This was not a one person issue. Not fair and smells of sour grapes.

Good luck to Austin.
    Not at all....I love Austin and would love to have him back next year as a leader of the team; and I certainly wasn't trying to imply that any issues with this year's team was a one person issue involving Austin. If it comes across as sour grapes, I apologize because it wasn't my intention. It's just my opinion that it was clear that this year's team had chemistry issues (among other things) and I don't think it's far fetched to think that some of the other players had trouble meshing their talents with his. And for the record, I don't think it was Austin's fault if that was true.
    Last edited by Class of '94; 03-23-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: clarifying my post

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Good for him. It was his dream, and he's chasing it.

In regards to our team, I am sure that I am in the minority, but I think we will be just fine IF Mason stays.

Point-I believe Cook can be a dynamic player and will be the starter. Tyler would be an excellent back-up
    Shooting Guard - Austin's departure allows Seth, Dre and Sheed to compete at their natural position
    Three - Silent G and Alex could fill this spot. Maybe Shabazz?
    PF - Ryan, Alex and Josh will do just fine
    Center - Mason and Marshall. Mason could be an All-American if he plays well.
    Completely agree. Austin is a very good player but replaceable. Mason coupled with Miles graduating is a much more significant blow. That's 16 rebound/game. Our best returning rebounder would be Kelly at just over 5 per game.

You guys really think he's pro-ready? He is undersized, still has some issues staying in-check, and does not do one thing great.

I understand the sentiment of being happy for the guy, but objectively speaking, I think he may have a tough time adjusting... a very tough time.

Last year I was upset Kyrie left, but that was my personal selfishness. He was obviously pro-ready and if that's what he wanted, he made the right decision. I think Coach K definitely told him that too.

This Rivers situation does not feel the same.