Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    florida is #1 and not #1 in the south because of the way the brackets paired up. The NCAA (as was stated at the top of the telecast I believe) wants to try to get the #1 #1 to play the #4 #1 if all four #1 seeds advance. In doing so, there would have to be a mild degree of shuffling, especially since they don't reorder the brackets once they get to the final four site. So if Florida is #1 and Kansas is #4 and you put Florida in the South, then Kansas has to be sent to the East and then you move NC to the midwest and OSU to the west potentially.

This would have been a bit more of a big deal before the NCAA went to the pod system, but now that they mix and match regions at the first round sites, it's less of an issue.
    This is not correct. A few years ago, the NCAA changed things so the Final Four pairings wouldn't be decided until after the brackets are set. In other words, they'd place the 4 #1 seeds in regions, then put the #1 overall's region against the #4 overall's region.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Well, I assume you'd be doing this hoping he can give us some inside offense, right? Trouble is, his offense hasn't been particularly good this year. We know about his traveling problems, and VCU's quickness would give him a lot of trouble, because he's still having trouble adjusting to the speed of the game. Plus, I don't believe in zone defense in genreral, and I certainly don't believe in desperate measures at this time of year. I want Duke to get back to playing man-to-man the way they did earlier this year. That's how they'll win in the Tourney. Any time spent working on a zone takes away from that.
    Hear, hear. Why on earth would we abandon our man defense, which a few weeks ago was one of the best in the country, for a defense the team hasn't played, probably hasn't practiced and that K hates?

Quote Originally Posted by devildownunder View Post
    I was fully aware that we played Air Force and Marquette on a neutral floor this year when I was complaining about the schedule earlier.

I do not disagree with your contentions re: scheduling, an area of conversation that has grown increasingly insular over the past two decades. Some of that is the result of few really consistent programs over that stretch who are out of conference, and some are very real philosophical differences regarding scheduling which work both ways.

I noticed you mentioned Arizona in a previous suggestion, and while others can retell the story better than I can, I think it is safe to say that during the K-Olsen eras the likelihood of rekindling that matchup are nonexistent.

Quote Originally Posted by koolaidRAM View Post
    Hello All. I am a fan from VCU, and just wanted to come over and check out your boards.

We are very excited that we have a chance to play Duke in the first round. We know how strong you are, but I think you will agree with me that this year you have been more beatable than in past years.

With that said, I'll give you a little more info on VCU.

For starters, you are all correct in saying that VCU is a guard oriented team. We have 2 senior guards in BA Walker and Jesse Pellot-Rosa. BA walker is the schools all-time leader in 3-point shooting, and 10th all time scoring. Jesse Pellot-Rosa is a strong guard with a sweet stroke on the 3-point shot and a big build that gives him the ability to penetrate. It's not uncommon to see him lead the team in rebounds.

Now we come to your worst nightmare, Eric Maynor. He's a sophomore point guard who can carry this team on his back. He's the reason we beat George Mason in the final. He creates shots out of nowhere, he'll break your ankles off the dribble, and is 5th in the nation in assists. If there's a shot for someone on the team, he finds it.

Now to our inside play. You say we're weak inside, and have a size disadvantage, but I beg to differ. Our inside starter, Wil Fameni, is mis-listed on our site as 6-7. Not that being 6-8 makes a difference, but he plays big and can hold down the paint. Then we have Calvin Roland, who is a senior and has really been stepping it up this year. Roland is 6-10 and plays huge. Inside play is something that I worried about in the beginning of the season, but since the last game we played we were 1 for 13 from 3-point range, having those big guys who can play to net us about 30 points between the two of them.

To finish it off, we have 2 great bench threats in TJ Gwynn and Jamal Shuler. Gwynn is a redshirt freshman and probably the most intense player on our team. He can play inside and outside and really puts some fuel into our teams fire. The real 6th man threat you should worry about it Jamal Shuler. Many times this year he's come off the bench and been our leading scorer. He can shoot 3's, he can pentrate, he can play defense as good as anyone, and he'll sacrifice himself for the ball or the shot or anything. I don't think I've seen 2 minutes go buy without this guy hitting the deck...but in a good way. he plays hard ball.

Some of you don't think that we press, or that we won't. You are sadly mistaken. We press ALL GAME. FULL COURT. Our coaches motto is "94 feet both ways". We are a fast paced team and have the ability to wear any team down. It doesn't matter to us if we're up by 20 or down by 20, we're in your face the whole game. So get ready for a lot of running.

I think that's enough for my first post. If anyone has any questions about VCU, feel free to ask. Hopefully I'll be seeing some of you in buffalo.

Regards

Weclome koolaidRAM and thanks for the great notes on VCU. I strongly fear that Duke will overlook the Rams' talents, and I know the Rams' will play the game of their lives.

Best of luck to you!

There is no way that Zoubek does this without averaging one foul every two minutes.

what if, and i'm seriously just throwing this out here, we played some zone and let him rebound and try to block shots? better defense against dribble penetration, maximize our height advantage, etc? Don't say it can't happen!

TV station for Thursday game...

Goduke.com lists the Thursday game against VCU to be telecast by CBS at 7:00pm

i thought i read 610

on cbssportsline but maybe i read it wrong

There's no way it's 6.10pm Eastern if the game is also in the Eastern time zone (Buffalo). The afternoon sessions in the Eastern time zones start at noonish, then you need the break between sessions. Gotta be 7-oh-something at the earliest.

710PM Eastern Time

The podcast of the Duke Basketball Report w/Coach K states the Duke/VCU game is 710PM in Buffalo.

Md vs. Davidson is at 1220PM Thursday in Buffalo
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    There's no way it's 6.10pm Eastern if the game is also in the Eastern time zone (Buffalo). The afternoon sessions in the Eastern time zones start at noonish, then you need the break between sessions. Gotta be 7-oh-something at the earliest.

that's not correct. There is always a swing game. One game that bridges the gap between the 3 and 4 game late-afternoon sessions and similar evening sessions.

But in any case, it looks like this game is at 7:10 p.m., ncaa.com has it at that time. What's odd is it changed. It used to have us playing at 6:10.

Quote Originally Posted by duke03 View Post
    There is no way that Zoubek does this without averaging one foul every two minutes.
    How would we average 1 foul every two minutes if he were on the backline of a 2-3 or 3-2 zone? That's a nice trick. It's not like he'd actually have to step out and guard somebody.

I'm just trying to figure out how we might maximize our height advantage. That's all. It's just an idea and not presented as gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by FewFAC View Post
    I noticed you mentioned Arizona in a previous suggestion, and while others can retell the story better than I can, I think it is safe to say that during the K-Olsen eras the likelihood of rekindling that matchup are nonexistent.
    Yeah, apparently that's the case at this point. That's most unfortunate. I know jim calhoun won't be coming to CIS any time soon either. There are always possibilities, though. I wonder if Oregon is willing? Probably not, they've lost two big in-state recruits to us recently. Still, there has to be somebody. I mean, honestly, if the program has managed to alienate every other upper-tier program in the country then we've got bigger problems than scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by BluBones View Post
    Hear, hear. Why on earth would we abandon our man defense, which a few weeks ago was one of the best in the country, for a defense the team hasn't played, probably hasn't practiced and that K hates?
    this team has played zone, whether K hates it or not.

And in case you hadn't noticed, our defense lately (let's see, how do I put this in a nice DBR-friendly way that won't get me banned) has not been exemplary in recent contests.

that's not correct. There is always a swing game. One game that bridges the gap between the 3 and 4 game late-afternoon sessions and similar evening sessions.
    Sure, but it's never in the Eastern time zone. The swing game exists because it's the second game of the day session somewhere like Boise or Salt Lake or (this year) Spokane.

In order for a game played in the Eastern time zone to begin at 6pm, the first game of the day would have to begin at 11am local (Eastern) time, and in all the years I have followed NCAA Tournaments that has never happened.

Well, I assume you'd be doing this hoping he can give us some inside offense, right? Trouble is, his offense hasn't been particularly good this year. We know about his traveling problems, and VCU's quickness would give him a lot of trouble, because he's still having trouble adjusting to the speed of the game. Plus, I don't believe in zone defense in genreral, and I certainly don't believe in desperate measures at this time of year. I want Duke to get back to playing man-to-man the way they did earlier this year. That's how they'll win in the Tourney. Any time spent working on a zone takes away from that.

Not talking about his post offense, just his rebounding and some size in the lane on d, for after they break down our guards with dribble penetration.

It may not be something we need to worry about mcclure and nelson are pretty good on the boards going up against guys larger than them. They should be just fine against vcu's front line. It seems to me, however, that if these guys are quick and love to press and play up-tempo, it would be a good idea to grind it out, play half-court, crash the boards, cut down our turnovers and pack the lane against their dribble drives on defense. My thinking was that Z could help just a bit in that regard. Not with his low-post offense.

I think we should try the option offense. What's to lose? Greg Paulus used to be a QB.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Just because the ACC/Big10 Challenge game isn't a home-and-home contract between the schools doesn't mean it should be ignored. I understand your point that we should go to opposing gyms more often, but the ACC/Big10 Challenge provides that for us every other year. If you know you're getting a good road game out of that matchup, contract or no, you take it into consideration when scheduling. I'm not saying that we shouldn't play on the road more (your overall point); I'm just saying that when we DO play on the road, you can't discount it just because it's not a true home-and-home series.

Secondly, I think this was just an offhand comment, but I don't remember us being 'shell shocked' last year when we started 7-0 on the road in conference, or the year before that when we started the ACC 2-0 on the road. So I also disagree with your point that we are routinely unprepared for our first ACC road game, as that seems to be a situation unique to this season.

On a side note, I do find it ironic that last year, the biggest win on Georgetown's resume was against Duke. This year, the exact opposite was true.

First, the ACC/Big Ten challenge does not guarantee us a true road game. We have played some of our road games in that series on the other team's home floors. We have also played many of those games on neutral floors. I attened our 2001 game against Iowa, which was played at the United Center in Chicago. We also played Illinois in Chicago one year. The other two road games we have played were, in fact, in the opponent's gym.

Second, even if they all were in the opponent's gym, that's just one game. And one that we were forced to play. That game by itself isn't enough. I do agree that you must take it into account when scheduling and when evaluating the schedule.

Now about being shell-shocked. Last year's team was loaded with seniors, including its two best players. Of course they knew what the road was like in the ACC. This year's team in extremely young, and that's when you really need to get them some experience. When JJ and Shelden were freshmen in 2002-03, they played a preseason schedule with no true road games on it. They ventured into an opponent's gym for the first time against Clemson on January 5 and won easily. On January 18 -- Just six weeks before the end of the season, mind you, they visited Maryland for their first real road test of the season -- with predictable results. Maryland won 87-72 and the team dropped its next 3 road games as well, by an average of more than 10 points in game. Meanwhile, that same team won every single home game it played that season.

Home and the real road can be night and day for teams but I think the likelihood of that happening drops considerably if you get out there and let the kids see what it's like early on.

I'm sorry, I know I can go on about this. It's just something I feel passionately about. I'm extremely concerned about how our current scheduling philosophy is affecting the teams and the program.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I think we should try the option offense. What's to lose? Greg Paulus used to be a QB.
    As long as one of the options is "actually score without almost turning the ball over two or three times," I'm all for it.

Now about being shell-shocked. Last year's team was loaded with seniors, including its two best players. Of course they knew what the road was like in the ACC. This year's team in extremely young, and that's when you really need to get them some experience.
    Except there was no discernable difference between Duke at home and on the road this year. Duke lost its first ACC home game to VT. Duke then went to GT and lost there too. They were hardly shell-shocked -- wasn't the game tied with a few minutes left? Duke then went on the road and kicked the crap out of Miami. Duke destroyed NCSU in Raleigh. Duke played much better at Clemson than at home vs. Clemson. Did with the two B.C. games. Again, this team was 4-4 in conference both home and away. The evidence doesn't support the argment that the team was any less prepared to play on the road than it was to play at home.

Except there was no discernable difference between Duke at home and on the road this year. Duke lost its first ACC home game to VT. Duke then went to GT and lost there too. They were hardly shell-shocked -- wasn't the game tied with a few minutes left? Duke then went on the road and kicked the crap out of Miami. Duke destroyed NCSU in Raleigh. Duke played much better at Clemson than at home vs. Clemson. Did with the two B.C. games. Again, this team was 4-4 in conference both home and away. The evidence doesn't support the argment that the team was any less prepared to play on the road than it was to play at home.

I don't know about you Jumbo, but I see a big difference between crumbling down the stretch against a somewhat young Ga Tech team that barely qualified for the NCAAs and losing in overtime to an extremely seasoned Va. Tech team.

I do agree, however, that this team adjusted to life on the road very quickly. This has not always been the case, especially when we have been very young (see my earlier post with info about the 2002-03 team).

Now, imagine they got that first real roady out of the way a bit sooner. Like, say, the week before that first conference game. We might actually have one more conference victory. And what might that have done for our ACC seeding? And, ultimately, our NCAA seeding? The point is that even in a situation like this, where the guys seemed to adjust remarkably quickly to the road, they did, imo, have that initial stumble. I say, get it out of the way against a good non-conference opponent. And get your team's development started early.