Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by southgater View Post
    Good point - I forgot about the timeout situation.
    Yes the 0 timeouts left for Butler was the key component of the decision. I remember thinking he should have Zoubek miss, but it took real fortitude to make that call on the court for the National Championship. The abuse from sportscasters if the Butler shot goes in would have been amazing. The press rarely criticizes if a coach goes "by the book", but has a field day if an innovative call doesn't work out.

Talking K Decision an Easy Way Out for Writers

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    Yes the 0 timeouts left for Butler was the key component of the decision. I remember thinking he should have Zoubek miss, but it took real fortitude to make that call on the court for the National Championship. The abuse from sportscasters if the Butler shot goes in would have been amazing. The press rarely criticizes if a coach goes "by the book", but has a field day if an innovative call doesn't work out.
    It's an easy column either way. Since Hayward missed, although it was close, the writers get to walk the dog back to the decision by K for an intentional miss. There were other decisions, such as why did Zoubek miss to Hayward's side or would the ref have called the moving screen on Howard.

One positive for the decision that I haven't seen referenced was that Hayward shot while running at full speed, which meant the speed of the ball was higher, which -- just like in putting -- makes the hole or the basket a lot smaller. We've all seen analysis which showed that a minor change in trajectory (arc) and direction would have gone through the basket, but we haven't seen a thorough analysis of all slight variations in the two. (Don't we have a naval gunner around here someplace?) Fact is, it was a really hard shot, especially on the run.

sagegrouse

Even though we didn't win this year I thought I would remind people that a year ago today we won the NC. Hopefully this will put a lot of people in a better mood

Quote Originally Posted by wtm001 View Post
    Even though we didn't win this year I thought I would remind people that a year ago today we won the NC. Hopefully this will put a lot of people in a better mood
    Oh, thank you, that was lovely.

1 Year Anniversary...

Championships are forever and these videos will never get old:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vNrhDPsosQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbJiEd7Y47M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrurx57Jlsk

2011-12 can't wait.....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Randolph View Post
    Championships are forever and these videos will never get old:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vNrhDPsosQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbJiEd7Y47M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrurx57Jlsk

2011-12 can't wait.....
    One of the most magical nights of my 42 years. So blessed to be able to witness it all one year ago on this date in Indy. Thanks guys.

Every 4 brings tears to my eyes...

Sigh...

I am switching from satellite to cable tomorrow. Just finished the game one last time before i have to say goodbye to my old dvr. I come to this website everyday but i do not like to post very often but tonight i just had to bring this thread back at least one more time. After the last couple of weeks we have had i figured it might be good for everyone to remember how great this team was. What a great team and year. It was nice to see a young Mason on the floor looking almost lost and seeing how much he has improved. Good times and great memories.

Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by chadlee989 View Post
    I am switching from satellite to cable tomorrow. Just finished the game one last time before i have to say goodbye to my old dvr. I come to this website everyday but i do not like to post very often but tonight i just had to bring this thread back at least one more time. After the last couple of weeks we have had i figured it might be good for everyone to remember how great this team was. What a great team and year. It was nice to see a young Mason on the floor looking almost lost and seeing how much he has improved. Good times and great memories.

Go Duke!
    Nice!

Talk about living in the past. Lol.

Just kidding (to a degree). But this seems like a different lifetime. Which is a sincere compliment to the unparalleled program that K has built in Durham. Amazing.

Seeing the Brian Zoubek story on the front page, my first thought was "National Champion!"

I still have my ticket hanging on the wall of my office!
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I still have my ticket hanging on the wall of my office!
    Same here. Have my ticket hanging on my wall at home. Two, actually. Went to the game with my sister, a big Duke fan because of me, and kept it for her.

That was one of the five best day of my life. That I can say unequivocally. The walk out of the arena and drive home was pure bliss. Better than any drug. (Not that I know what those are like or anything.)

While on the one hand it seems like 10 years ago, I can remember every moment like I am still there. Like the Ice Cube song, it was a good -- great -- day.

You can always watch the game again here:

NCAA Vault

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    You can always watch the game again here:

NCAA Vault
    Have done it plenty of times!

I think that night was the last time I've cried...maybe once since then idk...I partied for an entire week at school after this

I still have it on DVR...

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by chadlee989 View Post

Go Duke!
    Interesting timing. I have Dish Network and I recently decided to upgrade to their new "Hopper" with "Joey's" system, which is pretty cool. Thanks to my daughter getting a TV for her Bday last week, I now have 5 TV's and needed to get cable to her room. So Dish came today to hook me up with a Hopper and 2 Joey's for 3 of the TV's, and a second Hopper and 1 Joey for the other two TV's. Each Hopper and Joey put out a true 1080p signal. But enough of the techo geek stuff.

They of course took out my old HD DVR receivers and I lost the Baylor game, West Virginia & Butler games plus two UNC games, one of which was the Rivers bomb.

I do have the Butler game on DVD, but looks like I have some DVD's to purchase from GoDuke just like you.

Regarding the game, I still maintain that the most nervous I have even been in my life was during the Timeout with 13 seconds left in the game, where Butler would have the ball down 1 when play resumed. Longest timeout ever in my opinion. I was about to have a nervous breakdown...

I was getting nervous just watching the tape of the game tonight, even though I knew what would happen. I had completely forgotten about our forcing Butler to call a TO on the inbounds pass with 13 seconds left. That play may have won us a championship.

Just do it again on April 8! This senior class would be the first since the Class of '94 with 2 NCs.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Interesting timing. I have Dish Network and I recently decided to upgrade to their new "Hopper" with "Joey's" system, which is pretty cool. Thanks to my daughter getting a TV for her Bday last week, I now have 5 TV's and needed to get cable to her room. So Dish came today to hook me up with a Hopper and 2 Joey's for 3 of the TV's, and a second Hopper and 1 Joey for the other two TV's. Each Hopper and Joey put out a true 1080p signal. But enough of the techo geek stuff.

They of course took out my old HD DVR receivers and I lost the Baylor game, West Virginia & Butler games plus two UNC games, one of which was the Rivers bomb.

I do have the Butler game on DVD, but looks like I have some DVD's to purchase from GoDuke just like you.

Regarding the game, I still maintain that the most nervous I have even been in my life was during the Timeout with 13 seconds left in the game, where Butler would have the ball down 1 when play resumed. Longest timeout ever in my opinion. I was about to have a nervous breakdown...
    It's up on iTunes for about 2 or 3 bucks! Got it not long ago

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post

As I do agree with you on almost all accounts. I also had the Baylor, WV, and the Austin Rivers shot plus more(82-50). One thing i might disagree with a little is as long as that time out was i still dont know if it was as long as that ball was in the air on the last shot. My heart stops every time that ball is in the air no matter how many times i watch it.