Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NHL Playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    To be honest, obviously an enjoyable game and a pretty epic finish from a Rangers' fan's perspective, but it left me very concerned about the team. The inability to create solid scoring chances is really frustrating. Holtby has played well, but for the most part I think the Rangers have just failed to get good shots on him, even while controlling the puck well in the offensive zone, more than he's stoned them. When it's such a struggle to score goals, you're constantly flirting with disaster.

But yes, that was certainly a thrilling finish. (And I am certainly grateful that they not only won, but allowed me to get a good night's sleep to boot).
    Yes, I agree. The Rangers' offense has been horrible for the most part - and the power play has been pathetic even though the game tying and winning goals were on the PP. But their defense and Hank have been outstanding.

Winning games like that and the triple OT game are what you need to win the Cup, and the Rangers are starting to get that team of destiny kind of feel. A Rangers - Devils conference finals series would be awesome.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

It seems that the Caps strategy throughout the playoffs has been to barely commit to offense, keep the scoring way down, and somehow catch a winning goal. They've executed that strategy remarkably well. They beat a much better team the first round playing one-goal games, and are giving a second better team all they can handle doing the exact same thing. I do not know that this series with the Caps is any measure of how well the Rangers might fare against an opponent with a conventional aproach. I certainly do not think that, should they prevail against the Caps, anything can be said about the Rangers but that.

Hunter, as I see it, has distinguished himself in the playoffs, as has his team.

Ward's game winner was off a brilliant play--he came from an open position on the offside of the net, circled around two defenders instead of trying to crash through them, and got to the position where the rebound came, where it was most likely to come, and which had to have been vacated by the shooter's momentum. Brilliant.

Ward's penalty, by contrast, was accidental. Painful as it was, I don't see that it makes Ward the goat of anything.

The Rangers were able to keep the puck within 15-20 feet of the goal for well beyond far too long during the entire period, especially during the final 5 minutes. That's what won the Rangers' the game--it could have happened in any number of ways. The Capitals did far too little to deserve to steal that game, at least that is the way I see it.

It took long enough, but hockey is finally back (tentatively - we should never assume these clowns can't still screw it up). It dragged on so long, I'd almost prefer waiting for a full season in the fall, but I know that once the first puck drops on broadway, I'll be enjoying all the action.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412844
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Well, if anyone else was watching the finals tonight, holy crap, what a finish!
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Life long Chicagoan and longtime Blackhawk fan...
    That finish was like the Gone in 64 Seconds game at Maryland except that this was for the Stanley Cup.

Pure exhilaration. Amazing series. Great for the sport.

Now I can breathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Well, if anyone else was watching the finals tonight, holy crap, what a finish!
    My team wasn't in it, but wow, that had to be one of the best endings ever.

Glad someone's finally talking about this series, even if it's over!

I was afraid it had to be the Caps, Rangers, or Canes in the Finals for this board to even pay attention.

That was a superb series. I love that (a) the teams hadn't seen each other (or even anyone in their opponent's conferences) all season, so there was just no telling what to expect [a nice silver lining from the lockout, I guess], and (b) that it turned out they were incredibly evenly matched. I love that they'd both won the Cup recently and what that brought to the table - both teams completely respected one another, they were never overwhelmed by the moment so the hockey was top-notch from the first faceoff, the eventual winner was going to seen as a budding dynasty regardless of which one it was. This was professional, high quality, try to score goals hockey, unmarred by cheapness or cynicism or neutral zone traps. It capped one of the better playoff seasons in recent memory, too - the Bruins' miracle comeback against Toronto, the Hawks coming back from 3-1 down to the Wings, the last four champions meeting in the Conference Finals. Great for the sport.

Jonathan Toews is this generation's Steve Yzerman. He's captained two teams with significantly different personnel to titles, and he just turned 25.

Has there ever been a Cup Final game where both goalies were pulled before last night? That was a crazy finish. I hadn't even finished absorbing the anticipation of another overtime before the tables had turned and Boston was looking for a chance to get Rask out of the net.

That was fun!

As a Blackhawks fan, I am biased of course. But, MAN was that series fun to watch. Every game but one went to the wire. But goalies were fantastic with the exception of one game.

I was basically resigned to a game 7 when Toews found Bickel for the equalizer. When Bolland shoved home the winner my wife and I lost it.

The duo of Toews snd Kane are terrific, and the Hawks have figured out the formula by having a big boy as the thrird member of that line. Sharp and Hossa are underrated key contributors, while Shaw and Saad have a lot of promise. And while it wasn't his best playoffs ever, Keith is a stalwart in defense. Hopefully this group can stay intact for a bit more.

Kane can play, that's for sure, but his mullet bothers me.

patrick-kane-playoff-mullet.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post

This is a mullet:

jaromir-jagr-hair.jpg
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    This is a mullet:

jaromir-jagr-hair.jpg
    Yes but he realized what a tool he looked like and it's no more (at least that version).

Edit: It just looks like a bad Halloween wig, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post

The mullet is not a strong look. Especially reprehensible given that he's not Canadian. It's a good thing he can score goals...