Austin Rivers on the Fab Five

If this should go in the Austin Rivers thread, please move it, but as it relates to the Fab Five documentary and Grant Hill's response, I thought it would be worthy of a new thread.

If you have a chance to read this piece Austin wrote for ESPN about his thoughts on the Fab Five documentary, I highly recommend it. It's very impressive to see how aware he is about things for a high school senior. Good to have him as part of the Duke family.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/comme...=rivers/110324

Quote Originally Posted by dcdevil2009 View Post
    If this should go in the Austin Rivers thread, please move it, but as it relates to the Fab Five documentary and Grant Hill's response, I thought it would be worthy of a new thread.

If you have a chance to read this piece Austin wrote for ESPN about his thoughts on the Fab Five documentary, I highly recommend it. It's very impressive to see how aware he is about things for a high school senior. Good to have him as part of the Duke family.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/comme...=rivers/110324
    Thanks for posting the article. Great read! Austin is highly impressive not only as a basketball player, but also in his maturity at such a young age, and I'm sure he'll be a great ambassador for the program in the future. I have no doubt Austin is going to be one of the most hated players by non-Duke fans due to his great basketball abilities and also his swagger (which opposing fans will say is arrogance, but I see as confidence!). That's a compliment to him, though. Greatly looking forward to seeing Austin next season in Duke blue!

Good article... I have gotten the feeling that Austin does not mind, even relishes the opportunity to be disliked, which is very different from most kids his age. He seems like a kid who you can't get under his skin because he already understands whats coming. Look forward to seeing him next year... but first, on to tonight.

Smart kid. Surprisingly 'aware' and articulate for his age. I think we're going to be very proud to have him in Duke Blue (and I don't just mean on the court).

Quote Originally Posted by ajgoodfella7 View Post
    Good article... I have gotten the feeling that Austin does not mind, even relishes the opportunity to be disliked, which is very different from most kids his age. He seems like a kid who you can't get under his skin because he already understands whats coming. Look forward to seeing him next year... but first, on to tonight.
    Had to of been a selling point in his recruitment right?

Enough about this we got 'Zona tonight! Let's Go Duke!

I absolutely love to see things like this. I think it says a lot about someone when they are able to speak eloquently through their writing. Although he rambles on a little bit, which is to be expected, he makes some very interesting points about growing up in a wealthy household. I enjoyed reading what he had to say and the more I see from this kid, the more I believe that he will somehow get Kyrie to come back for another year.

But that's besides the point...

Well done, Austin.

Very well said by Austin. Proud to have him coming to Duke!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

That is one very observant and unusually thoughtful kid. Very glad that he thought enough of us to sign on for the Duke BB experience. I like how he didn't just rip into the UM players but tried to see things from their perspective. Perhaps he'll get a "you don't know how I felt!" but I have a feeling he inferred correctly.

It's easy to run the Fab 5 down - they didn't win any championships, not even in conference, and they brought shame on themselves and their own school through NCAA violations. But were they not the first team of all-freshman starters to reach an NCAA title game? I guess they brought their "style" too - that doesn't count for much in my book, but the former was pretty darn impressive even though they got together for the wrong rea$on$. (upon looking up the scandal, it appears only Cwebb took the money, among the Fab 5; there were others but they were not among the Fab 5).

I'm glad we got the guys we got. Webber was a dominant player, but I'm glad that if he was after $$ as a college player, he didn't find it at Duke.

I liked the article...

Hi,

Were the tenses at times incorrect? I realize the content is what matters here. I read the article quite quickly, so it might be my mistake.

GO DUKE!

I love this kid already.

He says "my mom is white and my dad is black, so I'm covered" HILARIOUS!!!

They're hypocrites because they would say, "People shouldn't judge us because we wear baggy pants and our black socks," but then you shouldn't be judging Grant for going to Duke. That's where they wanted to go. That's where they wanted to make their future. They're not any different from you.
    That's gonna leave a mark.