Page 61 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263711111615611061 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Talking DFHead Palo Santo Marron

This is a wonderful brown ale that is aged in special wood, and it has a whopping 12% alcohol content. Nose is aromatic, woody/winelike. Pours a dark brown, almost black, with a well-built head. Good, strong bitterness, but a very smooth, fragrant taste. Let me say that the alcohol content is deceptive; you can definitely find the alcohol in the aftertaste, but it's a very nice taste.

All in all, this is one of the best, innovative tastes I have had in a long time. Although it is described as having "caramel and vanilla complexity," I never found it. I didn't care. The taste was smooth, strong, flavorful, and complete.

Thanks to devildeac for this selection.

Ymm, Beer ...

Yep... four emoticons.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

ymm, beer humor

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Seven Mules Kick I'm a real wanker for saying thisI'm a real wanker for saying thisI'm a real wanker for saying this Ale (really, that's the name of the beer)-Mishawaka Brewing Company-I got one of the golden colored ales. Clear, not cloudy. Kind of a cross between an IIPA and a barleywine with piney/sprucey notes but no cannibis or floral tones. I think their web site description of a "summer barleywine" is pretty accurate as the hops are there, but not over-powering and there is some malty smoothness to it. There is also a hint of honey (probably not brewed with honey, however) making it a bit smoother than your typical barleywine. I'd have another of these (but I think I will trade next week with someone who really wants to try this). I'll try to get a Duvel or Chimay in return.
    Funny re: "I'm a real wanker for saying this..."

They even put a little warning in the upper right corner of the label that says:
    "Caution: We will kick your a__!"

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    This is a wonderful brown ale that is aged in special wood, and it has a whopping 12% alcohol content. Nose is aromatic, woody/winelike. Pours a dark brown, almost black, with a well-built head. Good, strong bitterness, but a very smooth, fragrant taste. Let me say that the alcohol content is deceptive; you can definitely find the alcohol in the aftertaste, but it's a very nice taste.

All in all, this is one of the best, innovative tastes I have had in a long time. Although it is described as having "caramel and vanilla complexity," I never found it. I didn't care. The taste was smooth, strong, flavorful, and complete.

Thanks to devildeac for this selection.

Ymm, Beer ...

Yep... four emoticons.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    I thought you'd like that selection (huge grin here!). Plus, I don't think it's a seasonal or special release and IIRC, should be available year round.

ATTN: rockymtdevil-you really need to find a 4 pack of this one (friendly reminder from a month ago or so)

I thought you'd like that selection (huge grin here!). Plus, I don't think it's a seasonal or special release and IIRC, should be available year round.

ATTN: rockymtdevil-you really need to find a 4 pack of this one (friendly reminder from a month ago or so)
    Still haven't seen any. I only seem to be able to get 60/90 Minute, Indian Brown, and Raison D'Etre on a regular basis. I still see some 120 Minute and Raison D'Extra around. I think I'll ask the guy who owns a great liquor store around here about it next time I'm in there.

Great Divide Hades Belgian Ale: Full disclosure, I'm friends with one of the owners, so my reviews are probably biased. But, this is a good, lighter version of a Belgian Golden Ale. In this style I usually drink Salvation Ale by Avery, and that's a much bigger beer. Hades is very floral and sweet. Lots of honey and cloves, and also a lot of grass (which gives it almost a wheat beer taste). ABV is around 7% so it isn't a lightweight, but isn't over the top either.

As an aside (and this might go better in the recipe thread ) Great Divide puts food pairing recommendations on their bottles (and their website). With Hades it suggested mussels and crusty bread, which seems right. Classic Belgian beer with a classic Belgian meal (although I might suggest switching french fries in for the bread).

We have just arrived home after two weeks in Ireland. I am absolutely positive that the Guinness there is different than what is served or sold here. I also drank several Murphys and a few Harps. Bud Light was considered an import (well, it is of course, but you know what I mean) I passed and kept the local economy going. The Guinness tour was great. There is a great bar on top of the building. It has a 360 degree view of Dublin. The people in the Pubs were very friendly. One even gave me a shirt.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    Still haven't seen any. I only seem to be able to get 60/90 Minute, Indian Brown, and Raison D'Etre on a regular basis. I still see some 120 Minute and Raison D'Extra around. I think I'll ask the guy who owns a great liquor store around here about it next time I'm in there.

Great Divide Hades Belgian Ale: Full disclosure, I'm friends with one of the owners, so my reviews are probably biased. But, this is a good, lighter version of a Belgian Golden Ale. In this style I usually drink Salvation Ale by Avery, and that's a much bigger beer. Hades is very floral and sweet. Lots of honey and cloves, and also a lot of grass (which gives it almost a wheat beer taste). ABV is around 7% so it isn't a lightweight, but isn't over the top either.

As an aside (and this might go better in the recipe thread ) Great Divide puts food pairing recommendations on their bottles (and their website). With Hades it suggested mussels and crusty bread, which seems right. Classic Belgian beer with a classic Belgian meal (although I might suggest switching french fries in for the bread).
    If you get to the Triangle area, call/PM me-I am saving you a 4 pack. Or, if you get to the Lexington, KY area, let Lavabe know as I saw that at his favorite store, the Liquor Bar.

I see some of the Great Divide products here in Raleigh so I may have to sample one or three.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    We have just arrived home after two weeks in Ireland. I am absolutely positive that the Guinness there is different than what is served or sold here. I also drank several Murphys and a few Harps. Bud Light was considered an import (well, it is of course, but you know what I mean) I passed and kept the local economy going. The Guinness tour was great. There is a great bar on top of the building. It has a 360 degree view of Dublin. The people in the Pubs were very friendly. One even gave me a shirt.
    I have always heard that Guinness brews their stout with different recipes, depending on where in the world (is Carmen San Diego, oops, wrong stage of my life) they are sending it.

I have always heard that Guinness brews their stout with different recipes, depending on where in the world (is Carmen San Diego, oops, wrong stage of my life) they are sending it.
    That is correct. We did learn about that on the tour. There was a testing room where they let us sample a 2.9 ABV brew that was being made. Like water. BTW, IIRC, the country that the most Guinness exported to it is Kenya, or so it was said on the tour. Rats, now that I say that I am not certain, although I know it was an African country. In the bar at the factory it seemed as if they were pouring a couple of different types--even if you did not like the beer, the shamrock the tenders were "carving" into the foam were neat.

If you get to the Triangle area, call/PM me-I am saving you a 4 pack. Or, if you get to the Lexington, KY area, let Lavabe know as I saw that at his favorite store, the Liquor Bar.

I see some of the Great Divide products here in Raleigh so I may have to sample one or three.
    Preemptively: I'm using the random "pottymouth" computer, so if there are any in this post, sorry. I'm housetting this weekend and brought this computer with me.

I won't be in the Triangle for football season afterall but I'm hoping to make it for Alumni weekend in the spring. If that happens, I'll look forward to the Palo Santo. I did just see that one of my favorite bars is having a DFH night on Friday after the evening session of the GABF and they will have it on tap that night. If not, DFH will be my first stop on Saturday night.

Ohioguy, agree on Guiness in Ireland. It's been a few years, but I remember having the same reaction. I assume you enjoyed Dublin? The irish countryside is great (love Cork) but Dublin is just such a fun city.

Good News!

With nights getting colder here in Colorado (6-12 inches of snow in the high country tonight), winter beers are on their way in. New Belgium 2-Below, Avery Jubilation, and Great Divide Hibernation, just to name a few, should all start to appear in stores and bars in the coming weeks.

Any winter seasonals that folks suggest keeping an eye out for?

ymm, beer

With nights getting colder here in Colorado (6-12 inches of snow in the high country tonight), winter beers are on their way in. New Belgium 2-Below, Avery Jubilation, and Great Divide Hibernation, just to name a few, should all start to appear in stores and bars in the coming weeks.

Any winter seasonals that folks suggest keeping an eye out for?
    Schlafly Winter Ale-check their web site for other seasonals
    Full Sail-Wassail Ale and Old Boardhead Barleywine
    Deschutes-Jubelale
    Bridgeport-Ebenezer Ale and Old Knucklehead Barleywine
    Alaskan Smoked Porter
    Sierra Nevada-Celebration Ale and Bigfoot

Thinking midwest and west coast for the moment.

ymm, beer

Breckenridge Brewery-Extra ESB-one of their 471 small batch series-mediocre ale-I am fairly fond of ESBs and thought this sounded intriguing as an Extra ESB-kinda like an imperial something-extra malty with very mild hop balance-kinda bland and cardboardy-I don't think this was spoiled as it did not smell or taste skunky and the Breck 471 series is sort of a new concept, IIRC. I really liked the 471 IIPA. I have 1 more bottle of this as I think Lavabe got 3 and I gave my son a single so I'll be interested in what the Lexington reviewer thinks of this one. I'll have the other bottle in a week or so and may post an entirely different review or just a "see prior review" if it's not much different.

Breckenridge Brewery-Extra ESB-one of their 471 small batch series-mediocre ale-I am fairly fond of ESBs and thought this sounded intriguing as an Extra ESB-kinda like an imperial something-extra malty with very mild hop balance-kinda bland and cardboardy-I don't think this was spoiled as it did not smell or taste skunky and the Breck 471 series is sort of a new concept, IIRC. I really liked the 471 IIPA. I have 1 more bottle of this as I think Lavabe got 3 and I gave my son a single so I'll be interested in what the Lexington reviewer thinks of this one. I'll have the other bottle in a week or so and may post an entirely different review or just a "see prior review" if it's not much different.
    I look forward to the subsequent reviews of this beer from you and Lavabe. I also enjoyed the 471 IIPA and have contemplated the ESB before and never pulled the trigger.

A few weeks ago I had posted thoughts on Avery's The Beast and incorrectly asserted that it was the 2008 vintage when it was, in fact, 2007. Tonight I found three bottles of 2008 left at a store (maybe three of the last bottles in the city) and snatched them up. Did not crack one open tonight though, so reviews will come later.

I did pick up and crack open some New Belgium Abbey Ale. This is a Belgian Double (or Dubbel). It pours pretty dark with a lot of head that is thick and lasts for a while. Very light, crisp, and sweet on the nose with heavy banana and clove notes. The taste includes the banana and adds dark fruit (cherries, dates) and brown sugar. Beer needed to warm a bit in order to get these darker flavors. Behind only 2-Below, this rivals Mothership Wit as my second favorite NB offering.

ymm, beer

I look forward to the subsequent reviews of this beer from you and Lavabe. I also enjoyed the 471 IIPA and have contemplated the ESB before and never pulled the trigger.

A few weeks ago I had posted thoughts on Avery's The Beast and incorrectly asserted that it was the 2008 vintage when it was, in fact, 2007. Tonight I found three bottles of 2008 left at a store (maybe three of the last bottles in the city) and snatched them up. Did not crack one open tonight though, so reviews will come later.

I did pick up and crack open some New Belgium Abbey Ale. This is a Belgian Double (or Dubbel). It pours pretty dark with a lot of head that is thick and lasts for a while. Very light, crisp, and sweet on the nose with heavy banana and clove notes. The taste includes the banana and adds dark fruit (cherries, dates) and brown sugar. Beer needed to warm a bit in order to get these darker flavors. Behind only 2-Below, this rivals Mothership Wit as my second favorite NB offering.
    I hate you (jk). I long for trips to Colorado to drink this ale, their triple and some Fat Tire, but not necessarily in that order. I may have to make regular purchases of the Avery products at Whole Foods to verify your tastings this fall/winter.

I hate you (jk). I long for trips to Colorado to drink this ale, their triple and some Fat Tire, but not necessarily in that order. I may have to make regular purchases of the Avery products at Whole Foods to verify your tastings this fall/winter.
    I could be wrong, but I've been told NB is expanding their distribution eastward (this according to my dad who is a distributor in Ohio, but doesn't do beer). Could be nothing but unsubstantiated hearsay. Or, you could be seeing these beers in your area in the future.

As for Avery, my guess is you can get the Holy Trinity in NC (Hog Heaven Barley Win, Salvation Golden Ale, The Reverend Belgian Quadrupel) all year. The first two are great. The Reverend can be a little too sweet for me, but is a decent after dinner beer. The other trilogies are tougher to find. They are the Dictators (The Czar Imperial Stout, The Kaiser Imperial Oktoberfest, and The Maharaja IIPA) and the demonic series (The Beast Belgian Grand Cru, Samaels English Strong Ale, Mephistopholes Stout). Anything you can find of the latter is fantastic, especially Samaels.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Local Breweries

Has anyone toured the Red Oak Brewery or Carolina Beer? I always think about stopping by Red Oak as I pass it on the way to Greensboro from Durham, pretty cool being able to see the huge vats through the big plate glass windows from the highway. I know Carolina Beer gives tours. I'm not a big fan of their beer, but I do like the Carolina Blonde. (beer, mind you)

Red Oak

Carolina Beer

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

New kit on the way, bottling Thursday

I'll be bottling my Scotch ale on Thursday, and if the timing is right, brewing the Dunkel Weiss I ordered. It's been a long time since I brewed a black beer, I've been anxious to try this one, since it's a black wheat ale. The Scotch will be ready for drinking by the State game, so I'll be bringing some to the tailgate...if I have any left. The Dunkel will be ready by UNC, and probably whatever I order next will be ready also. I'm thinking a Belgian Red.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'll be bottling my Scotch ale on Thursday, and if the timing is right, brewing the Dunkel Weiss I ordered. It's been a long time since I brewed a black beer, I've been anxious to try this one, since it's a black wheat ale. The Scotch will be ready for drinking by the State game, so I'll be bringing some to the tailgate...if I have any left. The Dunkel will be ready by UNC, and probably whatever I order next will be ready also. I'm thinking a Belgian Red.
    Where and when do I make your nomination to sainthood AND the Beer Hall of Fame?

ymm,beer

I could be wrong, but I've been told NB is expanding their distribution eastward (this according to my dad who is a distributor in Ohio, but doesn't do beer). Could be nothing but unsubstantiated hearsay. Or, you could be seeing these beers in your area in the future.

As for Avery, my guess is you can get the Holy Trinity in NC (Hog Heaven Barley Win, Salvation Golden Ale, The Reverend Belgian Quadrupel) all year. The first two are great. The Reverend can be a little too sweet for me, but is a decent after dinner beer. The other trilogies are tougher to find. They are the Dictators (The Czar Imperial Stout, The Kaiser Imperial Oktoberfest, and The Maharaja IIPA) and the demonic series (The Beast Belgian Grand Cru, Samaels English Strong Ale, Mephistopholes Stout). Anything you can find of the latter is fantastic, especially Samaels.
    Many of the Avery products are available in NC. I am not sure I have ever seen Mephistopheles (sp?), however. Getting NB products here would be wonderful.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Nothing aging for the Miami game?

Cheers,
    Lavabe