Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Who would we hire if GG left?

If Gail does go, where do we look for her replacement? I have an idea. Let's get Wojo!!! Wouldn't that be awesome?

Love, Ima

Just throwing this out there, with no real rhyme or reason, and no indication of his interest in such a position...

Why not Tommy Amaker?

Hi Ima

Hi,

I like the idea of Wojo, but I LOVE the idea of Coach Boyle from Cal. She was on G's staff at Duke, went to Duke, and is an AWESOME coach. She would be my first choice if she wanted to come back home.

GO DUKE!

For what it is worth, Jay Williams expressed an opinion today on little Packer's show that G would stay. He is contact with the players and they are confident she will remain at Duke. And yes I am embarrased that I listened to 20 minutes of the show!

I'll bite...

Quote Originally Posted by firealleva View Post
    For what it is worth, Jay Williams expressed an opinion today on little Packer's show that G would stay. He is contact with the players and they are confident she will remain at Duke. And yes I am embarrased that I listened to 20 minutes of the show!

Hi,

Why are you embarassed you listened to twenty minutes of the show?

GO DUKE!

Little Packer belittles Duke, Coach K. and about everything else he discusses. I still remember his dad as Mr. Cash and little p has a similar demeanor. John Kilgo, one of least classy "journalists" ever, is a regular on hte show. I am embarrased that I listened.

Is money the central issue...

or something more personal? She has plenty of challenges ahead at Duke I should think...but who knows.

Little Packer?

Quote Originally Posted by firealleva View Post
    Little Packer belittles Duke, Coach K. and about everything else he discusses. I still remember his dad as Mr. Cash and little p has a similar demeanor. John Kilgo, one of least classy "journalists" ever, is a regular on hte show. I am embarrased that I listened.
    Is that "packman" on 620 the bull? I find him irritating, but I really enjoy it when Gminski is on with him. Gman is a lot of fun to listen to, and they are much more lose than a game broadcast where he usually appears.

Exiled

Cal's AD Thinks So, Too

That's why the Golden Bears are working feverishly to sign Coach Boyle to a major extension. Dawn Staley (who would have been my first choice) has already leveraged the mere possibility of an opening at Duke into a huge upgrade and extension of her deal at Temple. Arizona State threw some more money at Turner-Thorne. Michigan State reworked McCallie's contract. Coach G is enriching a number of her fellow coaches.

As I said, Staley would have been my first choice. With her out of the picture, and assuming (1) Coale won't leave Oklahoma and (2) Glance won't leave State, I think my first choice is the Bowling Green coach, but that raises an interesting question. Would the Women's Studies community at Duke freak out if a male coach was brought in to coach the women's team?

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    That's why the Golden Bears are working feverishly to sign Coach Boyle to a major extension. Dawn Staley (who would have been my first choice) has already leveraged the mere possibility of an opening at Duke into a huge upgrade and extension of her deal at Temple. Arizona State threw some more money at Turner-Thorne. Michigan State reworked McCallie's contract. Coach G is enriching a number of her fellow coaches.

As I said, Staley would have been my first choice. With her out of the picture, and assuming (1) Coale won't leave Oklahoma and (2) Glance won't leave State, I think my first choice is the Bowling Green coach, but that raises an interesting question. Would the Women's Studies community at Duke freak out if a male coach was brought in to coach the women's team?
    My first coaching choice would also be the Bowling Green coach. It seems as if the B.G. community has accepted that he will leave--Michigan is interviewing him (a graveyard for women's coaches). He has settled into the town of Bowling Green and some say it will be hard for him to leave.

What about Anne Donovan?

Then both the men's and women's US National team head coaches would be at Duke!

My money would be on Coach McCallie from MSU, though.

Plus, don't forget about Carolyn Peck either.

Packman's not that bad. I listen a few times a week during basketball/football season. I like him because he's fairly honest and he gives you his opinion without a whole lot of derogatory comments (like Jim Rome, for example). When Duke is good, he'll say we're good. When we're not (like this year, or like every year in football) he'll call a spade a spade. He's a Clemson guy, so he cares more about football than basketball anyway.

I like the morning guys better. Jay Bilas calls in weekly during bball season which is always worth a listen...
    "There can BE only one."

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Would the Women's Studies community at Duke freak out if a male coach was brought in to coach the women's team?
    Absolutely and so would alot of other people. One of the things G has done is have an all female coaching staff. I hope that nevers changes at Duke. The leading choice is Boyle by far.

Girl Power!

Hey I got an idea....

How about Billy Donovan??? There are rumors everywhere that he is leaving Florida and he has gotten good at coaching girls (Noah).

Pokey Chatman? She did a hell of a job at LSU and has an unmatched winning percentage. I don't think her baggage is that difficult to overcome, she seems very likeable, has experience at a program with a lot of exposure and pressure, has won some great recruiting battles, and I'm guessing she'd come in with a big chip on her shoulder to do some great things at a big-time program. I may be wrong, but I can't think of any black head coaches at Duke off the top of my head either.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilWolf View Post
    Pokey Chatman? She did a hell of a job at LSU and has an unmatched winning percentage. I don't think her baggage is that difficult to overcome, she seems very likeable, has experience at a program with a lot of exposure and pressure, has won some great recruiting battles, and I'm guessing she'd come in with a big chip on her shoulder to do some great things at a big-time program. I may be wrong, but I can't think of any black head coaches at Duke off the top of my head either.
    I dig your final point, but that baggage is pretty high for her to be the first, second, or even third candidate with Boyle, Staley, McCallie, Donovan (and, heck, Amaker) out there (some of whom meet this "criteria" anyways). First choice, keep Coach G, if reasonably possible!

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just throwing this out there...

Hi,

Coach Tara VanDerveer at Stanford may need a change of scenery. Her teams have recently underachieved (sound familiar). I've heard alumni grumbling about her lately. Hard to believe that she would feel the heat from alumni after doing so well, but such is the life of a coach. If Coach G left, and I was the A.D., I would ask to speak with Coach VanDerveer if only to get a perspective from someone at a school that is very similar to Duke. Most other schools with powerful women's programs seem to be state schools. Anyway, Coach VanDerveer to Duke would be an interesting situation, now wouldn't it?

GO DUKE! STAY COACH G!
    Last edited by Kewlswim; 04-03-2007 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Make something a little clearer

Highlander

My experience listening to Packman is probably more negative because I usually only listen during "whiner line" as I am driving home. I find that part of the show to be ridiculous and extremely derogatory toward Duke and K.

Sometimes it is hard to differentiate between Packer's thoughts and other radio voices.

Katie Meier

How about Katie Meier, Duke Class of 1989, now head coach at Miami.
    http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/spor...r_katie00.html
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

First and foremost, I really hope Coach G decides to stay. She's built the ladies team into a dominant powerhouse that will compete for the national championship every year. In my mind, only two other programs can realistically say that... Tennessee and Connecticut.

However, if Coach G decides to leave, let me throw something out there... What about talking to Majerus (formerly at Utah) or Montgomery (formerly at Stanford)? I realize it's highly unlikely that they would "switch" from men's to women's, but it's not something that hasn't been done before (Dave Magarity (Army), for example).

As for women's coaches, Pokey is the first one that comes to mind. I realize she might have some baggage, but I think Duke would be silly to not look into her at the very least. She demonstrated at LSU that she certainly knows how to coach and can run a very successful program.