Page 44 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654941445441044 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    green bottles, beer past its expiration date or just bad beer?
    I think it was past its time--I bought it at my local beer store as a single (a big bottle). It was one of those dusty, back of the shelf finds. I will not try it again as there are way too many good beers out there to chance another bad bottle of XP.

Alaskan Beers

deveildeac, I was hoping you'd get around to Skagway, and especially the Spruce Tip. Happened to stop in there for a pint probably a week before you did, and had low expectations. Sounded more like a gimmick than a tasty beer so I was anticipating it tasting like someone dropped a piece of Wrigley's Spearmint in a bottle and let it sit for a couple hours. But our kayaking guide insisted we try it and I was pleasantly surprised. Fairly subtle, somewhat refreshing flavors of the woods. Sort of like a terroir for beer. I wouldn't go out of my way to drink it in my regular urban environment, but it was a good "Alaska experience."

The background that I'm sure you heard but other dbr nerds like me might find interesting so I'll mention it, is that apparently Captain Cook knew of the Vitamin C health benefits of spruce pine and started having it infused into beer for his sailors, so it's been a regional thing in areas he visited for a long time.

Also, it kills me that I was on a ship for a week drinking the Alaska Brewing line and steered clear of the Porter because I generally just don't enjoy heavier/darker beers in Summer. Now you tell me it's the best one! Where was this information in June?

Ah yes, the Spruce Tip. While visiting the boy child in Alaska, I found this to taste better than it sounded.

Dogfish Head-Raison D'Etre

Roasted malt and sweet fruit on the nose (almost comes off like the crunchy top of creme brulee) and a very sweet, fruity flavor. Bottle says raisins, and although I wouldn't have picked that out on my own, I can't argue with it. High ABV (8%), but the beer hides it well.

Very enjoyable although I wouldn't suggest it as a summer beer.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    deveildeac, I was hoping you'd get around to Skagway, and especially the Spruce Tip. Happened to stop in there for a pint probably a week before you did, and had low expectations. Sounded more like a gimmick than a tasty beer so I was anticipating it tasting like someone dropped a piece of Wrigley's Spearmint in a bottle and let it sit for a couple hours. But our kayaking guide insisted we try it and I was pleasantly surprised. Fairly subtle, somewhat refreshing flavors of the woods. Sort of like a terroir for beer. I wouldn't go out of my way to drink it in my regular urban environment, but it was a good "Alaska experience."

The background that I'm sure you heard but other dbr nerds like me might find interesting so I'll mention it, is that apparently Captain Cook knew of the Vitamin C health benefits of spruce pine and started having it infused into beer for his sailors, so it's been a regional thing in areas he visited for a long time.

Also, it kills me that I was on a ship for a week drinking the Alaska Brewing line and steered clear of the Porter because I generally just don't enjoy heavier/darker beers in Summer. Now you tell me it's the best one! Where was this information in June?
    I did not know of the Capt. Cook story. I do know the IPA story of how the English would brews their ales with larger amounts of hops for a higher ABV (as a preservative) so they would survive the journeys to India.

Sorry about the Porter. The info in June was still in my head as I had not enjoyed an Alaskan Porter for 2-3 years as I could only find it in Portland when we'd visit my family during December. I did not expect to find it in Alaska in June/July, either. It is a legendary beer. I had not done a review for DBR either 'cuz I have just been posting about "current" samplings.

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    Roasted malt and sweet fruit on the nose (almost comes off like the crunchy top of creme brulee) and a very sweet, fruity flavor. Bottle says raisins, and although I wouldn't have picked that out on my own, I can't argue with it. High ABV (8%), but the beer hides it well.

You should try to find the Raison D'extra sometime. Nearly black. Thick/almost viscous. Little/no head as it's tough to get those little yeasties to survive when they are marinating in about 20+% ABV. I like the Raison D'etre as a fall/winter brew, also.

Smile Ymmmmmm... beer

As devildeac suggested, it's particularly good late Fall. I had one after a fresh apple pie (no a la mode). DELICIOUS.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Oxford Organic Ale

My beer place lady suggested I try the Oxford Organic Ale Raspberry Wheat . I was grilling chicken and she wanted a report. My take is that this Baltimore based company has something that a limited group will enjoy--rather bland raspberry taste, mild malt flavor, not something I will buy again, but not horrible either. It does not (good by me) have the strong fruit flavor of say Sam Adam's Cherry. I turned down the Oberon and also Carmel Porter--a mistake, but not a horrible one.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post

Summer? Alaska? It was in the 50's and 60's during the LONG days we were there and in the 40's at night. That would have been PERFECT Alaskan Porter time. Sorry to make you feel bad.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    My beer place lady suggested I try the Oxford Organic Ale Raspberry Wheat . I was grilling chicken and she wanted a report. My take is that this Baltimore based company has something that a limited group will enjoy--rather bland raspberry taste, mild malt flavor, not something I will buy again, but not horrible either. It does not (good by me) have the strong fruit flavor of say Sam Adam's Cherry. I turned down the Oberon and also Carmel Porter--a mistake, but not a horrible one.
    Oooh, the Saranac Caramel Porter, I assume? I have not had one of those in several years. I would love to find a 6er of those this fall/winter.

Preview

Tonight, in an attempt to beat the heat (still 99 in Denver at 7:30) having a mini tasting with the neighbors. My offerings will be Dogfish Head 120 Minute IIPA (found some in the store today) and Avery "Ale to the Chief" IIPA.

Looking forward to seeing how the two stack up against each other. As an aside, the 120 Minute has quite the sticker shock--$9 for a 12oz bottle. It better be good

Oooh, the Saranac Caramel Porter, I assume? I have not had one of those in several years. I would love to find a 6er of those this fall/winter.
    Saranac seems to have brought out the camel porter earlier this year, or so it seems to me. "My" store had several cases sitting in the aisle and the dept. head said they expected more soon. A friend of mine bought three cases!!

I will purchase a couple sixers within the next few weeks. This is, in my opinion, a great after football game beer and is a favorite at our New Year's Eve beer tasting.

ymm, beer

Tonight, in an attempt to beat the heat (still 99 in Denver at 7:30) having a mini tasting with the neighbors. My offerings will be Dogfish Head 120 Minute IIPA (found some in the store today) and Avery "Ale to the Chief" IIPA.

Looking forward to seeing how the two stack up against each other. As an aside, the 120 Minute has quite the sticker shock--$9 for a 12oz bottle. It better be good
    The Dogfish Head is VERY good. I paid $8 for a 12 ounce bottle in NJ over Memorial Day and that was liquor store price, not bar/restaurant price. But, it is 20+% ABV so it is a real pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth!pottym outh!-kicker and one I can enjoy about 3 ounces of at the end of the evening-in a brandy snifter or red wine glass.

(that's a lot of pottymouths inserted by the board censors/filters)

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    Saranac seems to have brought out the camel porter earlier this year, or so it seems to me. "My" store had several cases sitting in the aisle and the dept. head said they expected more soon. A friend of mine bought three cases!!

I will purchase a couple sixers within the next few weeks. This is, in my opinion, a great after football game beer and is a favorite at our New Year's Eve beer tasting.
    I will have to do a little beer-hunting this weekend.

Dogfish Head 120-Minute IIPA

WOW. If you have a liquor store that sells this beer, go tomorrow and buy a bottle. At $9 a pop, it's a steal. The 120-Minute refers to how long the beer is hopped while boiling, but it could just easily refer to how long it will take you to finish a pint. I'm not quite at the 2 hour mark, and I have a quarter of a glass left.

Beer pours a beautiful ruby red with an off-white head that quickly evaporates. The nose is hoppy; very sweet and floral. There is no grapefruit, cannabis, or pine (so, my guess is they aren't using Cascade hops) like I expected. The smell also burns your nose with alcohol. The flavor follows suit. Sweet and sour with a whole host of fruit--apples, oranges, raisins. I'm not sure what makes this an IIPA instead of a strong ale, but, to be honest, its flavors are that of a good autumn beer, and it warms like a winter ale. Ordinarily I would pair PAs and IPAs with spciy food (Mexican, Indian, Thai) but not this beer. It's an after-dinner drink. Oh yeah, it's 21% ABV and it doesn't even try to hide it.

ymm, beer

WOW. If you have a liquor store that sells this beer, go tomorrow and buy a bottle. At $9 a pop, it's a steal. The 120-Minute refers to how long the beer is hopped while boiling, but it could just easily refer to how long it will take you to finish a pint. I'm not quite at the 2 hour mark, and I have a quarter of a glass left.

Beer pours a beautiful ruby red with an off-white head that quickly evaporates. The nose is hoppy; very sweet and floral. There is no grapefruit, cannabis, or pine (so, my guess is they aren't using Cascade hops) like I expected. The smell also burns your nose with alcohol. The flavor follows suit. Sweet and sour with a whole host of fruit--apples, oranges, raisins. I'm not sure what makes this an IIPA instead of a strong ale, but, to be honest, its flavors are that of a good autumn beer, and it warms like a winter ale. Ordinarily I would pair PAs and IPAs with spciy food (Mexican, Indian, Thai) but not this beer. It's an after-dinner drink. Oh yeah, it's 21% ABV and it doesn't even try to hide it.
    See #873 above. I thought you would like it.

See #873 above. I thought you would like it.
    The pottymouths say it all.

Unique experience, but well worth it. As a hop-head, it's a treat.

I have to crack the "Ale to the Chief" (neighbor is curious) so I'll have a small bit of it, but will definitely cork it and reserve judgment until tomorrow. Nothing should have to follow the 120-Minute.

ymm, beer

The pottymouths say it all.

Unique experience, but well worth it. As a hop-head, it's a treat.

I have to crack the "Ale to the Chief" (neighbor is curious) so I'll have a small bit of it, but will definitely cork it and reserve judgment until tomorrow. Nothing should have to follow the 120-Minute.
    Unless it is the Dogfish Head World Wide Stout from several years ago. I bought a case at about $7/12 ounce bottle and I still have several left in the cellar. Black/opaque-completely. Oily, viscous, smooth as silk. Like an outrageously rich, semi-sweet liquid dark chocolate coffee truffle. Little if any head (tough to have one at about 20% ABV) and, as you might expect, best at almost room temperature, in a snifter as an after dinner drink or dessert, like you would enjoy a fine port or sherry or brandy. I am going to have to rummage through my stored beers when I get home and have several small helpings of this next week.

ymm, beer

Front Street IPA (a brewpub beer)-pretty standard stuff here with nice hops, grapefruity nose and palate, deep golden color and a bit of floral scent. About 6% ABV.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Went to the store yesterday to get some good beer, but came home with Budweiser instead. They were selling 24 pack cases for 11 bucks each, limit of two. I got my limit, hard to beat that price.

P.S. Budweiser actually is good beer, but I was shopping for a micro ale.