Documentary of '91-'92 teams coming Selection Sunday

Just to give you a heads up -- 8 p.m. on Mar. 11 (Selection Sunday) -- TruTV will air this documentary about Duke's back-to-back championship seasons. The film was preoduced by Grant Hill and Christian Laettner:

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-...1-92-back-back

I can't wait to tune in and watch this. I'm sure all the Duke Haters will now say that we are getting special treatment by TRU TV. Oh well.

Looks great, hard to believe it's been 20 years, seems like yesterday. Makes me (and probably others here) feel old!

This looks awesome and can't wait to see it. Glad they didn't go with the obvious title "Uncle Toms and Rich White Kids: Combination to a Repeat"

Now speaking of other awesome documentaries with a Duke twist the one done on Bob Hurley Sr. "The Streets End Here" was amazing and if you haven't seen it it is a must see. Nice insight from Bobby and Danny Hurley too. The showing I saw had a post interview with Bob Sr. Bobby and Danny hosted by Jay Williams and that was very good too.

But glad to see a nice documentary done on that '91 and '92 team. One of the great teams in my history as a Duke fan.

Quote Originally Posted by mkline09 View Post
    This looks awesome and can't wait to see it. Glad they didn't go with the obvious title "Uncle Toms and Rich White Kids: Combination to a Repeat"

Now speaking of other awesome documentaries with a Duke twist the one done on Bob Hurley Sr. "The Streets End Here" was amazing and if you haven't seen it it is a must see. Nice insight from Bobby and Danny Hurley too. The showing I saw had a post interview with Bob Sr. Bobby and Danny hosted by Jay Williams and that was very good too.

But glad to see a nice documentary done on that '91 and '92 team. One of the great teams in my history as a Duke fan.
    The Street Stops Here was every bit as good, if not better in my opinion, as Hoop Dreams as a documentary on high school basketball. Remarkable stuff the Hurley family has done for the St. Anthony's program, and, more importanty, for so many kids from impoverished, crime-stricken areas of New Jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    The Street Stops Here was every bit as good, if not better in my opinion, as Hoop Dreams as a documentary on high school basketball. Remarkable stuff the Hurley family has done for the St. Anthony's program, and, more importanty, for so many kids from impoverished, crime-stricken areas of New Jersey.
    Yeah, it was a great documentary. From an outsider, you expect some of these high school power houses to have great facilities (as most of them are similar to college programs). I was amazed to see that they have to rent out a gym for practices and use a make-shift area for strength training. It serves as a testament to Mr Hurley that he built such a great program with little or no resources.

I caught a screening of this documentary last week, and it was great. There was very good participation, including a notable Kentucky player. Definitely set the DVR!

Wish I'd of known they were there, I would have been right there at Sat's!

I have to log in into my dvr list. I am sure this will be a keeper.
    Let me add the "Uncle Tom" reference didn't really bother me once I watched their documentary.

Man, Eric Meeks has the full Bilas hair thing going on, and some of those guys definitely look like 20 years have passed. Cool doc though.

Really?

Isn't Laettner supposed to be trying to find a coaching job? When did he have time to produce a tv show? I am not claiming special treatment to Duke by Tru TV. However, I am saying that Duke haters just won't watch. I respect the Duke basketball program but I can safely say that I hate that 1992 team. I am wondering what kind of gloves will be used when that regional final game is mentioned in the program. Go Duke Beat UNC!!

BTW, did I see Laettner sitting with the Riverseseses at the FSU game? Sure looked like him.

Just saw the screening of the documentary in Cameron earlier tonight. As someone who was only 1 and 2 years old during the back-to-back title run, this was truly amazing to see. There are a lot of great interviews, even including one from Shaq. I especially enjoyed how they showed the development of Hurley and Laettner's relationship over the years - what a terrific production by Hill and Laettner.

As a side note, Bob Knight definitely stole the show with a couple of scenes of his. I don't want to spoil it, but the combination of his delivery and deadpan tone with his statement got everyone laughing.

I thoroughly enjoyed the screening last night! Calvin and Janet Hill were sitting just behind me above the rail, while I was on the padded seats below it! It ran about 1:10; I wonder if they'll edit it down to one hour when they show it on TV?

And yeah, Bobby Knight's comments about Michigan/The Fab Five were fabulous!

GO TO HELL, carolina, GO TO HELL!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

"we kicked their I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.",,,, great quote from this article

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebask...at-duke-022512

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    This sounds very intersting. Where/when did it originally air or was it just on good ole vhs? I'd love to buy a copy of that if I could find it.

As some mentioned above, it is hard to believe that it's been 20 years. I was in 7th and 8th grade during those championship runs. I was already a Duke fan despite having many older family members that hadgone to Carolina and were huge basketball fans. This included my grandmother who was a huge Carolina fan. Watching a Duke/UNC game at her house was as entertaing as watching Saturday night "wrastlin'" with her. She'd shake her cane at her mammouth floor model Zenith because Carolina wasn't getting any calls(of course).

I remember looking at the players and thinking they were so much older than me, and now I look at our current players and they barely look old enough to drive a car.

Oh, and GTHC.
    Last edited by left_hook_lacey; 03-03-2012 at 09:28 AM. Reason: no spell check on this opera

Quote Originally Posted by Duke76 View Post
    "we kicked their I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.",,,, great quote from this article

Thanks for sharing that great article. I love Laettner's defense of Hill's career:

"That's a shame. He shouldn't be remembered most for that pass," Laettner said. "He should be remembered as the guy who was putting up LeBron James-like numbers in the NBA before anybody had ever heard of LeBron James. Before Grant broke his ankle twice and almost died from an infection, he was doing stuff that only Oscar Robertson had done before him.
    greatest dynasties
    Greatest sports dynasties
    With four national titles, Duke is a perennial college hoops power. But it's got nothing on these sports dynasties.

"I was on the Pistons with Grant for a few seasons, and if we had better teammates on that team, he would have averaged a triple-double for the year. But we just had some selfish people and bad coaches. Had we had the right guys in that locker room, we would have been a lot better. Grant's one of the best players of his generation. That play should not define Grant Hill the basketball player."

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke76 View Post
    "we kicked their a***s.",,,, great quote from this article

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Thanks for sharing that great article. I love Laettner's defense of Hill's career:
    Me too. The edge in Laettner's tone through most of the article is classic Laettner. And yes, Duke did kick the Fab Fives' a***s.

Anywhere else to watch Documentary instead of TruTV

Unfortunately, here in Cali, as of Feb 1, we dont get TruTV with Comcast regular cable plan. Does anyone know if the Documentary will be re-aired on another one of Tuners sister channels like TNT or TBS?
    Last edited by Johnny Chill; 03-03-2012 at 12:24 PM.