Page 4 of 76 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    Or they could save some money and just send him through airport security.

From the above article:

Irving is averaging 17.4 points, 5.1 assists and 3.8 rebounds and has been the top freshman in the country as the defending champion Blue Devils have gotten off to an 8-0 start.

How can that be possible when we know that HB was anointed as the preseason all-American?

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDuke Dad View Post
    From the above article:

Irving is averaging 17.4 points, 5.1 assists and 3.8 rebounds and has been the top freshman in the country as the defending champion Blue Devils have gotten off to an 8-0 start.

How can that be possible when we know that HB was anointed as the preseason all-American?
    HB = best freshman in the country before anyone actually plays a game.

KI = best freshman in teh country when folks actually start playing games.

Expectation v. reality.

I've heard the remedy for a bad toe is to put it in hot water and Epsom salt.

Quote Originally Posted by gewwang View Post
    I've heard the remedy for a bad toe is to put it in hot water and Epsom salt.
    That's the remedy if you're a Carolina fan.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden;454656I
    I've always wondered if there is something at the Cameron floor that contributes to it.
    I doubt it. CIS's floor was replaced perhaps ten years ago (or slightly more), and the job was both extensive and very expensive. At that time I remember reading and hearing that much of the "extra" cost was required to increase the floor's total depth, which allowed (among other elements) a far better sub-flooring -- designed to cushion -- below the hardwood. This, incidentally, further necessitated many other associated modifications, such as re-framing and replacing doors to accommodate the "thicker" floor. In addition, the K Center is essentially brand new, so it -- too -- doubtless has the latest in basketball court technology. In summary, I suspect both areas where the team plays and practices at Duke have new floors that certainly are designed to preclude injury.

Timing couldn't be better if this had to happen. Four top of the charts foes like Bradley, St. Louis, Elon, and UNCG gives Kyrie a chance to rest preventing a Jon or Kyle type effect of "hitting the wall" late in the season of their freshmen years. Plus it gives Dre, Seth andThorton some valuable PT better preparing them for our March run if called upon. I love Nolan but his handle is sometimes suspect imo when he tries to pull a Kyrie by taking it to the hoop in traffic.

i think you've hit the nail on the head regarding nolan. ball handling/one'on'one play seem to be when he stumbles; his strength as a player seems to be finding seams.

I trust K and company, but it seems to me that if we've got Nolan, Tyler, Seth and Dre, we've got more than enough ball handling and firepower to let KI fully heal.

Lord, have mercy.

hurleyfor3

Nice picture of signs in Colorado. Driven by that spot more times than I can count.

Sorry now back to the thread!

foot injuries

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    I know - but the point is wear and tear -- they practice every day there for far more hours than they play games (whether Cameron or not) and it seems like every year we have one of these. If I put together a list of all the guys who've suffered broken feet or had similar issues, I think it would look like a lot.

I can start with Hurley, Boozer, Brand, Irving, Paulus, Zoubek and Collins. Remember this thread?
    As Ozzie noted, Irving's injury occurred in the Izod Center -- not Cameron. And Hurley's broken foot occured in the Smith Center, not Cameron.

For the record, the Robbins Bio-Channel Star is apparently the modern-day equivalent of the floor Duke installed back in 1997. I've actually played a little on the Cameron court -- uh... they used to leave an obscure side door unlocked late at night -- and it definitely felt nice and cushioned.

I happen to do a little running, and one relatively common way to get injured is to go from a softer surface, like a track, to a relatively harder surface like the sidewalk without ramping up sufficiently. If I were so inclined -- which I'm not necessarily saying I am -- I'd say that injuries suffered on the road could conceivably stem from such an occurrence. I guess I'm just saying that the fact that injuries occurred on the road may not explain away softer home floors as the root of the issue. In fact, quite the contrary.

Change the offense?

Without Kyrie I will be curious to see if Duke plays a more deliberate style on offense, running shooters off screens and give and go plays with more interior passing. Also I wonder if Duke will rely on the big lineup more or if the extra minutes will go to Seth and Tyler. On defense I see no reason that we don’t continue to press even with the big lineup.

My guess is that Coach K. will still want to run since that is the preferred offense this year and it still needs some work. Especially since we should win regardless of what offense we use. Also I’m guessing the extra minutes will be spread around among the guards and the bigs. My preference would be to try one game with a big lineup and a more deliberate style and the next with Tyler running the break to see how well he can handle it. Not to get to far ahead but I wonder if we have a point guard to run with next year between, Seth, Tyler, Quinn and Austin if Kyrie declares.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Without Kyrie I will be curious to see if Duke plays a more deliberate style on offense, running shooters off screens and give and go plays with more interior passing. Also I wonder if Duke will rely on the big lineup more or if the extra minutes will go to Seth and Tyler. On defense I see no reason that we don’t continue to press even with the big lineup.

My guess is that Coach K. will still want to run since that is the preferred offense this year and it still needs some work. Especially since we should win regardless of what offense we use. Also I’m guessing the extra minutes will be spread around among the guards and the bigs. My preference would be to try one game with a big lineup and a more deliberate style and the next with Tyler running the break to see how well he can handle it. Not to get to far ahead but I wonder if we have a point guard to run with next year between, Seth, Tyler, Quinn and Austin if Kyrie declares.
    Looks like this post should go in the Bradley pre-game thread. Mods feel free to move it if you agree.

Just let Seth start and Tyler get some significant minutes along side of Dre. No need to risk Kyrie this early in the season prior to ACC play. We have plenty of weapons to dispose of Bradley w/o Kyrie. I love to watch the kid play but let him rest as I'm sure K will.

Excited to see what Ty can do!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    As Ozzie noted, Irving's injury occurred in the Izod Center -- not Cameron. And Hurley's broken foot occured in the Smith Center, not Cameron.
    Does this mean the team has been playing too many "true road games?"

Hurley's injury was to his knee, not his foot.

I was at the 1992 game in Chapel Hill. For what it's worth, we were leading 17-11 when Hurley got hurt and came out. A few plays later, he came back in with unc up 18-17. Remember it extremely well.
    Last edited by hurleyfor3; 12-07-2010 at 04:49 PM.

hurley

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post

I was at the 1992 game in Chapel Hill. For what it's worth, we were leading 17-11 when Hurley got hurt and came out. A few plays later, he came back in with unc up 18-17. Remember it extremely well.
    Apparently not so well.

Hurley's injury was a broken bone in his foot (can't find a link on-line, but check page 216 of the Duke Basketball Encyclopedia to confirm).

Your memory of the circumstanes of the injury may be right, although I remember it as later in the first half ... he definitely came back and played 37 minutes in the game, which Duke lost by two points. He then missed the next five games.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post

Please turn in your nickname.

old DBR thread on Foot Notes