Thread: PGA Playoffs

PGA Playoffs

Just a quick question... and I suppose we can use this thread to talk about the FedEx Cup because the other thread about Mickelson skipping this week's event has dropped down a bit and I was too lazy to look for it

Ok, here is my question-- These are playoffs, right? You have a regular season to qualify for the playoffs and then you have a playoff. What matters, once you reach the playoffs, is how well you play in the playoffs, right?

Cause that sure ain't the way this crazy thing works. I want to know how Vijay Singh can possibly be playing in next week's Tour Championship. I know the guy had his typical excellent season but lately-- NOW THAT THE PLAYOFFS ARE HERE-- he has been terrible.

He missed the cut at the PGA, then he missed the cut at the Barclays in the "first round" of the playoffs. Last week he came in 60th. This week there is no cut in the event so he will make money again, but he is currently 62nd out of 66 players. Uhhhh, that's BAAAAD!

And yet, he is perfectly safe and will qualify for the Tour Championship next week-- no problem. Heck, there may even be some crazy set of circumstances which would allow him to WIN THE FEDEX CUP if he wins next week-- despite the fact that he has thus far been godawful in the "playoffs."

The PGA needs to really work on how this whole thing works and make it make more sense to people.

--Jason "amazing how up-and-down some golfers are" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Just a quick question... and I suppose we can use this thread to talk about the FedEx Cup because the other thread about Mickelson skipping this week's event has dropped down a bit and I was too lazy to look for it

Ok, here is my question-- These are playoffs, right? You have a regular season to qualify for the playoffs and then you have a playoff. What matters, once you reach the playoffs, is how well you play in the playoffs, right?

Cause that sure ain't the way this crazy thing works. I want to know how Vijay Singh can possibly be playing in next week's Tour Championship. I know the guy had his typical excellent season but lately-- NOW THAT THE PLAYOFFS ARE HERE-- he has been terrible.

He missed the cut at the PGA, then he missed the cut at the Barclays in the "first round" of the playoffs. Last week he came in 60th. This week there is no cut in the event so he will make money again, but he is currently 62nd out of 66 players. Uhhhh, that's BAAAAD!

And yet, he is perfectly safe and will qualify for the Tour Championship next week-- no problem. Heck, there may even be some crazy set of circumstances which would allow him to WIN THE FEDEX CUP if he wins next week-- despite the fact that he has thus far been godawful in the "playoffs."

The PGA needs to really work on how this whole thing works and make it make more sense to people.

--Jason "amazing how up-and-down some golfers are" Evans
    I think you hit on the fact that golf does not lend itself to a playoff concept. Golf is a timing game. Like hitting a baseball is a timing thing or hitting a tennis ball is a timing thing. It is easy to be out of rhythm at any time. An upset stomach, aching muscle, angry wife - almost anything can affect a person's timing. Ups and downs are the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I think you hit on the fact that golf does not lend itself to a playoff concept. Golf is a timing game. Like hitting a baseball is a timing thing or hitting a tennis ball is a timing thing. It is easy to be out of rhythm at any time. An upset stomach, aching muscle, angry wife - almost anything can affect a person's timing. Ups and downs are the norm.
    Except if your name is Tiger. It is stunning how often he is on the front page of the leaderboard.

-Jason "his top ten percentage is unreal" Evans

Cause that sure ain't the way this crazy thing works. I want to know how Vijay Singh can possibly be playing in next week's Tour Championship.

I have no idea...but if they If they say 'survive, advance' one more time I'm going to throw a basketball at the TV.
    Windsor (aka Loni)

a wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age

PGA PLayoffs

Actually I think the concept could work, especially if the players' suggestions taken into account. NO, 4 in 4 weeks is truly unacceptable. NO, the prize money should not be doled out over years. NO, 3 of the 4 should not be played in ridiculously HOT BOILING states in the months of Aug & Sept.

I agree with the post that suggests a reduction of points for a player 'skipping' a tournament --- that is, if the rules/concept is tweaked.

Golf should be able to generate excitement and intrigue through a playoff system...if they get to work on the current faults.

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    Actually I think the concept could work, especially if the players' suggestions taken into account. NO, 4 in 4 weeks is truly unacceptable. NO, the prize money should not be doled out over years. NO, 3 of the 4 should not be played in ridiculously HOT BOILING states in the months of Aug & Sept.

I agree with the post that suggests a reduction of points for a player 'skipping' a tournament --- that is, if the rules/concept is tweaked.

Golf should be able to generate excitement and intrigue through a playoff system...if they get to work on the current faults.
    Here is how I would do the Playoffs.

1) No way should to the top 115 or whatever it is qualify for the first round. Playoffs are for the best, not for virtually everyone. you already get to keep your Tour card by finishing in the top 125 (or something like that). The "Playoffs" are for the top 60 or 70 at the most. Frankly, if you are not in the top 60 or 70 then you don't deserve to be in the playoffs anyway. I'd start with 60 players.

2) I'd make it start 2 weeks after the PGA. Give everyone a week off. Also, it would last 3 weeks, not 4. I might also schedule a week off after the first 2 tournaments to build some hype for the third and give the players a break. Perhaps the Ryder Cup or Prez Cup could be in that off-week.

3) These are playoffs so I would eliminate players every week. If we start off with 60 guys in week one, then we go down to 40 in week 2 and then 20 for the Tour Championship.

4) The points system would make a lot more sense. I'd still give extra points to the people at the top of the money list (or whatever) in the regular season, but I would structure it so that not quite so much weight was put on winning an event. The way it works now there is a huge difference between first and second but a very tiny difference between finishing 8th and 48th. Frankly, if you place in the top 10 and are really in contention, you deserve a lot more credit than the guy who just mailed it in and never even sniffed the leaderboard. I might also give bonus points for low-round on any given day and perhaps also to the day 2 and day 3 leaders.

5) After the three tournaments were done, the 3 guys who are at the top of the standings would all fly to Hawaii for a final showdown on Wednesday night (they fly Sunday and practice Monday and Tuesday). We do it in Hawaii so we can broadcast it on Prime Time network TV. It would be a stroke play, not match-play, format and they would be in one threesome. Ready for the best part? The winner gets 2 or 3 million dollars. Runner up gets a set of steak knives. Third place gets fired. Ok, not exactly, but third place gets nothing. Yeah, they make other money for their performance in the other tournaments in the "Playoffs" but to really hit it big, you have to win this prime-time matchup. Heck, maybe make it so that 2nd and 3rd both get nothing. The fans would just eat up the concept of a showdown for a huge payoff.

--Jason "tell me this would not be gigantic!" Evans

Here is how I would do the Playoffs.

1) No way should to the top 115 or whatever it is qualify for the first round. Playoffs are for the best, not for virtually everyone. you already get to keep your Tour card by finishing in the top 125 (or something like that). The "Playoffs" are for the top 60 or 70 at the most. Frankly, if you are not in the top 60 or 70 then you don't deserve to be in the playoffs anyway. I'd start with 60 players.

2) I'd make it start 2 weeks after the PGA. Give everyone a week off. Also, it would last 3 weeks, not 4. I might also schedule a week off after the first 2 tournaments to build some hype for the third and give the players a break. Perhaps the Ryder Cup or Prez Cup could be in that off-week.

3) These are playoffs so I would eliminate players every week. If we start off with 60 guys in week one, then we go down to 40 in week 2 and then 20 for the Tour Championship.

4) The points system would make a lot more sense. I'd still give extra points to the people at the top of the money list (or whatever) in the regular season, but I would structure it so that not quite so much weight was put on winning an event. The way it works now there is a huge difference between first and second but a very tiny difference between finishing 8th and 48th. Frankly, if you place in the top 10 and are really in contention, you deserve a lot more credit than the guy who just mailed it in and never even sniffed the leaderboard. I might also give bonus points for low-round on any given day and perhaps also to the day 2 and day 3 leaders.

5) After the three tournaments were done, the 3 guys who are at the top of the standings would all fly to Hawaii for a final showdown on Wednesday night (they fly Sunday and practice Monday and Tuesday). We do it in Hawaii so we can broadcast it on Prime Time network TV. It would be a stroke play, not match-play, format and they would be in one threesome. Ready for the best part? The winner gets 2 or 3 million dollars. Runner up gets a set of steak knives. Third place gets fired. Ok, not exactly, but third place gets nothing. Yeah, they make other money for their performance in the other tournaments in the "Playoffs" but to really hit it big, you have to win this prime-time matchup. Heck, maybe make it so that 2nd and 3rd both get nothing. The fans would just eat up the concept of a showdown for a huge payoff.

--Jason "tell me this would not be gigantic!" Evans
    I like your plan. I agree that the present format includes too many but, the Players Association objects to tourneys that are restrictive below the 144 field. See Tiger's Invitational tourney this year with 120. I like the final with winner take all. Make it $5,000,000 - a "rounder" number. Also I might consider making the final a foursome. The final Four like in some other sports. A little catchy music that could get soooooo old and you have an instant classic.

Agreed

I agree with Jason's post. As it stands it's counterproductive. Give the golfers a break, and make the 'prize' awesome (in cash). It could be an exciting time, with great TV ratings, if some adjustments are made.

Hopefully.... that will happen next year. Looking forward to next weeks play. And especially the President's Cup to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    I agree with Jason's post. As it stands it's counterproductive. Give the golfers a break, and make the 'prize' awesome (in cash). It could be an exciting time, with great TV ratings, if some adjustments are made.

Hopefully.... that will happen next year. Looking forward to next weeks play. And especially the President's Cup to follow.
    Next week will be dull. Tiger has enough of a lead that Strick or Mick need to win to beat him. Unless one of those guys is at the top of the leaderboard, it will be all finished. Heck, Mick can win it and will not win the FedEx Cup if Tiger finishes 2nd.

It will also be a strange tournament because East Lake is a wreck due to the summer of oppressive heat here in Atlanta. The players are not even allowed to practice this week because the greens are so bad. I bet you see some horrible misreads because the players are going to be hitting these greens for the first time when the tourney starts... no practice rounds. Yikes!

As an aside, The President's Cup should be awesome... if America can keep it close. The World team should have a stunning lineup of KJ Choi, Vijay, Els, Sabbatini, Badddeley, Adam Scott, and Geoff Ogilvy. Sure, the US has Tiger, Phil, Stricker, and Furyk but the World Team has more depth, IMO.

-Jason "wait-- I just found out that Baddeley did not make the team... too bad for the World team" Evans