Calling Ubiratan De Freitas!

I know you're in your seventies, now, Ubi. But if you're healthy and can make it to Durham from wherever you are, your alma mater needs you once again. I'm sure they can find you a megaphone.

For the non-historical readers of the DBR, from 1961-62, Ubi was the head cheerleader. During those years, IIRC, Duke did not lose any home games. And Ubi always got the student crowd into it. There was something magical about him. (No doubt his magic was enhanced by the Blue Devil teams of the era that went 7-3 and 8-2, respectively--preceded by the 1961 Cotton Bowl team which went 8-3.)

I have no idea where Ubi is now, but if we can find his crowd magic, the students will come. And the wins will come, too.

!Ubi!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    I know you're in your seventies, now, Ubi. But if you're healthy and can make it to Durham from wherever you are, your alma mater needs you once again. I'm sure they can find you a megaphone.

For the non-historical readers of the DBR, from 1961-62, Ubi was the head cheerleader. During those years, IIRC, Duke did not lose any home games. And Ubi always got the student crowd into it. There was something magical about him. (No doubt his magic was enhanced by the Blue Devil teams of the era that went 7-3 and 8-2, respectively--preceded by the 1961 Cotton Bowl team which went 8-3.)

I have no idea where Ubi is now, but if we can find his crowd magic, the students will come. And the wins will come, too.

!Ubi!
    No clues in the alumni directory.

When I was at duke in late 70's-early 80's we had some one named bobby doorah (sp) leading the cheers. That couldn't have been his real name, was it?

Quote Originally Posted by robobevan View Post
    When I was at duke in late 70's-early 80's we had some one named bobby doorah (sp) leading the cheers. That couldn't have been his real name, was it?
    Bobby was great!
    We got the fever! We're hot! We can't be stopped! We got the fever! We're hot! We can't be stopped! ...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Bobby was great!
    We got the fever! We're hot! We can't be stopped! We got the fever! We're hot! We can't be stopped! ...
    Didn't you miss the second "We're hot" each time? The repeat is how I remember the cheer.

Quote Originally Posted by robobevan View Post
    Bring back the "sonic boom"! I think it was from that same time, with Bobby Dura (for some reason that spelling seems right to me) leading the way. The "sonic boom" went like this: the students would jump up & down, wave their arms, basically go "crazy", but without uttering a sound. They would then sit down... and then they would scream and cheer as loud as they could. Sort of a dopler effect... you see it before you hear it. Looked, and sounded, really cool from the away side.
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil