Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    What a stupid pictorial, at least they could bother taking a minute or two to write their reasoning with each players. Not only do G and Shane not deserve to be on that list, but probably over half don't. There is a big difference between being "dirty" and a tough competitor. Basketball is insanely physical, but because you fight hard for the points does not mean you play dirty. Now if you coldcock a guy after you dunk the ball...
    Well, it was based on a poll of over 100 NBA players, so it might be unwieldy to put together the reasoning.

While I agree there's a theoretical difference between being dirty and being a tough competitor, there's a fair amount of overlap. A dirty player is often merely a tough competitor if you happen to be lucky enough to have one on your squad.

In other Battier news, how about his characterization of LBJ:

"He is a global icon, a basket-ball monolith, the most prevalent and recognizable athlete of our generation," says Battier. "And he's one of a kind, because he's the first to rise to prominence in the Information Age, which is why he's such a fascinating sociological observation. He's accountable every single day for every single thing, from how he plays to what he tweets to what he says in the pre- and the postgame interviews. He has a camera and a microphone on him wherever he goes, and then when he [goes out to] dinner, there's a camera phone on him. This is what he signed up for. There is a price to pay. He understands that. But I don't think a lot of guys could handle it."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1t57wMxAE

JJ lighting it up tonight against the Bobcats--16 first half points with 4/5 from beyond the arc.

Quote Originally Posted by House G View Post
    JJ lighting it up tonight against the Bobcats--16 first half points with 4/5 from beyond the arc.
    Of course, playing the Bobcats is like playing against college competition again.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by House G View Post
    JJ finished with a career high 31 points as Orlando defeated Charlotte 102-95.
    Bob Green

JJ - career high

JJ finishes with 31 (6/10 from three point range)- a new career high- as the depleted Magic managed to hold off the inept Bobcats and secure the 6th seed in the Eastern Conference playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by mike88 View Post
    JJ finishes with 31 (6/10 from three point range)- a new career high- as the depleted Magic managed to hold off the inept Bobcats and secure the 6th seed in the Eastern Conference playoffs.
    Well that must make MJ happy as a lark!!! Got to love it when a Dukie sticks it to anything related to MJ!

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Well that must make MJ happy as a lark!!! Got to love it when a Dukie sticks it to anything related to MJ!
    Everyone in the NBA stuck to MJ.

The Bobcats were horrendous this year - I feel really bad for Hendo...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Of course, playing the Bobcats is like playing against college competition again.
    Are you sure they're that good?

Question:

Does anyone in North Carolina get the Bobcats on their FOXsports affiliate? I have Fox Sports South but the games are NEVER televised despite it being scheduled programming. I assumed they blacked out all local games, but EVEN AWAY GAMES are not shown -- they usually just replay crap. I'm in mountains...

oh and I have Charter...so no issues with the DirectTV/Dish.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    they usually just replay crap.
    And yet that is somehow still better than the Bobcats game.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Question:

Does anyone in North Carolina get the Bobcats on their FOXsports affiliate? I have Fox Sports South but the games are NEVER televised despite it being scheduled programming. I assumed they blacked out all local games, but EVEN AWAY GAMES are not shown -- they usually just replay crap. I'm in mountains...

oh and I have Charter...so no issues with the DirectTV/Dish.
    I was wondering about this earlier in the season...I have Time Warner.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I was wondering about this earlier in the season...I have Time Warner.
    I know that Dish and DirectTV are blacked out beyond 75miles because they refuse to pay the extended broadcasting fee, but I have heard nothing about Time Warner or Charter and FSS.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Wow! Lance logged the most minutes of anyone on either team last night, with 46 in a loss to Houston. He totalled 11 points, 8 boards, 2 blocks, 1 steal...and in all that time only picked up 3 fouls. Sweet.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Wow! Lance logged the most minutes of anyone on either team last night, with 46 in a loss to Houston. He totalled 11 points, 8 boards, 2 blocks, 1 steal...and in all that time only picked up 3 fouls. Sweet.
    Lance had a nice game! Good to see him get enough PT to get into the rhythm of games now.

Gerald and Nolan also had very nice nights -- G 21pts in a loss as Charlotte became the worst basketball team in history. Nolan had 16 and 7. Boozer had 9 pts in just 14 minutes in a win over the Cavs.

NBA Playoff Matchups!

In the East the #1 Bulls (Deng & Boozer) take on the #8 76ers (Brand). Starts Saturday at 1.
    --the #2 Heat (Battier) take on the #7 Knicks. Saturday at 3:30.
    --the #3 Pacers (Jones) take on the #6 Orlando (Redick and Duhon). Saturday at 7.

In the West the #3 Lakers (McRoberts) take on the #6 Denver Nuggets. Sunday at 3:30.

Lance had a nice game! Good to see him get enough PT to get into the rhythm of games now.

Gerald and Nolan also had very nice nights -- G 21pts in a loss as Charlotte became the worst basketball team in history. Nolan had 16 and 7. Boozer had 9 pts in just 14 minutes in a win over the Cavs.

NBA Playoff Matchups!

In the East the #1 Bulls (Deng & Boozer) take on the #8 76ers (Brand). Starts Saturday at 1.
    --the #2 Heat (Battier) take on the #7 Knicks. Saturday at 3:30.
    --the #3 Pacers (Jones) take on the #6 Orlando (Redick and Duhon). Saturday at 7.

In the West the #3 Lakers (McRoberts) take on the #6 Denver Nuggets. Sunday at 3:30.
    In addition, former Duke players coaching in Atlanta (Bob Bender), Los Angeles (Quin Snyder), San Antonio (Chip Engelland) ... and in the front office in Memphis (Tony Barone)

... and aren't OK City and Boston owners from Duke?

... and two Duke parents are head coaches (Rivers and Collins).

JJ potential

I feel like JJ could win 6th man of the year if he played with a contender. Playing for the Magic with garbage Nelson at point is hindering him from reaching Jason Terry like numbers and big shots. Magic are a dysfunctional bunch for sure, but JJ is exceeding expectations and continues to hit (duke)buckets!

PS - 1st post

Old video from 1991-1992 season: Duke pounds St. Johns

Speaking of Blue Devils in the NBA...

Here's some old video I found the other day in my VHS collection.

Hurley and the gang turn it on big time midway through the game.

I still say that 1992 team was the best team ever.

They never lost when healthy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poYowPWshhY

Quote Originally Posted by DukeHB11 View Post

I still say that 1992 team was the best team ever.

They never lost when healthy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poYowPWshhY
    Hands down.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukebuckets View Post
    I feel like JJ could win 6th man of the year if he played with a contender. Playing for the Magic with garbage Nelson at point is hindering him from reaching Jason Terry like numbers and big shots. Magic are a dysfunctional bunch for sure, but JJ is exceeding expectations and continues to hit (duke)buckets!

PS - 1st post
    And a fine first post at that. I agree. Welcome to the board! JJ has proven he can play and contribute on a good team. I really wish the Magic would have let him go to Chicago. If he can ever play on a good team with a good PG, teammates that have faith in him, and play with the confidence he played with in College, I think JJ has another gear he can show. When he is playing with full belief in himself, JJ is one of the best shooters in the world. I have often thought Boston would be a good fit for him as well.

One thing is for sure, JJ has proven all the doubters wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    And a fine first post at that. I agree. Welcome to the board! JJ has proven he can play and contribute on a good team. I really wish the Magic would have let him go to Chicago. If he can ever play on a good team with a good PG, teammates that have faith in him, and play with the confidence he played with in College, I think JJ has another gear he can show. When he is playing with full belief in himself, JJ is one of the best shooters in the world. I have often thought Boston would be a good fit for him as well.

One thing is for sure, JJ has proven all the doubters wrong.
    I actually feel that JJ has reached his potential in the NBA. Aside from the train wreck that Orlando became in the second half of this year, he has had a very good run with them and they have been very good for a while. I think Stan Van Gundy was a great coach for him, they played a style that suited his talents to a T, and he has gotten plenty of playing time and played prominent minutes in the NBA Finals, and has been in 43 playoff games. I used to feel the way you did about his potential but I've watched tons of his games the last few years and really feel like he's not a featured player. He's an excellent role player who struggles when asked to be "the man". He could score more on a worse team, but I don't see him as a top 3 option on a playoff team. A top 5 option...yes.